What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

jim244

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by jim244 »

Into The Abyss wrote:
30 Mar 2024, 13:35
jim244 wrote:
30 Mar 2024, 00:30
Into The Abyss wrote:
27 Mar 2024, 21:23
Bought a cool Buster & Jackpot comic from the 25th December 1982 in FN. Pic to follow asap.

Also, not connected with comics although from a comic. Just obtained an original John Sullivan, BBC camera script, from the classic comedy 70s/80s tv series Citizen Smith starting Robert Lindsay. It came from the archive of actor and warmup comic Felix Bowness of Hi-De-Hi fame. 🙂
What a great TV show that was,Power to the People !!!
Yeah, I agree jim244 lol. Robert Lindsay was hilarious. He was also great in the classic comedy series Get's Some In. John Sullivan was a comedy genius. Favourite Citizen Smith episode, and there were many, was the one where Wolfe, Ken & Tucker broke into the pub to steal their bar tab from the safe, decided to use dynamite, put too much explosives in the safe, and that classic scene where pub landlord Harry Fenning and heavies were visiting Shirley's father & mother Charlie and Florence looking for Wolfie when after pleasantries, tea & cake, all looked out of the window to see a huge flash of light denoting a large explosion and that classic quote from Florence when she said, "Oh, that flash of light, didn't it look like a sunrise", lol. :lol:
Absolute genius !! :D

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Just sourced a Buster comic from the 18th July 1992 to partner a page of Lew Stringer "Tom Thug" comic art bought. Pic to follow asap. :)

Update: Here it is. My Buster comic bought to pair up with some cool Lew Stringer art I recently purchased. Do check out the link.

Tom Thug: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=8334

Well, hello there! :wave:

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I do like the cover of that Buster comic. An All-Colour Buster? In 1992? I didnt realise Buster went full colour before the Beano and Dandy did.

This was a couple weeks ago rather than today.
But I went to my first car boot sale of the season.
Surprisingly lacking in comics, I didnt see any at all until the last stall which had about 60, 1980s Beezers.
Not my favourite era of that comic, but theres still good stuff in there with artwork from Bill Holroyd, John Geering, Brian Walker and Robert Nixon.
I've still never got my hands on any Big size early beezers, but the early Beezer books which I do have are a delight.
The full colour artwork in them is really good.
Which brings me on to another thing I got at the boot sale, which wasnt a comic, a Ladybird book about space (that pre-dates the moon landing).
The full colour artwork in there reminds me of some of the "educational pages" in the early Beezer annuals.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Tin Can Tommy wrote:
06 Apr 2024, 07:18
I do like the cover of that Buster comic. An All-Colour Buster? In 1992? I didn't realise Buster went full colour before the Beano and Dandy did.

This was a couple weeks ago rather than today.
But I went to my first car boot sale of the season.
Surprisingly lacking in comics, I didn't see any at all until the last stall which had about 60, 1980s Beezers.
Not my favourite era of that comic, but theres still good stuff in there with artwork from Bill Holroyd, John Geering, Brian Walker and Robert Nixon.
I've still never got my hands on any Big size early beezers, but the early Beezer books which I do have are a delight.
The full colour artwork in them is really good.
Which brings me on to another thing I got at the boot sale, which wasn't a comic, a Ladybird book about space (that pre-dates the moon landing).
The full colour artwork in there reminds me of some of the "educational pages" in the early Beezer annuals.
Thanks TCT. Yeah, the comic's very bright. The colours stand out so much you need sunglasses lol. Obviously the issue isn't mint, a few nips here and there, but it was bought mainly for the Tom Thug page within, as said. Still gotta few pages in my collection that need their respective comics. Some are easy to locate, others a right pain in posterior. Always on the lookout though.

Personally, I haven't been to a boot sale quite a while sadly. It's my brother who frequents more that I do nowadays. Basically he's my eyes. And luckily has a smartphone so he can send me videos & images of potential comics and collectables of interest. But when I did attended noticed also a big decline in comic finds too. The usual suspects are to blame, ebay and other online auction houses etc. But I totally agree, there was a purple patch in the 70s, 80s & 90s where there was more opportunity , jumble sales , school summer fates , yellow free ads when you could find old comics, but now are getting more and more scarce.

