DC THOMSON COMICS STILL GOING STRONG!

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

I just wondered if people are still aware DC Thomson still publish comics. Namely
Beano & Dandy + their fun-sized editions
Commando Pocket Book - 4 a month
Football Pocket Book - 1 a month
Classics From the Comics - 1 a month (reprints classic Dandy/ Beezer/ Topper/ Nutty/ Beano etc)

What would be even better would be a comic or pocket book full of Victor/ Starblazer/ Hornet/ Warlord/ The Crunch/ Hotspur/ Rover etc, etc adventure stories. Maybe we should start a petition? Chris http://www.superherostore.co.uk

Originally posted by Superherostore.co.uk on the old forum on 23/01/2003

Old Forum Fella

Chris, I am well aware of this and I do my best to purchase as many of these as I can. My main gripe with the Commando, Football and Fun-size libraries is that not one newsagent (and believe me I've checked) in my area (Chelmsford, Basildon, Wickford, Maldon, Woodham) or near where I work (London) stocks any of these titles! I know that I could order the titles in or subscribe (I actually do order in the Commando titles!) but my point is that no kids are going to get the chance to pick them up on a one-off basis. Also mums and dads won't be picking them up for their kids to read when they go shopping. If UK comics are ever going to recapture some of this market then surely these should be 'pushed' more by DC Thomson? I can't see how at least the Football title wouldn't sell more copies if it was available on the newsagent/supermarket shelves What does anyone else think ? Spence

Originally posted by Spenny on the old forum on 24/01/2003

Old Forum Fella

Any title has to be available regularly for it to pick up a following. I certainly think there is a huge untapped market for a collection of footie strips for kids ( as opposed to the "adult" ones in several newspapers ).
I know I would be a Customer for any Valiant/ Victor reprints.

Originally posted by Phil S on the old forum on 24/01/2003

Old Forum Fella

I totally agree as there needs to be a comic that reprnts all there stories from the 30's to 90's to give the younger generation a taste of what was around

Originally posted by TONY TUBBS on the old forum on 29/01/2003