What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hawkeye

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Hawkeye »

Got a lovely copy of the first Rover Book for Boys, 1926. Also 1950 Radio Fun annual with Wilfred Pickles on the cover to go with my 1950 Radio Fun annual with the Tommy Handley cover. Plus a few early Hotspur comics to fill a few gaps.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Hawkeye wrote:Got a lovely copy of the first Rover Book for Boys, 1926. Also 1950 Radio Fun annual with Wilfred Pickles on the cover to go with my 1950 Radio Fun annual with the Tommy Handley cover. Plus a few early Hotspur comics to fill a few gaps.
Did Radio Fun annuals do variant covers ?or was that a typo?

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

big bad bri wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:Got a lovely copy of the first Rover Book for Boys, 1926. Also 1950 Radio Fun annual with Wilfred Pickles on the cover to go with my 1950 Radio Fun annual with the Tommy Handley cover. Plus a few early Hotspur comics to fill a few gaps.
There’s two covers for the 1950. Handley died so they rushed out a Wilfred Pickles.
12CFE696-408F-46A2-9BD6-C5F8C127D2BE.jpeg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Funnily enough my mate Steve won some Radio Funs last week and said a few had blank title panels on the Tommy Handley's strip due to Handley's passing.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:Funnily enough my mate Steve won some Radio Funs last week and said a few had blank title panels on the Tommy Handley's strip due to Handley's passing.
Could you see if you can find out the comic numbers for me please, I'd like to have some of them, cheers

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've just emailed him asking for details.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:I've just emailed him asking for details.
Ta very much.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

koollectablz wrote:
big bad bri wrote:
There’s two covers for the 1950. Handley died so they rushed out a Wilfred Pickles.
12CFE696-408F-46A2-9BD6-C5F8C127D2BE.jpeg
I've just discovered that Tommy Handley actually died in Jan 1949, so they were printing the 1950 annual then? seems a bit early doesn't it?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Issues are 539-542.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Hawkeye wrote:I've just discovered that Tommy Handley actually died in Jan 1949, so they were printing the 1950 annual then? seems a bit early doesn't it?
There were still paper shortages even that long after the war. When printing firms had an allocation they would obviously use it, but where nationwide distribution was concerned they were clearly limited. Furthermore I never felt able to place an order for my copies of Adventure, The Wizard, both on Tuesdays, The Rover, and The Hotspur, both on Thursdays, because as I was in the primary school I never knew from one day to the next whether I would have enough money to buy even one of them, and they only cost twopence. If I only had enough for one I would always choose Adventure, which is still my favourite all these years later, due in large measure to two of their frequently-returning characters, the detective Dixon Hawke and the football player-manager Baldy Hogan. One crucial point to bear in mind is that whichever title you planned to buy, you had to buy on the way to school as the shops would almost certainly have sold their meagre allocation by the time you were on your way home.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:Issues are 539-542.

Thank you, I'll try and hunt some down.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sadly there are very few Radio Fun cover images on Grand Comics Database.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:Sadly there are very few Radio Fun cover images on Grand Comics Database.
I found a couple of the Radio Fun comics for sale on 30th Century Comics, so I asked them to send me some pictures. Sadly they wouildn't, not cost effective apparently. There was me thinking they were comic sellers.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Hawkeye wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:Sadly there are very few Radio Fun cover images on Grand Comics Database.
I found a couple of the Radio Fun comics for sale on 30th Century Comics, so I asked them to send me some pictures. Sadly they wouildn't, not cost effective apparently. There was me thinking they were comic sellers.
Issues of Radio Fun turn up all the time on eBay. That's where I've bought all of mine from.

If you just want to read some of the strips, there are loads of examples on my blog:
https://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=Radio+Fun

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

stevezodiac wrote:Funnily enough my mate Steve won some Radio Funs last week and said a few had blank title panels on the Tommy Handley's strip due to Handley's passing.
I just wanted to see the ones with the blank title panels, numbers 539 to 542. I wonder if all of these numbers were issued with blanks or just a few got through.