THE SLOPERIAN - NEW FANZINE.

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Raven

Re: THE SLOPERIAN - NEW FANZINE.

Post by Raven »

Lew Stringer wrote: Yes, although strips about jolly tramps had become old hat (no pun intended) after 60 years.
We still got The Upper Crusts and the Lazy Loafers in Whoopee for tramp chortles!

I haven't read it yet, but I have my Sloperian and it looks good.

Terry

Post by Terry »

just ordered a copy :up:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

While packing some boxes this afternoon that will go to Cornwall, one of the items that evaded the cull was issue 1 of The Sloperian, which appeared in Summer 2012. Has anybody been informed about a publication date for issue 2?

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

never came across issue 2
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Richard S. wrote:Never came across issue 2
Well then, I wonder how much my full run is worth. I could be sitting on a fortune. :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hard to believe it's six years since the first issue came out; it still seems like yesterday to me! :shock:

babington

Post by babington »

Sounds great. And there are three issues of "Ally Sloper's Half Holiday" in Phil Comics's latest auction this Saturday to boot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Still waiting for issue 2. Just not expecting it, not any longer anyway. Perhaps the authors have shuffled off their mortal coil.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:Still waiting for issue 2. Just not expecting it, not any longer anyway. Perhaps the authors have shuffled off their mortal coil.
Hi Derek! Great to have you back. It's a long time ago but I think I contributed something to 'The Sloperian' and my mortal coil still appears to be in working order, at least it was the last time I looked!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Kashgar wrote:my mortal coil still appears to be in working order, at least it was the last time I looked
That is very pleasing to know, Ray, otherwise I will have been on the phone to a spook the other day.

In about half an hour I will be starting on the definitive list of what in my opinion are the standout serials from the eleven story papers for girls from D.C. Thomsons, the 3-line summaries of which will appear in BUNTY AND HER SISTERS - The Great Stories. My calculator, only a Home Bargains one that cost less than £1 so it might not be all that accurate, informs me that 2000 title summaries at 13 per page, as in my THIS WAS THE WIZARD, will require 154 pages. The heading block illustrations will require a further 95 pages. There will not be a list of the story titles printed at the end of the book because, as I think I have already mentioned, I will be presenting the summaries in alphabetical order. The INTRODUCTION will be informative but relatively short, and the information above each 3-line summary will present the issue numbers and dates for the first and last instalments, but where in THIS WAS THE WIZARD I wrote Artist = Fred Sturrock, or whoever, given that I can't be relied on to recognise an artist's work, in that position I will just put MANDY or BUNTY or SUZY or whatever, to indicate which story paper contains that specific serial. In the interests of my bank balance, all completes, summer specials and annuals will be ignored, especially as I will immediately be starting to write the companion volume, to be called ADVENTURE AND HIS BROTHERS - The Great Stories. My thinking on this book, while still in its infancy, is tending towards including, in addition to the best serials from the text story papers for boys, the pick of the serials in picture story papers such as THE VICTOR, THE NEW HOTSPUR, BUDDY, SPIKE, CHAMP and BULLET.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

great news! Good luck with it all
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Richard S. wrote:great news! Good luck with it all
Thanks, Richard. Doesn't time fly? It must be a couple of years since we met in Wimbledon. What a job we had that evening finding a pub where we could actually hear each other!!!