What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

koollectablz wrote:This is going to be quite the situation when you have the last remaining one!

To have a full a set of Commando is actually quite an achievement tbh. If you have the money it’s easy to get sets of many titles - American comics for instance are always available.

But British comics are a completely different story.

As soon as you get the last one we need a whole collection pic! I’m actually quite excited for you... :P
Thanks for that. With over 5000 comics, I don’t know if a picture will be possible! They’re currently in a dozen 50L “Really Useful” boxes in 3 different rooms! I’m in the process of bagging and boarding the first 500.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Going back well over 100 years to the very beginnings of British comics..............I was very pleased to find and buy 80 copies of 'Scraps' comic from 1883/84, which includes nos 1 to 6. Haven't got them yet, but very excited to get my hands on them. :)
What a fantastic find! Please load pictures when they arrive
Agreed! love to see these!!

Awesome buy.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

koollectablz wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Going back well over 100 years to the very beginnings of British comics..............I was very pleased to find and buy 80 copies of 'Scraps' comic from 1883/84, which includes nos 1 to 6. Haven't got them yet, but very excited to get my hands on them. :)
What a fantastic find! Please load pictures when they arrive
Agreed! love to see these!!

Awesome buy.
I'll do my best. I've never really tried to add pictures before, might need to seek advice !!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Not a comic as such- but I got another `Sparky`free gift on E.Bay- a 1966 "Bizzy Buzzer" was £50 which I daresay is a lot to some- but a few years back; I was outbid on one by `Mon-El` on E.Bay and I had gone up to £225 then!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have some copies of Scraps. Very much like Funny Folks and Ally Sloper.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Really happy to do a deal for 25 DCT Red Daggers which although there are a few doubles, I now only need 4 for the set of 30.

Todays's purchases were Twisty, Tough of the Track, Morgyn the Mighty, Sniper, Midge, Cast Iron Bill. Killer Kane, Tasker, Terror in the Tower, Killer Kennedy, The Smasher, Braddock and the Flying Tigers, The Frozen Man on the Mountain, another Morgyn, That Mascot called Monty, The Black Sapper, Run Paul-Run, Tough again, Dozy Danny, Flying Fury, The Blitz Kid, Death Rider, V for Vengeance, Cast, Hook and Strike, Braddock of Bomber Command and Eleven Little Soccer Boys. I only need Cast Iron Bill, Tiger McTaggart, The Secret of Black Island and Braddock of Rocket Squadron now. Very Happy!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well my first Ebay purchase of the year arrived. 47 various picture libraries of which 26 were Commandos and they helped to fill another 8 gaps so the rest will be a case of compare and contrast to see which copy is the better and which copy goes on the swapsies pile. Even though I now have two more gaps as I have contributed to Adam's quest to get the full run, I now need less than 600 for a full set myself. I doubt that I will ever have a full run of the first 100 but there is nothing wrong with keeping on the hunt.

The other 19 issues were a mix of War and Battle PLs ranging from the mid 1960s to the mid 1970s. But the gem of these 19 has to be my first ever issue of Wild West Picture Library issue 106 and the cover is just stunning.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

A delivery from Colcool007, my regular fortnightly delivery from DCT and a purchase on EBay mean that I now have the full set of Commando! I’ve started going through them to ensure that is correct and to note issues where I could do with improving but I’m pretty sure that is the lot. 5086 and still going. It’ll take me some time to go through the lot!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:A delivery from Colcool007, my regular fortnightly delivery from DCT and a purchase on EBay mean that I now have the full set of Commando! I’ve started going through them to ensure that is correct and to note issues where I could do with improving but I’m pretty sure that is the lot. 5086 and still going. It’ll take me some time to go through the lot!
well done adam

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

co
Adam Eterno wrote:A delivery from Colcool007, my regular fortnightly delivery from DCT and a purchase on EBay mean that I now have the full set of Commando! I’ve started going through them to ensure that is correct and to note issues where I could do with improving but I’m pretty sure that is the lot. 5086 and still going. It’ll take me some time to go through the lot!
Congratulations Adam. Quite possibly a unique collection and by the sheer amount of numbers issued a consecutive run that would be hard to beat. I've got runs of the Beano and Dandy spanning more years, 78 and 73 respectively, but I certainly can't match 5086 and counting. Of course, it's a good thing that you have such a wide range of comic collecting interests as you might have been left feeling quite bereft having no more Commandos to track down.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Kashgar wrote:Of course, it's a good thing that you have such a wide range of comic collecting interests as you might have been left feeling quite bereft having no more Commandos to track down.
Exactly what I was thinking when I pressed the button to buy the last issue! I'm a collector at heart and I would be lost if I didn't have additional targets. I have quite a few sets that I'm less than 6 comics away from completing so they are taking my concentration along with my main collection of British first issues which I'll continue to add over 100 a year to hopefully. I may look at the 40-50 Comic Albums produced predominantly in the 50s and 60s as they fascinate me as well. There's always something to collect!

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

It doesn't fit with my collecting but something about this album meant I had to buy it! Spaceways Comic Annual 1954
Attachments
SW2.jpg
SW1.jpg
SW.jpg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Adam Eterno wrote:It doesn't fit with my collecting but something about this album meant I had to buy it! Spaceways Comic Annual 1954
Attachments
SW4.jpg
SW3.jpg

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

:cheers: CONGRATS!!!

I've never heard of another full set extant and continuing to be added to with new issues so I think that's unique.

:notworthy:

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Picked up the full run of #1-#50 Wild West Weekly from 1938.

#1 looks rough but that does seem to show up every so often so fingers crossed to find a better copy. If anyone here has one that they're not particularly bothered about hanging onto send me a PM.