What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

koollectablz

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by koollectablz »

Adam Eterno wrote: Koollectablz started a thread entitled "Good Titles to Bind" or something very similar. He recommended http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/comic-binding.html and although I haven't sent anything to them yet, I will do soon. You're probably talking £35-£40 as an estimate.
I’m sending my set of 1923 Rocket in this week to be rebound, the boards as are are very mildewy (luckily the comics themselves completely unaffected) - i’ll make sure and take some before and after pics this time. The only thing that’s giving me pause is the best way to include the set of free gift cards with them, I was thinking of making a bespoke page that would go in the front that they would slot into, or having a section they fit into in the inside front cover.... hmmmm decisions decisions...

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote: Koollectablz started a thread entitled "Good Titles to Bind" or something very similar. He recommended http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/comic-binding.html and although I haven't sent anything to them yet, I will do soon. You're probably talking £35-£40 as an estimate.
I’m sending my set of 1923 Rocket in this week to be rebound, the boards as are are very mildewy (luckily the comics themselves completely unaffected) - i’ll make sure and take some before and after pics this time. The only thing that’s giving me pause is the best way to include the set of free gift cards with them, I was thinking of making a bespoke page that would go in the front that they would slot into, or having a section they fit into in the inside front cover.... hmmmm decisions decisions...
I'd go inside front cover personally. See through pockets of some form would look good.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

I thought see through pockets at first, but then I thought to maybe just use paper with appropriate slits cut into them, like someone had done it in the past. So it fits in with the age of it and all.

I’ll mock something up.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Tom and Jerry Weekly #1, 2 & 3 from 1973. Spotlight Publications. I've never come across one of these before. Love the cartoon though!

blaing

Post by blaing »

Last night, I bought the Oor Wullie 1990 book, and the 1983 Broons book.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Charley's War Vol. 1: Boy Soldier: The Definitive Collection delivered this morning via Amazon. That's my reading sorted out for today!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I've had the #1 issue of Boys Cinema from 1919 with its free gift art plate of Tom Mix for some time, but I've managed to get the art plates from #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8 and #9. Missing Douglas Fairbanks from #2 20/12/1919.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up sparky #500 as I have the gift.

Quite a cool issue as its a free gift issue, a #500, and its the first with the new logo.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I received some 1950s Titbits magazines on Saturday and they all had comic strips. I think Peter Meritson is the artist here but I don't know if he worked in comics

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Steve, that's by David Wright, I think, who was better known for the newspaper strip, Carol Day, which appeared in the Daily Mail. Wright is one of those nowadays less well known artists, which is a great shame. The strips ran for years and is a really good read.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I saw Peter's name appended to a later strip but perhaps he was the writer. I seem to remember asking about that strip many years ago and someone here gave Wright's name. Meanwhile here is a nice double page spread from a 1953 Titbits.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Red Dagger #16 - Tiger McTaggart - Only 3 more to go for the set!
Warlord Summer Specials 1975, 76, 77 & 79 along with the Peter Flint Special from 1976.
All Action Monthly #1 - IPC - 1987

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Still waiting for my comics to arrive. The tracker system says two delivery attempts were made yesterday but I have been stuck indoors for four days and nobody has knocked. I will never buy another item if it is being sent via Hermes as its too nerve wracking. The problem is my door number is 20 and new flats have been built in my street also with no. 20 and I sometimes get their mail. I wondering if some nearby yuppie is chortling over a pile of Whizzer and Chips. You can't beat Royal Mail. My Whoopees are still in Maidstone apparently.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Still waiting for my comics to arrive. The tracker system says two delivery attempts were made yesterday but I have been stuck indoors for four days and nobody has knocked. I will never buy another item if it is being sent via Hermes as its too nerve wracking. The problem is my door number is 20 and new flats have been built in my street also with no. 20 and I sometimes get their mail. I wondering if some nearby yuppie is chortling over a pile of Whizzer and Chips. You can't beat Royal Mail. My Whoopees are still in Maidstone apparently.
Once your local MyHermes delivery person has found you. you'll be OK for all future deliveries. They say that they made two attempts but that doesn't mean they found you. You need to contact MyHermes and tell them to give the driver your number so when they're in the area, they can call you to find out exactly where you are. I've had similar problems on pick-ups and deliveriess with MyHermes, every time a new delivery person takes over. I don't send anything via them anymore as they let me down once too often.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

stevezodiac wrote:Still waiting for my comics to arrive. The tracker system says two delivery attempts were made yesterday but I have been stuck indoors for four days and nobody has knocked. I will never buy another item if it is being sent via Hermes as its too nerve wracking. The problem is my door number is 20 and new flats have been built in my street also with no. 20 and I sometimes get their mail. I wondering if some nearby yuppie is chortling over a pile of Whizzer and Chips. You can't beat Royal Mail. My Whoopees are still in Maidstone apparently.
hermes are the biggest lying c**ts ive ever dealt with and say they delivered and dont turn up until a day or 2 later if at all.i i told phil comics etc to stop using them for me