LONGEST RUNNING COMIC (NOT DC THOMSON)

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella »

I'm trying to find out of the comics printed by Amalgamated, Fleetway etc which has the distinction of having the longest continuous run. I've dismissed Eagle as the contender as it had 2 seperate runs and I've so far put 2000AD as the contender but I may be wrong. I look forward to help.

Originally posted by TONY TUBBS on the old forum on 13/02/2003

Old Forum Fella

2000AD will probably become the longest running Fleetway (although of course no longer published by them) comic but at the moment Tiger has the longest run, 1954-85. Buster has the distinction of being the longest running humour comic.

Chris
http://www.superherostore.co.uk

Originally posted by Superherostore.co.uk on the old forum on 13/02/2003

Old Forum Fella

Jeez, 2000AD running for 26 years! I remember buying the first issues like they were yesterday... Gawd, I must be getting old! Luckily I wasn't about for the start of Buster's run, which was a glorious 40 years!!

Originally posted by Andy J on the old forum on 14/02/2003

Old Forum Fella

A few points here. Firstly,Fleetway no longer exists and the name was dropped a couple years back to Egmont Magazines who,incidentally,have no interest in new comics despite the fact that they publish in over 25 countries which would make them HUGE if they had the guts. 2000 AD cannot be considered Fleetways longest running comic as it was sold years ago to REBELLION -just as they sold off DAN DARE and EAGLE - headless chickens are in charge! Amalgamated Press,purchsed by Fleetway has the record for the longest running comics titles. COMIC CUTS 17th May,1890 - 12th September,1953 ILLUSTRATED CHIPS 26th July,1890 -12/9/53 Thats more than 60 years or about 3120 issues apiece. Not bad,heh?

Originally posted by Terry Hooper on the old forum on 23/02/2003