What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Adam Eterno wrote: *Flintlock #1 & #2 - Timebomb comics - I've been after these for a while since they were released on Kickstarter. Not sure why though as they're pretty average so far (I've read the first one)!
I've read them both now and won't be getting the next one!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote: *Flintlock #1 & #2 - Timebomb comics - I've been after these for a while since they were released on Kickstarter. Not sure why though as they're pretty average so far (I've read the first one)!
I've read them both now and won't be getting the next one!
I like Flintlock and The Clockwork Cavalier but there is something about the Shanti story that just doesn't work for me.

However, I did just get another 12 Commandos and my own copy of Illustrators Special No 2 delivered. And now I need to send Richard S his copy back!

And I have done a very nice deal for another 20 plus pre-decimal issues.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

Annuals in this case:

The Hotspur Book 1967,
The Hotspur Book 1968,
The Hotspur Book 1972,
The Hotspur Book 1974.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Two of my oldest comics. Dandy 70 and Beano 305. Both are intact but showing wear and tear from the years.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

A plethora of picture libraries arrived today. Ranging from Commando 160 to 5050 and 18 assorted Air Aces. I think I did fairly well out of it as there were 21 pre-decimal Commandos.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Detective Comics #1 - L Miller 1954
9 early Commandos replacing poor quality issues in my set
Captain Britain Annual 1978 - the final piece in my 70s Captain Britain collection

An amazing lot of 40 x #1s mainly from the early 90s. All bar 1 still have their free gifts if they were issued in the first place. They are all in Mint or NM condition and look as if they haven't been read:

"Zit" -Feb 1991, "Weekend Racing Insider" - 1990 , (I love to Read) Batman; Barbie; Batman & Superman; Big!; Biker Mice from Mars; Brum Magazine; Bucky O'Hare; Budgie; Chatterbox; Conan the Adventurer; Fourways Farm (Learn & Play); Gimme 5 magazine; Hurricanes (Colcool REALLY wants this!); (The) Incredible Crash Dummies; James Bond Jr; Joe 90; Merry go Round; (Jim Henson's) Muppet Babies; (Neil Gaiman's) Mr Hero; (Speedway) Now!;(The) Official Supermarionation Magazine; Pingu; (Mighty Morphin) Power Rangers; Power Rangers; Quiz Kids; Red Dwarf; The Ren and Stimpy Show; (The) Riddlers; Sesame Street (Learn and Play); Star Trek; Stingray; Streetwise; Thunderbirds (the comic); Top of the Pops; tots tv; Toxic!; Triffik!; What's on TV (first issue!); (It's) Wicked!; and Zoo

I don't collect 90s comics but this lot really show me where comics were going at the time. Notice how many are TV based?

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Plumped for a few new titles today, Inc the 80th Beano special bookazine thingy, the dandy summer special and the 2000ad summer special.

Liked the dandy SS a lot, the 2000ad was v poor art wise, but the worst was the Beano 80th special - who thought full page pics of the editors was a good idea, it felt extremely rushed and put together like a GCSE project. Really quite shocked how bad it is.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Startling Terror Tales #1 - Arnold - 1954
Barbariene #1 - Harrier - 1987
Lion and Thunder Holiday Special 1972

Best til last, 1 lot on Ebay BiN of the set of Tornado AND 1-300 of 2000AD (Eagle #1 [2nd series]with gift was thrown in as well). I had to pay a fair amount for them but the first 3 came with all the gifts and I sold the same last Christmas for twice what I paid for the whole lot this time so hopefully I'll be able to sell them for the same and keep the 4-300 which I was after!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

my ken Reid box set arrived today very happy apart from the fact tnt dented it in the corners after a failed delivery,but it looks worth it and hope its the 1st of many such projects.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

More picture libraries of various stripes including the inspiration for my next article.

I also won an Ebay auction for over 2 years worth of Hornet. Not a bad day indeed.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Chums vol1 no1 to vol1 no50. 1892/93. All bound into one volume and in wonderful condition.

I already have the 2 Wizard Holiday books, but I saw one on Abebooks for just £20 so I had to have it.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:Chums vol1 no1 to vol1 no50. 1892/93. All bound into one volume and in wonderful condition.
Compal are selling exactly the same in their current auction, bidding at £28 currently but will probably get alot higher so hopefully you've done a much better deal!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Chums vol1 no1 to vol1 no50. 1892/93. All bound into one volume and in wonderful condition.
Compal are selling exactly the same in their current auction, bidding at £28 currently but will probably get alot higher so hopefully you've done a much better deal!
I noticed that, I didn't pay much more than £28 anyway.

There's also a Wizard Holiday book on compal, I think that will probably sell for more than the £20 I've just paid for mine.

I'm also interested to see how much the #1 Comic Cuts goes for, I paid quite a bit for mine a while ago.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:I'm also interested to see how much the #1 Comic Cuts goes for, I paid quite a bit for mine a while ago.
I was looking at that as I don't have it but it's not in very good condition at all compared to ones I've seen sold on Compal in the past

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:I'm also interested to see how much the #1 Comic Cuts goes for, I paid quite a bit for mine a while ago.
I was looking at that as I don't have it but it's not in very good condition at all compared to ones I've seen sold on Compal in the past
I think its one of those cases where you've seen better ones, but if you don't get this one you probably won't get another chance for a few years. Depends how much you really want one for your collection.

I'd like the complete run of Scoops in lot 12.