Comics on TV

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: Comics on TV

Post by Peter Gray »

After covering Kid Gloves at the blog its great seeing this..may I use it for a follow up blog post..please.. 8)

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Peter Gray wrote:After covering Kid Gloves at the blog its great seeing this..may I use it for a follow up blog post..please.. 8)
You're welcome to use it on your blog, Peter. I thought you might like it :D

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Over the festive period, the BBC screened a couple of Morecambe & Wise Christmas shows. The one from 1976 had an opening title sequence that featured a comic motif. The 'comic' featured on the screen for the main part of the title sequence was obviously specially drawn, as it featured Eric & Ernie. However, towards the end of the titles, there was a sequence where the comic pages were flipped through, and it was obvious that the pages shown came from an issue (or issues) of Buster. By putting my PVR in slomo mode, I took the following photos of some of the pages featured, but a certain amount of blurring is evident due to the animated 'flipping' effect.

It seems they even went to the trouble of using at least one page from a Christmas issue of Buster, judging by the contents of the Tomboy page.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Looks like a mix of issues, because Galaxus left the comic in June 1974. The Tomboy strip was probably from the 1974 Christmas issue, and the Bluebottle and Basher reprints were also running at that time.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

:offtopic1:Hi Niblet..
Leo Baxendale has commented on the Snooper strip you gave me for my blog..see updated blog post..it seems it was by his Son Martin that strip..

I get a bit over excited recieving that email... :o :D :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :) :) :) :)

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Wow, Peter - that's fantastic. It must be really great knowing that your blog is read by the mighty Mr Baxendale. Well done!

Raven

Post by Raven »

Not a British comic, but I was just watching episode six of Spring and Autumn, the now slightly obscure 70s Jimmy Jewel sitcom (out on Network) and there's a shiny looking March 1972 issue of DC's Weird Worlds on his young chum's kitchen table:

http://www.erbzine.com/comics/ww02.jpg

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Cash in the Attic on BBC1 this morning, during the auction, expert Paul Hayes was stood in front of a cabinet containing two bundles of comics. One was early 1970s Dandys - I caught a good look at the logo. Couldn't make out what was the other one was at all.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

On one of those auction shows a few weeks ago (I think it was possibly Cash In Your Granny, Flog Your Bargain or Hunt The Attic) there was a bloke who wanted to sell his collection of Marvel UK Star Wars comics. I think the 'expert' valuation was £100, but he eventually got £50.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

That's better than some bloke I saw on one. It was mainly focused on car boot sales, but this bloke said he had "loads of comics including Superman number 1". But they were British ones, so despite containing the same stories, and being of 1970's vintage and in great condition, the comic shop just gave him his marching orders and he got absolutely nothing!

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Another scene from a Benny Hill show, this time originally broadcast on 26 January 1977. Looks like this character is reading a Beano.

Edit: can't get the image to display :roll:

http://s611.photobucket.com/albums/tt19 ... =bhill.jpg

blaing

Post by blaing »

Niblet, you have to use the Image

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Here's pics from the "Last of the Summer Wine" episode "Cheering Up Gordon" from 1976 where Compo (at Scarborough) uses a comic to cover his face on the beach. I think it's a copy of Hotspur, can't quite make out the title (and i'm not familiar enough with that comic to recognise the logo) but i'm sure someone will be able to confirm it :D

Raven

Post by Raven »

Yes, an early 1976 Hotspur and Hornet with Charlie's Ant on the back.

Danny Boyd on the cover, possibly?

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Raven wrote:Yes, an early 1976 Hotspur and Hornet with Charlie's Ant on the back.

Danny Boyd on the cover, possibly?
There's another shot later on where you can see the words "Beware the Black Arrows" on the yellow scroll at the bottom of the cover