Things that only ever happen (and happen a lot) in comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Marionette

Re: Things that only ever happen (and happen a lot) in comic

Post by Marionette »

Sport/talent competitions everywhere that give cash prizes. It's something I noticed in non-humour strips in girls' (and I'm guessing boys') comics that it doesn't matter what skill your protagonist excels at, there will be a cash prize competition in it nearby.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I'm sure Viz has subverted that one a good many times, too. Like when Eight Ace comes last in a body building competition, and wins £1.49 XD

SID

Post by SID »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned:

Comic characters always wear the same clothes day in, day out. Not only applies to humour comics but to a lot of action ones too.
Last edited by SID on 16 Dec 2013, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The same thing happened in sixties tv westerns. In Bonanza I think Little Joe wore the same green jacket for about 25 years and his brother Hoss and dad Ben also never changed. The Virginian wore the same red shirt and black waistcoat for about 15 years. You imagine them opening their wardrobe and seeing a long line of identical clothes and saying "what shall I wear today?".

Cat Simon

Post by Cat Simon »

When the bully gets his come-uppance in the final frame, the whole street is laughing at him, so much that even brick walls jump up and down hysterically, and seagulls laugh by pointing at the bully with one wing, and their other wing on their belly!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Nice one, Cat!

And welcome to the forum.....[well, 'as good as new'-----6 posts , into your fourth year!]