Your Top Five British superheroes: a poll

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Your Top Five British Superheroes

Captain Britain
12%
Marvelman (fifties)
2%
Marvelman (eighties)
6%
The Leopard from Lime St
11%
The Steel Claw
11%
The Spider
7%
Death's Head, yes?
2%
Tim Kelly (Kelly's Eye)
9%
Robot Archie
6%
Big Ben, the Man With No Time for Crime
No votes
Zenith
9%
Billy the Cat
9%
General Jumbo
9%
Young Marvelman
1%
Axa
5%

Total votes: 110

chrissmillie

Re: Your Top Five British superheroes: a poll

Post by chrissmillie »

tony ingram wrote:Captain Britain is in there since, though an American creation, he was effectively created for a UK audience in a British comic
Created of course by London-born, Chris Claremont .

I'd class the likes of Axa, Janus Stark and Danny Doom as more action heroes than superheroes. I mean Captain Hurricane was virtually invulnerable too, with enormous strength but he just doesn't fit what a superhero is. Even Dan Dare wouldn't be in that category for me either. But Adam Eterno would be (or, at least, an anti-hero).
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:I would be more likely to put Fury in, than say King Cobra, as he could walk away from crashes (Cobra bounced), seemed to be immune to bullets and bombs (Cobra wasn't) and had no fear whatsoever (OK, so neither had any fear!). Hmm, Fury makes a better superhero than Batman! :D As for the others like RAF Regan, Braddock, Killer Kane et al, I would leave them in the category of aviation heroes alongside Biggles as none of them displayed anything like super-powers.
Ah, but was Fury's invulnerability due to super powers or just some rather improbable scripting? :lol:

Earl

Post by Earl »

Axa! :idea:

Would have gone with Garth had he been on the list.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

chrissmillie wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Captain Britain is in there since, though an American creation, he was effectively created for a UK audience in a British comic
Created of course by London-born, Chris Claremont .
I know, I know-and Herb Trimpe lived in London, too. But for some reason I always have trouble seeing the original CB as anything other than an American creation. For me, he became British after that false start, when he returned in the Black Knight series. Seriously, the Britain seen in the Captain Britain weekly is about as authentic as the smog enshrouded London streets of Moench's Master of Kung Fu.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Moved to a more appropriate forum!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course the Spider - though certainly a British creation - was written in America by Superman's co-creator for most of the time (as were his fellow superheroes Gadget Man and Gimmick Kid). Personally my favourite British superhero is Paul Grist's wonderful Jack Staff; the fact that he's currently being published by an American company is neither here nor there.

- Phil R.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Have to agree with Phil, Paul Grists Jack Staff is also, for me head and shoulders above the others on this list (as superheros that is, some great characters in that list) I never liked Captain Britain he meant nothing to me at all (although the Moore - Davis strips were good) - what about Grant Morrisons Captain Clyde :coat:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

The 2 superheroes with the most votes are the two I haven't any comics of :shock:
Were they that good,
Captain Britain & Zenith.

Steel Claw all the way, then The Spider

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

I thought Zenith was a good strip as stated previously Cat Britain apart from the odd strip was for me pretty dull but saying that he is a popular character in UK and the US so maybe something I just dont get - I prefer Steel Claw , kELlys eye etc out of the UK characters mentioned

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

steelclaw wrote:Steel Claw all the way,
No surprise there, considering your username! :lol:

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Have to say, the poll is throwing up some surprising results. Zenith and Billy the Cat are out in front? Really? :shock:

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Zenith and Billy the Cat are out in front? Really?
It may be people who haven't read all of the characters voting for ones that they have, of course. I haven't voted for the same reason XD. Zenith is famous for being created by some beardy wordsmith and Billy the Cat has been in The Beano recently, making them more accessible in recent times.

Raven

Post by Raven »

chrissmillie wrote: I'd class the likes of Axa, Janus Stark and Danny Doom as more action heroes than superheroes. I mean Captain Hurricane was virtually invulnerable too, with enormous strength but he just doesn't fit what a superhero is. Even Dan Dare wouldn't be in that category for me either.

Well, I'd say that if Doctor Strange can be considered a superhero, then so can Danny Doom, and if Mr Fantastic can be, so can Janus Stark! They're heroes with extraordinary powers - and they fight evildoers.

Agree about Dan Dare as there's nothing superhuman about him.

If DC's Metal Men are superheroes, I think we can count Danny Drew's Dialling Man, too!

chrissmillie

Post by chrissmillie »

felneymike wrote:
Zenith and Billy the Cat are out in front? Really?
It may be people who haven't read all of the characters voting for ones that they have, of course. I haven't voted for the same reason XD. Zenith is famous for being created by some beardy wordsmith and Billy the Cat has been in The Beano recently, making them more accessible in recent times.
I've read them all and both Zenith and Billy the Cat made my list. Billy the Cat as I so wanted to be him as a kid and Zenith as it really was an astoundingly good saga. Not sure why you think people are going to vote for a 'beardy wordsmith', rather than a good story. I'm also very into golden age superheroes but it's the Alan Moore Marvelman that made my cut, much as I love the early version because it's quite simply an amazing tale.

Captain Britain also makes it for being the first comic I collected. Although I do think the early tales are much under-rated (Dr Synne, Hurricane etc). It was that sprawling Captain America team-up that did for Cap. Less said about the Super Spider-Man and CB comic, the better.
STARSCAPE
http://www.StarscapeComic.co.uk
Classic British reprints and all-new comics

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Raven wrote:Agree about Dan Dare as there's nothing superhuman about him.
Actually he did go through his own 'superhero' phase in 2000AD when he was briefly attached to some sort of 'cosmic claw' device, as drawn by Dave Gibbons.

Personally I always thought Zenith was something of a wasted opportunity, with excellent Steve Yeowell art but a rather derivative (and as far as I know distinctly un-'beardy') Grant Morrison script.

- Phil R.