What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Does your dictionary have the word Contrafibularities in it? If not you should burn it.
No, it doesn't. But Steve, have you ever tried to burn a dictionary?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

starscape wrote:Champions League is my Room 101. It's a mad world where great teams like Sporting Lisbon, Austria Vienna, Rosenberg, Standard Liege, Rangers/Celtic etc wouldn't stand a chance against also-rans like Southampton, just because of TV audience.
Also-rans!? You are off my Christmas list! Saints have never actually been in the Champions League sadly.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Derek, I was hoping you would get that Blackadder reference. I'm not even a fan.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: [places two manuscripts on the table, but picks up the top one] Here it is, sir. The very cornerstone of English scholarship. This book, sir, contains every word in our beloved language.

Blackadder: Every single one, sir?

Dr. Samuel Johnson: Every single word, sir!

Blackadder: Oh, well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: What?

Blackadder: "contrafibularities", sir? It is a common word down our way.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: Damn!

[writes in the book]

Blackadder: Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Derek, I was hoping you would get that Blackadder reference. I'm not even a fan.
Nor am I, Steve.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Adam Eterno wrote:
starscape wrote:Champions League is my Room 101. It's a mad world where great teams like Sporting Lisbon, Austria Vienna, Rosenberg, Standard Liege, Rangers/Celtic etc wouldn't stand a chance against also-rans like Southampton, just because of TV audience.
Also-rans!? You are off my Christmas list! Saints have never actually been in the Champions League sadly.
That was kind of my point. Because they are in a certain league, Southampton (or Bournemouth or Newcastle etc) that are nowhere near winning their league can outcompete champions of other leagues, meaning some great names are consigned to the dustbin due to money being given out not on the basis of achievement.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's the curio I picked up on Sunday. It has eight pages and is half the size of a normal US comic. It's an advertising comic issued by Metropolitan Life Insurance Company in April 1958. Cost me £2.00.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Derek, I was hoping you would get that Blackadder reference. I'm not even a fan.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: [places two manuscripts on the table, but picks up the top one] Here it is, sir. The very cornerstone of English scholarship. This book, sir, contains every word in our beloved language.

Blackadder: Every single one, sir?

Dr. Samuel Johnson: Every single word, sir!

Blackadder: Oh, well, in that case, sir, I hope you will not object if I also offer the Doctor my most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: What?

Blackadder: "contrafibularities", sir? It is a common word down our way.

Dr. Samuel Johnson: Damn!

[writes in the book]

Blackadder: Oh, I'm sorry, sir. I'm anaspeptic, phrasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation
I am! Robbie's brilliant as Dr Samuel Johnson. And it definitely cocks a snoot at Dr Johnson's infamous views about the Scots.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:And it definitely cocks a snoot at Dr Johnson's infamous views about the Scots.
Apparently other people's dictionaries are as bad as mine. The word 'snoot' above should be 'snook'.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I believe Snook is an earlier form of snout and "cocking a Snook" is to put your thumb on your nose and splay your fingers to resemble a cockerel's crown.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A quiet weekend with the purchase of the Victor Summer Special from 1989 and the delightful Sunny Stories #1 from 1958.

I also managed to finally get hold of the Fleetway Super Library Fantastic Series #1 - The Steel Claw. I've been after this for ages and had an offer of £25 rejected a few weeks ago so was very happy when an offer of £20 to a different seller was accepted and it comes with a copy of #2 thrown in! Patience has it's rewards...

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

My collection of Ranger edges ever closer to being complete as I have bought the free gifts from issues 2 &3.

I bought the Megazine tribute issue and I am still shying away from reading it.

My collection of Air Ace increased by another 10 issues and I have just done a deal for another 31 Picture Libraries.

blaing

Post by blaing »

This week's Beano, (with the 50/50 chance of me getting this in time for Christmas)

Purchased from NewsStand.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

A lovely pile of picture libraries ranging in age from Commando issue 94 (1962) to Commando 990 (1975). I also ask that six Ranger comics and a Norman Rockwell print be taken into consideration.

blaing

Post by blaing »

I ended this year's comic purchases with the 1984 Bananaman summer special from eBay.

I did have this previously, but sold it off, but I have regretted it since.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Just bought a 1973 Summer Special and 11 issues of Victor.