Broons/Oor Wullie 75 next week.

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: Broons/Oor Wullie 75 next week.

Post by paw broon »

I'm out here in Falkirk and this morning we had snow on the ground and the forecast is for much more. But as has been pointed out The Post is also printed in London, so in the far south, you'll be o.k. My local Spar gets lots of copies so, I'm all right, Jack. Rolls, milk and a Sunday Post, what more could you want?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Some bacon to go in the rolls? With Ketchup. Sadly my Tesco only sells bacon in packs of ten rashers and, living alone, I'm not going to get through ten rashers before it goes mouldy. As for the milk that is best drunk with a mouth full of custard creams. My favourite biscuit of all time were McVities Digestive Creams but they vanished many years ago. Used to have them in school with my free milk in the 60s - a packet of three for threepence.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Funny that... I still see cheap brand Digestive Creams (which are the same shape as Custard Creams for some reason), and McVities do make HobNob Creams, so I don't see why they don't bring those back.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I can get those cheap versions in Deptford High Street at three for a pound.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

So did anyone buy a copy of today's Sunday Post? What was the supplement like?

My local shops had all sold out! The Broons and Oor Wullie are even popular in Warwickshire.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

Lew Stringer wrote:So did anyone buy a copy of today's Sunday Post? What was the supplement like?

My local shops had all sold out! The Broons and Oor Wullie are even popular in Warwickshire.
It's quite good...it's the same paper as the main newspaper, and in black and white.

page 1 - title page
page 2 - The Birth of the Broons and Oor Wullie
page 3 - The Banned strip (a Broons strip from 1936 about Daphne Eloping, banned because the reference to Daphne's lad being "My lover" was too racy). also a bit about Oor Wullie's missing brother
page 4&5 - The Broons and Oor Wullie at war (including the Nazi Hit list)
page 6 - adverts
page 7 - Selection of puzzles and jokes from the fUn Section
page 8&9 - Reprints of the first strips, plus a 25 question quiz on Oor Wullie, and the same for The Broons
page 10 - adverts
page 11 - Celebrity appearances and a A-Z guide to the scottish idioms used in the strips
page 12 - Reprints of other strips from the Fun Section (Wishbone Wuzzy, Silias Snatcher and Austen & his Auto), all by Alan Morley
page 13 - The But n Ben
page 14 - Profiles of Dudley Watkins, Peter Davidson and a potted description of the other artists.
page 15 - Merchandise
page 16 - Adverts

There's also the cover of the Summer Annual and what I presume is the regular reprint book on sale in September (described as "75th Anniversary book").

The cover of the Summer Annual seems to indicate it'll have Broons and Oor Wullie playing cards, and is described on the cover as "Family Fun Strips, Puzzles, Holiday Stickers").

jakob1978

Post by jakob1978 »

here's a pretty poor quality scan of the covers to the summer and regular annual

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

jakob1978 wrote:page 12 - Reprints of other strips from the Fun Section (Wishbone Wuzzy, Silias Snatcher and Austen & his Auto), all by Alan Morley
All these comic strips started out life in The Big Five. Wishbone Wuzzy was in The Skipper, Silias Snatcher was in The Hotspur, and Austen and his Auto was in The Rover. Making his debut in issue 289 (Oct. 29 1927), the last named was the earliest of these three to appear.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked up the only three copies I could find - one for my mate Steve and one spare. Its a shame there were full page adverts included in the 16 page pullout but on reflection it was a great thing for the Sunday Post to do - I can't imagine any other newspaper doing something like that. Good to see the banned strip - unsuitable because of the word Lover - couldn't they have just changed the word to Beau? Boyfriend? Intended? Swain?

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I've seen worse than full page ads in a commemorative pullout, a while ago there was this box of Daily Mirror Memories, a couple of them were full issues but the rest were just 4-pagers with the relevant stuff for the story - and the period adverts replaced with modern ones for Time computers!
It was as bad as those terrible CGI doors they ruined "Look Around You" with

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Sorry to be a bit late with this but I only just found a copy of the National Library of Scotland magazine. Hope this will be of interest - at least it's been recognised as a national treasure.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

So Primrose, Wullie's female confidante, sometimes takes him off for a spot of retail therapy. Wow, euphemisms get more and more inventive with each passing day! At least now he knows there is more to life than sitting on that bucket.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

"drag" would be a more appropriate word. It is still very much the case that the only shops Wullie likes are the sweet shop and the toy shop!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

The latest issue of the Scots Magazine (which they have in my SE London branch of Smiths) has the Broons on the cover and a 75th anniversary article inside. Twice i've thumbed through it but not bought it. Six or seven pages in the article. Maybe i'll buy it today.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I got the Scots Magazine. What I didn't know was that the present Broons/Oor Wullie artist Peter Davidson used to play with Dudley Watkins's son and could see DDW working at his desk upstairs. He said Dudley held his pen very near the top when he drew.