What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Clint Walker died last week aged 90.
The Guardian this morning contains an obituary for tennis great Maria Bueno, who died last Friday aged 78. She won 19 Grand Slams, three of which were at Wimbledon.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Hawkeye wrote:I've still got my Cheyanne 6 shooter from the 60s
Was there some copyright reason why they changed the spelling?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Clint Walker died last week aged 90. I used to watch him in Cheyenne in the sixties.
I noticed that too. I’ve had a search loaded for the comic for well over a year, maybe that’s why one was finally up for sale?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Went to Covent Garden antique fair today and picked up the following:

GI COMBAT 175 dated Feb. 1975, 176 dated April 1975
OUR ARMY AT WAR 278 dated March 1975.
STAR SPANGLED WAR STORIES 193 dated Nov. 1975.
OUR ARMY AT WAR 275 dated Dec. 1974 (100 pages)
OUR FIGHTING FORCES FEATURING THE LOSERS 152 and 154 Jan. 1975 and April 1975 both by Jack Kirby.
THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER no. 1 dated Winter 1988
GHOSTLY HAUNTS 41 dated Nov. 1974 Charlton.

£5 the lot.

TIGER 11/2/78, 18/2/78, 4/3/78, 11/3/78 and 1/4/78 50p each

CHARLES BUCHAN'S FOOTBALL MONTHLY SEPT. 1968 £1

And
PICTURE ALBUM OF FLAGS OF THE SEA,
PICTURE ALBUM OF WARRIORS AND THEIR WEAPONS
PICTURE ALBUM OF FAMOUS FEATS
PICTURE ALBUM OF SECRETS OF CRICKET £3 each.

These albums are all priced at one penny each so we're obviously not free gifts but they name the Thomson big five story papers on the front. I presume there were five albums, one for each comic? Also the cricket album is a different format and colour so is it from another series? They each have a few stickers inside which I presume were given away with the papers?

I had my usual Routemaster bus ride to Tower Hill afterward.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote: PICTURE ALBUM OF FLAGS OF THE SEA,
PICTURE ALBUM OF WARRIORS AND THEIR WEAPONS
PICTURE ALBUM OF FAMOUS FEATS
PICTURE ALBUM OF SECRETS OF CRICKET £3 each.

These albums are all priced at one penny each so we're obviously not free gifts but they name the Thomson big five story papers on the front. I presume there were five albums, one for each comic? Also the cricket album is a different format and colour so is it from another series? They each have a few stickers inside which I presume were given away with the papers?
Do the albums have their cards in? If not, they're usually available on Ebay such as these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Thompson- ... Sw-mda-9K8

The cards came free with the comics and the albums were to put your cards in. A bit before my time but it's the kind of thing I would have loved to have collected as a kid.

What days are the antique fair on in Covent Garden as I must pop in one day to have a look?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Each album has a few cards in. They are small postage stamp sized.

The antique fair is every Monday but only one stall sells magazines and comics but not many comics. Another stall had some fifties Beanos and Dandys but at £9.50 apiece too pricey. Sixties issues were a bit cheaper though. She had mostly old Newspapers some from 1700s.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The bus goes along Fleet Street so I took a snap of the DC Thomson building at 185 Fleet Street.

It was 46 years ago I met Ian? Chisholm inside that building.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Each album has a few cards in. They are small postage stamp sized.

The antique fair is every Monday but only one stall sells magazines and comics but not many comics. Another stall had some fifties Beanos and Dandys but at £9.50 apiece too pricey. Sixties issues were a bit cheaper though. She had mostly old Newspapers some from 1700s.
Cheers for that. I'm very rarely in London on a Monday so I'll have to remember if I ever am.

Camden Passage has an Antique Market on Wednesdays and Saturdays but it's been a few years since I've been. Have you been recently? I may be in London on a Wednesday soon and I have an office in Angel, so I'll try it. That's Camden Passage market in Angel, not Camden Market.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Camden is a bit too far up north for me but I'll look into it.

Had a look online and I did go there last year but it was a Sunday and mostly shut. Lots of china from memory.
Last edited by stevezodiac on 11 Jun 2018, 16:06, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Camden is a bit too far up north for me but I'll look into it.
43 bus from Tower Hill to Angel......

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I went on the oxo.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Phoenix wrote:
colcool007 wrote:I did pick up The Sloper Gradient on the recommendation of Calum Laird.
I've never heard of that item, Col. What is it exactly?
It's a potted history of the birth of Ally Sloper. If you seek out Alexi Conman and Terry Wiley, then they will relieve you of two of your finest pounds in exchange for their slender publication.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:Alexi Conman and Terry Wiley, then they will relieve you of two of your finest pounds
A wil(e)y person and a conman? I can't see them being satisfied with just the two pounds, can you, Col? :lol:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Camden is a bit too far up north for me but I'll look into it.

Had a look online and I did go there last year but it was a Sunday and mostly shut. Lots of china from memory.
Is that Camden Market in Camden or Camden Passage in Angel? If Angel, the best days are Weds and Sats

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Camden Passage. Is there printed collectables there?