What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

blaing

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by blaing »

Latest purchase:

The Wizzo, No. 3

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Cutty Sark station on the Docklands Light Railway is nearest. A 199 bus stops right outside the clock tower market (opposite the post office). The covered market is right at the end of Creek Road and is surrounded by buildings so not easy to spot but there are little alleyways leading into it. If you carry on walking past the clock tower market you'll come across the Junk Shop which should still have some Hotspurs, Wizards, Rovers etc. Google Street View could help. Off to the comic fair in a minute. Nasty weather though. Where's my Sou'wester?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

thanks for the info steve even though rover ,wizard aint my cup of tea i will pop down there one day this week & have a look. :cheers:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Downstairs in the Junk Shop there were some Film Fun annuals a couple of weeks ago. The Junk Shop is like Steptoe's front room with things everywhere. Tons of books including the Magnet collections volumes thingies...Also some bowls of pre decimal coins.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

That reminds me i still have to watch my steptoe & son complete box set :lol:
Today i got the latest Viz 213 & the phoenix issues 5-9.Gosh only had iss 8 & 9 on the shelf as they told me it is selling well for them & have had to restock a few times.

Raven

Post by Raven »

An April 1978 Whoopee!

A nice period for the comic, this, with Mike Lacey double-pagers Kids' Court, Bumpkin Billionaires and Scared-Stiff Sam (busy chap, Mike Lacey was), plus further double-pagers The Spooktacular 7 from Brian Walker, Lolly Pop from Sid Burgon, and Frankie Stein from Robert Nixon. Also, a single page blue-hued Evil Eye from Reg Parlett, and a full colour World-Wide Weirdies from Ken Reid. Most of the IPC crew at something of a peak, and all for 8p, back then.

Reprints are from early Whizzer and Chips: The Spectacular Adventures of Willie Bunk, looking dated and out of place, and Me and My Shadow, which still looks fab.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The Tides of Time, a reprint book of strips from Doctor Who Monthly (as it was called at the time) featuring the fifth Doctor. I've got more on the way from Amazon too. I only got into Doctor Who through the 2005 TV revival, it's astonishing to think that even all of the TV show is really only a third of the story!

I also dreamed about going into the long-defunct post office in my village, and finding another 'passage' that was 'round the corner' from the shop I knew, containing (up on a very high shelf) some Graffix books that I'd previously never heard of. One was a fantasy story with painted colour artwork and another was a messily-drawn story set in a domed colony on another planet. They were silly-expensive though, so I had to leave them XD

Raven

Post by Raven »

There were quite a few things that some Comics UK forumeers might have liked at Manchester's comic mart today: lots of '70s Beanos, Dandys, Hotspurs and Wizards at 50p each, near mint-looking Dandys from - I think - circa 1960 at £3 each, quite a few of the early only-for-sale-in-Scotland run of Vulcan at £3 each (though these were a bit too tatty for me), and plenty of annuals and old pocket libraries (western, war, girls', etc.).

The British items I bought, for a mere 50p each, were: two 1973 TV Comics, issue 4 of Shiver and Shake, and two 1976 Hotspurs (because I liked the artwork on seafaring strip Cameron RN).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I received this ebay win in the post yesterday. very first issue of Wit dated 25/12/1875.

Last edited by stevezodiac on 12 Mar 2012, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Raven wrote:There were quite a few things that some Comics UK forumeers might have liked at Manchester's comic mart today: lots of '70s Beanos, Dandys, Hotspurs and Wizards at 50p each, near mint-looking Dandys from - I think - circa 1960 at £3 each, quite a few of the early only-for-sale-in-Scotland run of Vulcan at £3 each (though these were a bit too tatty for me), and plenty of annuals and old pocket libraries (western, war, girls', etc.).

The British items I bought, for a mere 50p each, were: two 1973 TV Comics, issue 4 of Shiver and Shake, and two 1976 Hotspurs (because I liked the artwork on seafaring strip Cameron RN).
Ooh, I went to that as well - got the Wham! Annual 1969 :D
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Asger

Post by Asger »

Yesterday I went to a large indoor flea-marked in Copenhagen Bella Center (where the European foreign ministers met too, incidentally), and apart from a dozen or so color-albums of French-Belgian comics and some scores of ordinary Danish comicbooks I also bought a handful of real gold: A 1944 book of (Rob the Rover) Willy på eventyr and a 1942 book of Price Valiant, not too good condition but dirt cheap. I got some other vintage Danish comics too and a copy of 'Barakdjævelen' (The Barracs Devil): cartoons made by inmates in a German prison-camp in Denmark during WWII.
"Don't take life seriously. It ain't nohow permanent."
Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Went to a boot sale in a neighbouring village this morning and got the Knockout Annuals for 1973 and 1975, Shiver & Shake Annuals 1976 and 1983 and Monster Fun Annual 1977, as well as the 1983 2000AD Sci-Fi Special.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I met some friends and we went to the comic mart in the Panopticon in Glasgow. I thought this old music hall was supposed to have been renovated but it's still a mess. There isn't a lot of floor space so dealers tables were limited but I bought 6 Charlton westerns which feature art by Severin, Boyette and Warren Sattler. Lovely condition. But my best purchse of the day was from a friend - The Pilot #17, Jan. 1936 with an episode of the Black Monk. I don't see many examples of The Pilot and it was a pleasure to add this to my collection.

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

Argghhh I've missed yet another Glasgow comic mart (where are these advertised Paw) - I thought the Panopticon (the Britannia Music Hall) had actually burned down, good to see the UKs oldest music hall is still in one piece (although last time I saw it it was a ral mess) - Im on an old 60s/70s Charlton colletcion run myself those Severin comics sound good.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Bah, I was in Manchester on Saturday and didn't visit the comic mart! Though to be fair it was one of the rare instances when my fiancee joined me on my excursion into town and I don't think she would've appreciated it somehow... Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man were quite enough for her.