Like you, I too mainly concentrate on early stuff, Dandy & Beano comics etc , never really been a reality fan of comics when they became effective glossy magazines. But I do like the Buster, Jackpot, Whizzer & Chips and other similar titles from the 70s/80s, even early 90s, especially if a Halloween or Christmas theme comic. The kid in me will always be drawn to those sort of issues. Some really funny covers & characters too.

And interesting you should mention that ladybird book on space. Somewhere in my wardrobe I put for safe keeping years ago was a junior book of space. Think is was from the early1950s, so obviously before Russia Sputnik the American moon landing. That too was educational, but the art also reminded me of the Dare/Eagle strips. Wonder if Frank Hampton or his any of his associates had any input? One day will have a rummage around to find it. The cover art reminded me of that kid from Invaders from Mars. 🙂

abacus

Post by abacus »

Picked up this 1961 Beezer annual from a charity shop for £2 this morning.apart from some spinal wear it's in good condition.

Two other annuals they had of interest were Planet of the Apes annual which I didn't buy because one of the pages had a piece cut out and The Sweeney annual I didn't buy because I rarely watched the TV series, both were priced at £2

jim244

Post by jim244 »

abacus wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 15:03
Picked up this 1961 Beezer annual from a charity shop for £2 this morning.apart from some spinal wear it's in good condition.

Two other annuals they had of interest were Planet of the Apes annual which I didn't buy because one of the pages had a piece cut out and The Sweeney annual I didn't buy because I rarely watched the TV series, both were priced at £2
Excellent purchase Abacus !
As for Planet of the Apes,I totally agree as with a cut out it shouldn't really be sold (although I understand it when is pre 60s).
I believe there were 4 POA annuals,3 from 1976-1979 (I have the first 2) mainly based on the television programme and 1 from 2001 based on the Tim Burton movie.
Personally I love The Sweeney and I think there are 3 annuals from 77-79,of which I have the first one only.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

Sorry,meant to say you might wish to purchase The Sweeney annual if in reasonable condition,as they tend to go for between a tenner and 30 notes on ebay,so is a bargain at £2 and an easy re-sell if you have no interest in it yourself.

abacus

Post by abacus »

jim244 wrote:
11 Apr 2024, 04:09
Sorry,meant to say you might wish to purchase The Sweeney annual if in reasonable condition,as they tend to go for between a tenner and 30 notes on ebay,so is a bargain at £2 and an easy re-sell if you have no interest in it yourself.
Thanks for the info.
This particular well known charity shop doesn't seem to check the condition of the books as I have noticed books before with missing or coloured in pages.
At another charity shop I visited a few days ago I would have bought a seventies Bugs Bunny annual but I thought the £7 price was a bit steep ,then again I suppose they have to make money ,my estimate would be £3 tops.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

abacus wrote:
10 Apr 2024, 15:03

Nice find there Abacus. Love the cover. 8)

abacus

Post by abacus »

[quote="Into The Abyss" post_id=111566 time=1712834352 user_id=7689
Nice find there Abacus. Love the cover. 8)
[/quote]

Yes I like the cover better than the contents I prefer the contents of Topper a similar comic that came out about the same time.,
The cover has a retro look which on first seeing it made me think it was older than 1961,

abacus

Post by abacus »

Picked up this 1961 book for 50p from a charity shop a couple of days ago on holiday ,it's nothing special but the front cover mentions that it was a BBC TV series.
I might have seen the odd episode in the past but it couldn't have left much of an impression because I can't recall it.

jim244

Post by jim244 »

abacus wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 08:41
Picked up this 1961 book for 50p from a charity shop a couple of days ago on holiday ,it's nothing special but the front cover mentions that it was a BBC TV series.
I might have seen the odd episode in the past but it couldn't have left much of an impression because I can't recall it.

A great find !! The TV series was a Canadian/Australian and BBC produced show.
It aired in the UK in 1960,one series only.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have a copy. Bought it for the Ron Embleton cover.

Into The Abyss

Post by Into The Abyss »

Just had delivery of three nice Dandy comics No 390, 405 & 406 from 1949 in fine - condition. :)

Image Image

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

in lovely condition as always
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/