What comics did you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What comics did you buy today?

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:
You're very welcome, as by the way I'm quite jealous of the Topper#1.
Ha! It's one of the big British #1s that I don't have so I'm really happy to get it. I try to add one or two a year but they are just so rare......and expensive! I still need Rover, Beezer, Wizard, Magic, Victor, Adventure, TV Century, Eagle etc Let alone Beano and Dandy!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
You're very welcome, as by the way I'm quite jealous of the Topper#1.
Ha! It's one of the big British #1s that I don't have so I'm really happy to get it. I try to add one or two a year but they are just so rare......and expensive! I still need Rover, Beezer, Wizard, Magic, Victor, Adventure, TV Century, Eagle etc Let alone Beano and Dandy!
I think I've probably got duplicates of most of them, I'll pop them in the post to you when I get a minute.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote:
I think I've probably got duplicates of most of them, I'll pop them in the post to you when I get a minute.
that's great thanks and don't forget the World Cup Final tickets and the Twickenham and Wimbledon debentures

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Adam, where do you get your comics? Ebay or from some treasure trove shop?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

stevezodiac wrote:Adam, where do you get your comics? Ebay or from some treasure trove shop?
Ebay for the majority but other auction Houses as well. The Wizard, Knockout, Cor, Whizzer & Chips, Super DC & TV Tornado comics were all in auction in Blackburn. The large lot of Smash/Thunder and various Streamline comics etc from last week were from one in Shropshire.

Because my personal circumstances mean I have to spend a lot of time at home working and as a carer, I have plenty of opportunity to search far and wide online!

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:Adam, where do you get your comics? Ebay or from some treasure trove shop?
Ebay for the majority but other auction Houses as well. The Wizard, Knockout, Cor, Whizzer & Chips, Super DC & TV Tornado comics were all in auction in Blackburn. The large lot of Smash/Thunder and various Streamline comics etc from last week were from one in Shropshire.

Because my personal circumstances mean I have to spend a lot of time at home working and as a carer, I have plenty of opportunity to search far and wide online!
I've often wondered about bidding on auctions that you wouldn't be able to get to in order to pick up your items. Do most of them offer a postal service?

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Hawkeye wrote: I've often wondered about bidding on auctions that you wouldn't be able to get to in order to pick up your items. Do most of them offer a postal service?
Some do but it's a bit of a minefield. I've had a couple of problems with massive postal costs (£15 for a 2kg parcel, £35 for a 6kg and £30 for a 3.5kg). I've learned my lesson and now ask the postage cost in advance and don't assume anything. Some will also add VAT on to the postage cost just to rub salt in! The worst ones are the ones who don't do their postage in-house. You also have to remember the buyer's commission which I've seen up to 26%. The basic rule is check everything beforehand, including quality unless it's someone like Malcom at Compal who only sells comics.

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Adam Eterno wrote:
Hawkeye wrote: I've often wondered about bidding on auctions that you wouldn't be able to get to in order to pick up your items. Do most of them offer a postal service?
Some do but it's a bit of a minefield. I've had a couple of problems with massive postal costs (£15 for a 2kg parcel, £35 for a 6kg and £30 for a 3.5kg). I've learned my lesson and now ask the postage cost in advance and don't assume anything. Some will also add VAT on to the postage cost just to rub salt in! The worst ones are the ones who don't do their postage in-house. You also have to remember the buyer's commission which I've seen up to 26%. The basic rule is check everything beforehand, including quality unless it's someone like Malcom at Compal who only sells comics.
Thats scared me off I reckon. I'll just stick to ebay. Thanks for the info.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Yes!!!! After 15 years or so of trying to complete the set, I've just won a big bunch of UK Spiderman comics and as they became, Spidey comics which means I have the full run of 666 Spiderman comics from the original Spiderman Comics Weekly in 1973 through it's many different names to Spidey in 1985.

The lot also came with a full set of Spiderman and Zoids from 1986/7 but it was the remaining late issues of the 666 run that I wanted as I've hardly ever seen them for sale. They cost a pretty penny but I'm chuffed to bits to complete a set I collected as a young boy. I'm now hoping I can sell the Zoids comics for a good price to get some cash back!

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Adam Eterno wrote:Yes!!!! After 15 years or so of trying to complete the set, I've just won a big bunch of UK Spiderman comics and as they became, Spidey comics which means I have the full run of 666 Spiderman comics from the original Spiderman Comics Weekly in 1973 through it's many different names to Spidey in 1985.

The lot also came with a full set of Spiderman and Zoids from 1986/7 but it was the remaining late issues of the 666 run that I wanted as I've hardly ever seen them for sale. They cost a pretty penny but I'm chuffed to bits to complete a set I collected as a young boy. I'm now hoping I can sell the Zoids comics for a good price to get some cash back!
well done Adam i've just started the set having won a few hundred from phil comics a while back .ill have to do a list of what i need but know i need all the zoids ones lol

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Dandy summer special 2018 and 2000ad collection vol 19,still no sign of Beano 80th special in my whs.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Grand Comics Database states all the stories are from Bulletman 16 published Fall 1946. It also says it's a one-shot despite stating no-monthly frequency.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Everything you need to know about Golden-Age comics and Bulletman in particular: see http://comicsmakenosense.blogspot.com/s ... =bulletman for more goodies
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

starscape wrote:Everything you need to know about Golden-Age comics and Bulletman in particular: see http://comicsmakenosense.blogspot.com/s ... =bulletman for more goodies
Great read-up! I can see why there was only 1 comic launched in the UK though! :)

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Don't listen to starscape, he's got no taste. And I'll have a word with him about this, this weekend.
Bulletman, while not being the greatest superhero ever created, can have some enjoyable stories. That British issue is only half the size of the original American issues, of which there were 16. As these comics are pd, some of you might fancy a read at a few. You will find them here:-
http://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1338
Interestingly, Bulletgirl isn't some shy, always needing rescued sidekick, she really does get stuck into the bad guys.
I like Fawcett comics. They can be very entertaining, including Bulletman, and they have the advantage of the mighty Big Red Cheese, plus Mac Raboy's superb art on Cap. Marvel Jr. and a lot of covers.