What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by AndyB »

Lew Stringer wrote:We have also taken the liberty of adding a different font style (Garamond Bold) for the lettering on the Junior series, so as to provide easier reading to our young readers. The original series were printed in upper case. Tests have shown that the early readers can process text easier and faster in both upper and lower case styles." - Jeff Brooks, publisher
And all the charities dealing with the partially sighted will tell you that mixed case sans serif is best for readability. Garamond is not really a comic lettering font in my opinion... although Tom Frame might have made it work.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Did quite well today.

TOPPER ANNUAL 1962
BEEZER ANNUAL 1965
BEANO ANNUAL 1987
DANDY ANNUAL 1983
BATTLE ACTION FORCE ANNUAL 1986

All in excellent condition.

Plus these comics

SCOOP COMIC 1978
MARSHAL LAW No.1 1990
MELTDOWN No.1 1991
2000AD Winter Special 1989
2000AD No.1033(With free 16 Page replica of the first issue)

All for £4.50p

Raven

Post by Raven »

Quite a nice comic, Scoop. Does yours have one of the striking football art covers?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Done really well today as I won a copy of Victor issue 1. Over the moon, I am. I know that it's not in brilliant nick, but I'm just chuffed to have it after chasing it for more years than I care to think about.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Congrats Col!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Raven wrote:Quite a nice comic, Scoop. Does yours have one of the striking football art covers?
I like Scoop, I only have 2 of them though. This was the one I picked up Friday for 10p.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

colcool007 wrote:Done really well today as I won a copy of Victor issue 1. Over the moon, I am. I know that it's not in brilliant nick, but I'm just chuffed to have it after chasing it for more years than I care to think about.
Was this the Victor on ebay? if so I saw it for sale. How much did you get it for?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

steelclaw wrote:
colcool007 wrote:Done really well today as I won a copy of Victor issue 1. Over the moon, I am. I know that it's not in brilliant nick, but I'm just chuffed to have it after chasing it for more years than I care to think about.
Was this the Victor on ebay? if so I saw it for sale. How much did you get it for?
If it was the one for sale from Clarkie, then yes, it is that one. Got it for a reasonable £34.00 If it was in better nick, then I would have said it was a steal, but there's rips in the spine and it looks to have some detachment as the gum seems to have lost its stickiness, so I am happy to now have a No 1 in my collection.

Also managed to pick up the issues that were the gaps in the 1980 side of the house, so I now have a clean run from 820 to the 1657 (Nov 76 to Nov 92). Not bad going when you consider that my Victor collection 4 years ago was the 1975 Summer Special and nothing else! :lol: But now the cupboard is a bit bare for dosh, so I will be rather niggardly in my Ebay purchases over the next few months.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Colcool, I take it your aim is to collect all Victors. That's a good run 1976-1992, I suppose my aim it to collect all 1970's Wizards, after I stopped in 1974.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

It was actually yesterday, but i think a year's worth (from 1900) of Boys of our Empire, including volume 1 issue 1*, for £9.99, was not bad at all!

Hasn't been delivered yet, but the condition looks pretty good overall. Certainly better than a similarly-sized volume of Chums i bought a while back, and that was from 7 years later!

Oh, also yesterday i took delivery of volumes of Punch, in amazing condition, from 1889, 1890something, 1893 and 1903. £18.99 all told (delivery as well) and very heavy. I wanted to try and sell them on to the booksellers in the town (as i'm only interested in adventure stories, not the 19th century's "Private Eye"!) but they both have large collections already, so i'll hang on to them for now. Tried reading some but i think, as they say, you had to be there.

Another delivery was Vol. 24 of the Girls Own Paper, from circa 1902-3. Not had much of a look at it yet, even, but it's another thing for the collection.

Oh and some Boys' Friend Library too, those are always good, and get snapped up quick when they appear. One of them is a story called "Prefect And Fag", which i am pretty sure i have odd episodes of (as a serial) in some other paper, perhaps the Union Jack.

*-though i beleive this paper to actually date from the 1880's, and it was hastily re-started (using the same content) in 1900 as a cheap way of bringing more money in to try and compete with the unstoppable Alfred Harmsworth.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

steelclaw wrote:Colcool, I take it your aim is to collect all Victors. That's a good run 1976-1992, I suppose my aim it to collect all 1970's Wizards, after I stopped in 1974.
My original intention was to get all the Victors up to 1388 (when the True Stories finished) but when I got 11 years on the bounce for a mere £25 (1083 to 1657) then that resolve went straight out the window! So I am also trying to get the full run of Warlord, Hornet, Hotspur and Wizard. That's my Big 5. :cheers:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Don't you just love freebies?

Post by colcool007 »

Didn't exactly buy them today, but got called up to an office today by one of the managers. Thinking that I was about to get stitched with extra work, I took my time getting to his office. Imagine my surprise and delight to find that he had cleaned out his attic and had four comics from his youth. All dated between 30 Jul and 7 Aug 1966. Now I wonder why he kept those...

I browsed through them, chuffed to find an example of Ron Smith's work that I had never seen. I was then gobsmacked when he asked if I wanted them. I think you can guess the answer. So my loot was Hotspur 354 dated 30 Jul 1966, Buster dated 6 Aug 1966, Beano dated 30 Jul 1966 and Tiger and Hurricane dated 7 Aug 1966. A little ray of sunshine that brightened up my day no end. The only way it could have been better would have been to find a new [to my eyes] Ian Kennedy strip that I had not seen before.

Raven

Re: Don't you just love freebies?

Post by Raven »

Doesn't the Buster of that period have a Champion the Wonder Horse strip? What's that like?

And you must have a Maxwell Hawke instalment there, too. And a Toys of Doom!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Hmm, including ebay arrivals...

Issues 229, 231, 232 and 233 of the Nelson Lee Library from 1919.

Issue 581 of The Triumph

Vol. 4 issue 87 of The Ranger

Issue 252 of The Skipper

Issue 700 of Adventure

Issue 643 of The Wizard (with a missing page or two?)

all from 1935

Issue 1620 of 2000AD

Issues 4167, 4168, 4169 and 4170 of Commando

all from 2009

And the 12th Edge western paperback that i found for 90p! i've heard tell that they can fetch around £20 on Ebay if the bidding gets going.

So in all, not a bad haul XD.

Raven

Post by Raven »

I received five consecutive issues of Valiant from November 1975 in the post today.

The comic is reaching the end of an era at this point. It still has the great classy covers ('The Daredevils') but the best of its classic early 70s strips have finished, and even the fab 1974/75 serials Danny Doom and The Boy Who Went to War have ended.

Still an interesting mix of strips, though, including Kid Pharaoh, The Wild Wonders, Adam Eterno, Sergeant Strong and The Prisoner of Zenga. Probably my favourite is The Potters of Poole Street, a gritty kind of serial about a poor family where the boy, Alfie, is trying to get some money. Bit of a weepie - unusual for Valiant. Beautifully drawn.
Last edited by Raven on 28 Jan 2009, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.