NEW UK COMICS SURVEY

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

NEW UK COMICS SURVEY

Post by Old Forum Fella »

You'll probably get bored of me going on about it as its a real bug bear of mine but theres a big age jump between the beano and 2000ad and I was wondering if you guys think that a new weekly comic for boys somewhere between these two would succeed? What should the contents be ? (sport, adventure, sci-fi, just football?) Do you think theres room on the market for a rival to Beano and Dandy from another publisher ? With the 'nursery' comics selling so well is there room for one that has more actual stories in (I buy Toybox and Disney & Me for my 3.5 year old son for bedtime reading but they tend to have 3 stories in each at the most, whereas I remember the likes of Playhour, Pippin etc had about 7 or 8) What do you guys think ... post a reply if you got any view either way Spence

Originally posted by Spence on the old forum on 2/11/2001

Old Forum Fella

NEW UK COMICS SURVEY

I'd like to think there is still a market for a new comic, but i think that I.P.C's departure from the comic market (certainly in the style of Buster, Whizzer and Chips etc) shows that the youth of today are too busy playing Mario 64 to waste time reading comics. They don't know what the're missing! I'd buy the comic though, but then i am 32..... Dogfart.

Originally posted by Dogfart on the old forum on 16/11/2001

Old Forum Fella

NEW UK COMICS SURVEY

I think there is a yawning chasm just screaming to be filled here and I agree with you 99.9 recurring per cent. Why limit a comic's appeal to boys? I think a successful funnies/adventure comic could be targeted for both boys and girls. Why do publishers appear to be blind to what could be a very lucrative publication? It just so happens that this has been a particular bug-bear of my own for many years standing.

Originally posted by Brendini on the old forum on 13/1/2002

Old Forum Fella

NEW UK COMICS SURVEY

further to my recent posting, i wonder how much it would cost to set up a national weekly comic? My guess is that it would take a company as large as i.p.c/fleetway to make any kind of impact on the mainstream buying public. the internet however is an ideal place to advertise a project such as this, look at the comics u.k. links page and you'll see that there are loads of sites out there that would be willing to promote this kind of venture. the biggest problem i can forsee is what to call a new comic!!!!

Originally posted by Dogfart on the old forum on 24/1/2002

Old Forum Fella

NEW UK COMICS SURVEY

The main problem is advertising - that is, getting advertisers to buy space in it. Setting up a new (girls) comic has been my dream for many years, and I've even got as far as meetings with publishers, but although the editorial response has always been very favourable, marketing's has not been.

Originally posted by Harriet on the old forum on 25/1/2002