What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Space Adventures #50 (#1) - L Miller - 1953
Tom and Jerry #1 - Nabisco - 1972
Emma #1 - DCT - 1978
Crime Reporter #1 (one shot) - Streamline - 1954
Silver Kid Western - #1 or #2 - Streamline - 1955 - Conflicting views online as to which was #1 and which #2. I now have both so I'll try and work it out for myself. They are so different that I even think they are not in the same series!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hoot Gibson #1 by Streamline in 1950 but MUCH more importantly and from the same year, Eagle #1 from Hulton Press!

I targeted myself to try and pick up at least 2 of the 7 British #1s that I really wanted for my collection in 2019 and I managed to get one of them early! Believe it or not, I've never owned or even read a copy of the original Eagle.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

A few deliveries yesterday meant that one 30 year search was over when I had Batman: The Killing Joke arrive. Even better is that is a first publication by Titan Press.

I also had:

7 Air Ace
1 Thriller Picture Library
6 Micron Combat Picture Library
2 Walt Disney movie classics
1 Charlton Love Diary
1 Charlton Just Married
1 Charlton Ghost Manor
3 issues of Bunty from 1974
2 Donald and Mickey

and a few others from Marvel and DC ranging from the 1970s to the 1990s. A real smorgasbord of a lot!

I also ask that 51 Wizards from 1971 and 1972 be taken into consideration...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

https://www.comics.org/issue/1048883/cover/4/

Grand Comics Database has this as number 1 and it's also the cover of the American first issue.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:https://www.comics.org/issue/1048883/cover/4/

Grand Comics Database has this as number 1 and it's also the cover of the American first issue.
That's the one I picked up a couple of weeks ago which I have always thought of as #1 and then I found this new one. Both are on the Comicpriceguide but Duncan says that the other is #1 now

https://www.comicpriceguide.co.uk/uk_co ... tc=silverk

If you look at the two styles, you'll hopefully see what I mean about looking as if they are completely different series.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Does having 14.5 kg of comics delivered count as buying them?

Because if that's the case, then that's me that is.

I am swapping out 11 issues of Wizard to Joan Boix who is sending me a page of his original Phantom art in exchange for him getting his first work published in the UK back in 1972. I am also getting a little something from him for Valeera as she is a fan of a certain female vampire.

I have literally just finished putting the Hornets and Wizards in order. There were that many!

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:
Thank you, Adam, for the clarification. I'm considering buying a more comprehensive dictionary the next time I go to Truro. I can't remember the last time I went there. I've been living down here in Hayle for five months, and the longest distance I've travelled in that time is to Camborne, with my ex-wife on the bus. There is a W.H. Smiths in Penzance, and a small bookshop in Fore Street in St Ives, both of which I have visited recently, but I suspect I might need to place an order for a decent dictionary from those shops. I certainly wouldn't choose to go today though as there is a gale raging. Next door's TV aerial is wandering from side to side, threatening to detach itself from his roof.
Just to say that the New ODE is different from the main, big Oxford English Dictionary. The latter is a dictionary on historical principles and includes all sorts of old words (and indeed slubberdegullion is listed there as having an entry which was first written in 1912 and which has not since been updated). The first quotation listed in that entry is from 1612 by the way, so it has a long and (ig)noble history.

However the New Oxford Dictionary of English focuses on current language and practical usage, rather than showing how words and meanings have changed over time. Presumably slubberdegullion is not reckoned to be in wide enough usage to warrant an entry in that dictionary of current language and usage.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Creepy creations graphic novel ,it was a less than 5 min read so doubt i will buy world wide weirdies unless its at a decent price for basically a poster book
One eyed Jack does anyone know if that was the whole run of stories from Valiant as i only knew of the reprints in Eagle.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Goodness me! Doesn't time fly? If we judge by the date, on Thursday December 20th I will have been living down here in Cornwall for precisely six months. I can also confirm that no slubberdegullions have managed to gain entry to my house, although I can't be sure for obvious reasons that there aren't any colonies of the little pests making whoopee in amongst the foundations. Just in case they do, I have a selection of weapons within easy reach, not to mention a range of jars of jam and honey which, when smeared upon them, will slow down their movement just long enough for me to clobber them with a spatula. Finally, may I wish all members of comicsUK a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year. That includes Al and Andy Boal as well of course!! I am spending Christmas Day with Russ, Rach, Lois and Alex, who live less than five minutes away. R&R are due back from Bristol sometime today so my school run stint finishes this afternoon. I pick Alex up from St. Erth Primary School at 3.15, at which point we head for Tesco's, which is roughly on the Carbis Bay/St. Ives border, to collect Lois, who walks up there from St. Ives Secondary School, and waits inside the store to keep warm. More updates after Christmas if there are any worth sharing. After all, being honest, you feel like an extension to my family anyway.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

have a happy Christmas and happy new year to you and the family too Derek

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:have a happy Christmas and happy new year to you and the family too Derek
Thanks, Bri, and of course the same to you. :)

blaing

Post by blaing »

Final comic purchase this year (as far as non eBay purchases are concerned ), this week's Minnie the Minx edition of the Beano)

The Beano Wiki incorrectly stated the next issue was going on sale on 2/1/19 but an hour or so ago, I got a confirmation eMail from NewsStand saying that this particular issue was being shipped out to me. (I was the one who made that edit)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It's been a Summer Special week as I received a Victor Summer Special 1973, Tornado 1979 and Battle Action Force 1986

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

First Black Bob annual in very nice condition.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

As the Christmas shopping is all done and wrapped, I had a last minute splurge on some great comics on Ebay from 5 different decades:

True Police #1 and only - Cartoon Art/Streamline - 1950 (?)
Load Runner #1 - ECC - 1983
Mary Marvel #11 (1st and only issue) - L Miller - 1947
Adventures into the Unknown #1 - Arnold - 1950(?)
Wanted Comics - nn but I think it's the 1st issue - Arnold - 1949
Albion - #1-6 - Wildstorm - 2005 - For less than £1 each inc postage, I couldn't resist them!
Zip Comics #1 - Cozmic - 1973, Ogoth and Ugly Boot #1 - Cozmic - 1973, Dope Fiend Funnies #1 - Cozmic - 1974 - Three of the 14 titles Cozmic brought out in the early 70s that I've never read so I thought I'd try a few out.
Combat War at Sea #1 - L Miller - 1958
Ken Maynard Western #1 - L Miller - 1959