'Celebrity Comics': Count Duckula

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Shaqui

'Celebrity Comics': Count Duckula

Post by Shaqui »

Does anyone have any info on publishers 'Celebrity Comics' who did the 'Count Duckula' comic in 1989? Also, anyone know how many issues 'Count Duckula' ran for? I have the first nine issues...

:)

NP

Re: 'Celebrity Comics': Count Duckula

Post by NP »

I was part of a very small team who had a seven-issue run of our own comic, 1989/90 with Celebrity Group. The editor was ex-Marvel Etta Saunders and it was run out of a farmhouse in, I think, Kent. The only other thing I remember about them was their chairman had a Bentley. I think they lasted about 10 months so your Count Duckula collection is most likely complete.

NP

Post by NP »

??

babington

Post by babington »

Does anyone happen to know what type of chewy bar was free with the first issue of Count Duckula in 1989?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Shaqui's collection isn't complete. Tried looking up the chew bar and found issue 14. The only issue 1 I found was a Marvel comic from the US.

babington

Post by babington »

Here is a link to an ebay listing for the first UK issue - you can see by the text that a 'chew' was attached to the front cover. But what kind?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/First-Issue-N ... SwnH1WZUGx

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That link answers your question, for there's something called Duckula Suckula advertised inside.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:That link answers your question, for there's something called Duckula Suckula advertised inside.
I can't imagine that babington hadn't spotted that, Digi. I think the problem is that the term Duckula Suckula doesn't give any information about its flavour.

babington

Post by babington »

yes, I saw that, but I saw a copy of this comic with pineapple 'chewits' attached to the cover - yet it looked like someone had just stuck a pack of chews on the cover and it wasn't the original gift - hence my question :-)