What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by colcool007 »

I don't rightly know if we should.

Meanwhile back at the Double C ranch, the collection was supplemented by a donation from Luxembourg. In this donation was a nice chunk of picture libraries, a huge pile of comic reference books, a nice chunk of an Italian comic supplement ABC Dei Regazzi that feature a large chunk of British comics translated into Italian, including Captain Hurricane!

But the absolute no holds barred gem has to be the Lofts and Adley Identification Guide to the D C Thomson and John Leng Children's Annuals 1921 to 1964.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

The Kids Club at Woolworths Comic No.1 which includes a Thundercats strip with art by Steve Parkhouse. Nice!

Captain underpants

Post by Captain underpants »

At yesterday’s boot sale I picked up a couple of commando and some very early war pocket library comics, had my eye on a couple of Alan Class comics from the 70s but at £4 each for not more than reading copies they stayed on the stall. Plus on Saturday picked up the comic scene summer special, not too keen on the strip stories but the rest was worth a read.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Captain underpants wrote:At yesterday’s boot sale I picked up a couple of commando and some very early war pocket library comics, had my eye on a couple of Alan Class comics from the 70s but at £4 each for not more than reading copies they stayed on the stall. Plus on Saturday picked up the comic scene summer special, not too keen on the strip stories but the rest was worth a read.
I'm also not a fan of the strips the magazine seems to be moving away from what it was originally intended and i may not renew my sub as i barely read more than half now if that.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote: I'm also not a fan of the strips the magazine seems to be moving away from what it was originally intended and i may not renew my sub as i barely read more than half now if that.
I've stopped getting it too for the same reason

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I bought the Tammy & Jinty special and i enjoyed it though there was a couple of duds in it .Batman Damned 3 & Superman year one 1 both DC Black label.

blaing

Post by blaing »

Yeah, I should get my copy of the T&J special soon

With my recent luck, I will get this before the 2000AD Ezquerra special :wink:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Just got back from the ephemera fair where I picked up 53 copies of Bunty from 1970 so I presume it's a full year. £50 the lot.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Beano summer special 2019
Dandy summer special 2019
Near complete set Thunderbirds (1991) - 2 still wondering why i bid on thee as i don't like thunderbirds and the like
3 Cor summer specials and a Buster from 1962.
X-files issue 1 with free badge.

EDIT: looking through the thunderbirds they look like decent stories and not photos and cgi pics like last series looked like, does anyone know if these are reprints from a 60s comic?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

When I can afford it- at least one of the `Kari Lente` collections on sale on E.Bay! I never thought i'd ever come across any more of her adventures!
A Face unclouded by thought.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I bought all the 1990s Gerry Anderson comics and they were a mixture of new stories and reprints from TV Century 21.

Thunderbirds is one of my favourite TV shows of all time.

Just looked at GCD and not much info there but some issues do state some contents reprinted from TV Century 21 and Steve Kyte is credited with one story so he was one of the artists producing the new stuff. Thee are also Graham Bleathman cutaway drawings.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Today's arrival was a baker's dozen of Victor annuals and a mixed bag of 20 Picture Library Holiday Specials. I already had some and they allowed me to upgrade the condition of my collection and filled in a few more gaps.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

abacus

Post by abacus »

I often buy the bargain Marvel True Believers comics on wednesday's ( I now have 50 titles)but wasn't keen on today's offering so I didn't bother getting them.

I'm not too keen on a lot of the modern comics however there are exceptions.

Months ago while looking through the Forbidden Planet's 50p boxes I found the last installment of the comic Mata Hari the famous femme fatale and so called spy.
This was the story of her life brought to life in comic form with wonderful artwork.
Well ,last week in Planet's three for a pound box I found the first installment of this Mata Hari comic and this interested me enough to download a book about her life to find out more about her.
Today looking through the 50p boxes I was glad to find a third installment of this 5 part series,
also bought a three comics for a £1 pack of comics.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Bought a nice dark red button down shirt (I only wear button down shirts since my mod days around 1980) in a Greenwich charity shop. They had a box of comics for £1each. A few Battle Weeklies and graphic novels but there was a bag of assorted UK titles for £5 which I bought. It included

Masters of the Universe 1 April 1986
Speed 1 23/2/80
Buddy 54 and 64
Whizzer and Chips 10/2/79, 5/10/85
Wow! 23/4/83
Whoopee! 30/4/83
Playhour 21/6/80
Jack and Jill 20/8/77
Forces in Combat 30 dated 3/12/80
Mickey Mouse 185 5/5/79
Disney Magazine 40 1985

tonyf33

Post by tonyf33 »

Here's a few forthcoming UK and US comics to pre order at your favourite comic shop before they have to get their order into Diamond by July 17th https://comicsflix.org/2019/07/04/comic ... s-issue-2/