Carl Thomas Anderson - Kensitas Cigarettes Cards

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DJDogfart

Carl Thomas Anderson - Kensitas Cigarettes Cards

Post by DJDogfart »

I found in my loft, the attached Kensitas Cigarette cards illustrated by Carl Thomas Anderson. My Grandad smoked all his life and I think they came from him (he died in the early '90s) I was wondering if anyone could date them. I was amused to see that 1004 doctors recommended these death sticks! My Grandad was about 80 when he died, so it would seem they didn't do him too much harm!!
Henry Cards.jpg
Scccrrruunnge

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Carl Thomas Anderson - Kensitas Cigarettes Cards

Post by Phoenix »

DJDogfart wrote:I found in my loft, the attached Kensitas Cigarette cards illustrated by Carl Thomas Anderson. / I was wondering if anyone could date them.
There were five series of fifty Henry cards, DJ, two in 1935 and three in 1936. There were also two sets of twenty-five extra-large size cards issued in addition to the two sets of fifty large-size cards issued in 1935. If you can tell me which of the five sets your cards come from, I will be able to let you know the current catalogue price of individual cards and sets, always assuming that you are interested in such information.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

DJDogfart wrote:My Grandad was about 80 when he died, so it would seem they (cigarettes) didn't do him too much harm!!
There is nevertheless, DJ, the possibility that a lifetime of smoking might have fundamentally prevented him from living to 90 and beyond.

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Phoenix wrote:
DJDogfart wrote:My Grandad was about 80 when he died, so it would seem they (cigarettes) didn't do him too much harm!!
There is nevertheless, DJ, the possibility that a lifetime of smoking might have fundamentally prevented him from living to 90 and beyond.
That is of course true, I would not recommend that anyone start smoking!
I was interested to see how old these cards are, I plan to find out more about them.
I would be interested to see how much they are worth, just for curiosities sake.
Does this post technically belong here here or should it be in non comics? Wasn't sure...
Scccrrruunnge

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks to me like they're similar to the single panel gags newspapers use. If you were talking about cards with photos of footballers on, yes, they'd belong in off topic, but this one is cartoons, so it's fine here, I think.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Henry is, of course, a well-known American cartoon character syndicated by King Features. He first appeared in the Saturday Evening Post and has also starred in his own comic-book.

- Phil Rushton