What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Phoenix »

dandy mad wrote:as for you being offensive maybe behind a keyboard like most keyboard warriors but toe to toe nah don't think so...
I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell dandy mad that it is one thing to try to browbeat counter staff in W. H. Smiths and Waterstones, who have to grin and bear it, and quite another to try the same tactic on me and people like me, because we can answer back.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

Phoenix wrote:
dandy mad wrote:as for you being offensive maybe behind a keyboard like most keyboard warriors but toe to toe nah don't think so...
I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell dandy mad that it is one thing to try to browbeat counter staff in W. H. Smiths and Waterstones, who have to grin and bear it, and quite another to try the same tactic on me and people like me, because we can answer back.
Need somebody to back you up oh dear oh dear :lol:

starscape

Post by starscape »

Is this sort of trolling acceptable then mods?

All I get is:
This post was made by Phoenix who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
This post was made by dandy mad who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

but I wouldn't go into a pub where this :censored: is tolerated, therefore, I won't be hanging around here either if this is what goes.

It's either people talking about their comic enthusiasm or trolls talking about any old crap noone else cares about.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

Now back to important items I got a couple of nice WDL Roy Rogers comics and 6 commandos

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

2 things - what starscape said. That is a thumbs up.
More importantly, I also really enjoy the WDL reprints and some of the Roy Rogers issues are nice comics and a good read. Even more than the western WDL comics, I thoroughly enjoy the movie and tv classic reprints. In some ways more than the originals and I think it has something to do with the paper stock.

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:Just bought the 2000AD Winter Special from my corner shop. 52 pages of all new thrills for only £3.50.
That's great news! Am going to keep an eye out for it. :)
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

abacus

Post by abacus »

With Christmas approaching and having joined this "Comics Anonymous" forum earlier this year I have to confess l have still not lost the desire to buy comics.Today I treated myself to another comicbook.

THE BIG VIZ BOOK OF ADVENTURE from WHSmith at £10.99p

This is good value with 224 pages with such stories as---------

Ted Rogers in the 25th century
The bravest pony of them all
The Iron Queen Mum
Dan Dare a two page skit
The Pirates of Plymouth Argyle

And many many more.

This is a slight departure from the normal Viz annual and I was going wait to see if I could get it somewhere else at a cheaper price but then to be certain I got a copy ,bought it today.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Sounds good, like a "sequel" to the Bumper Book Of Shite? Or is it all reprints?

Either way, it's another one for Santa's list.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

abacus

Post by abacus »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Sounds good, like a "sequel" to the Bumper Book Of Shite? Or is it all reprints?

As the title of the book suggests it contains all funny adventure stories I'm not sure the bumper book of shite did that and nowhere does it mention anything about reprints although with the size of the book I should imagine reprints were used, probably some VIZ fans can enlighten you on that if that is of any help.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Sounds good, like a "sequel" to the Bumper Book Of Shite? Or is it all reprints?

I understand it's all reprints of those brilliant adventure comic spoofs from Viz. Jack Black, and stuff like that.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

This months issue of Best of British has a number of comic related items, Garth, comic sporting Heros and a couple of pages on the classic tv show Supercar plus a couple of pages on Paul temple

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Lew, Viz is of course very much adult material however do you think that the Vis book of adventure would be less vulgar as it a spoof of the traditional comics.
I'm not into crude stuff but Vis have done other strips in the past like Billy the Fish a play on the traditional football comic strips which was not littered with bad words and which I found very funny.
Maybe I'm hoping that another Oink will come along what a great comic

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

wilsia wrote:Lew, Viz is of course very much adult material however do you think that the Vis book of adventure would be less vulgar as it a spoof of the traditional comics.
I'm not into crude stuff but Vis have done other strips in the past like Billy the Fish a play on the traditional football comic strips which was not littered with bad words and which I found very funny.
Some of the strips in the Adventure book will feature bad language and sexual references Wilsia, as they're reprints from the regular comic. But Viz isn't just about that of course.

Oink was aimed a kids, so a totally different audience really. Yeah, it'd be good to see something like that again though! The closest we've had in recent years was the revamped Dandy in 2010 to 2012.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

abacus

Post by abacus »

Lew Stringer wrote:
wilsia wrote:Lew, Viz is of course very much adult material however do you think that the Vis book of adventure would be less vulgar as it a spoof of the traditional comics.
Some of the strips in the Adventure book will feature bad language and sexual references Wilsia, as they're reprints from the regular comic. But Viz isn't just about that of course.

Oink was aimed a kids, so a totally different audience really. Yeah, it'd be good to see something like that again though! The closest we've had in recent years was the revamped Dandy in 2010 to 2012.
The VIZ Adventure book is less crude and vulgar than much of the normal VIZ content and there seems to be very little to offend it contains mainly just funny stories however as it says on the back not for sale to children.
Last edited by abacus on 02 Nov 2014, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Thanks Lew for taking the time to respond. Whatever the contents it has s cracking cover.
Yes I miss the Dandy in its last comic years it was very satirical.