Launch of a new blog

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Launch of a new blog

Post by colcool007 »

After many years and much prompting, I have eventually taken the plunge and created a blog on comics. If any one can visit or offer constructive criticism, then it would be appreciated.

https://nothingbutafan.wordpress.com/20 ... llo-world/ is the first post. I know the site looks clunky, but it will improve...eventually.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Lew Stringer

Re: Launch of a new blog

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:After many years and much prompting, I have eventually taken the plunge and created a blog on comics. If any one can visit or offer constructive criticism, then it would be appreciated.

https://nothingbutafan.wordpress.com/20 ... llo-world/ is the first post. I know the site looks clunky, but it will improve...eventually.
Welcome to Blogworld, Colin! Best of luck with it. I use Blogger, rather than Wordpress, so I don't know if the design options are similar or not but it's off to a good start so best of luck with it!
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Looks calmingly cool, o Col-esque one!

It is quite time-consuming doing a good blog, but there is a great sense of satisfaction creating one-----very easy to put on hi-rez images as well, unlike most forum servers which easily overload.

Here's hoping yer blog runs and runs.......

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I always upload images at 72dpi, medium to high setting, usually at around 30cm width for comic pages, with the size setting at large. (Then the image will expand when the visitors to your blog click on it, although it's best to remind them as some don't realise that and complain "the pictures are too small".)
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

dishes

Post by dishes »

Good luck, col.
I have the 1976 Victor annual; always thought it had a strange cover. (Gaudy colours for a battle scene).
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

well done col i've been thinking for years of doing a blog or comic website but never seem to get the thinking about it stage :lol:

George Shiers

Post by George Shiers »

Good luck with it! I had lots of fun with my blog back when I was doing it, and learnt heaps along the way too! :)
Visit my blog all about British comics old and new! http://www.whackycomics.blogspot.com

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Sorry to hi-jack your thunder, o cool one, but on the subject of blogs, here is my current assessment of the decline of the UK comics industry, along with my first BEANO-like sketches I have done this current Century:

http://zoomertoonsrabsmith.blogspot.co. ... -part.html

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Excellent stuff Colin. I wish I had the energy and commitment to do that - actually, even the knowledge of how to go about it would help. Good luck with it. I have that Space Aces book but nothing else on your list. Range Rider (and Dick West, of course) and Roy Rogers are most enjoyable western strips but the ones I have are the Dell comics versions. Are the ones you have real British WDL annuals or the glued together hardback b&w Miller reprints? Or something else?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:Excellent stuff Colin. I wish I had the energy and commitment to do that - actually, even the knowledge of how to go about it would help. Good luck with it. I have that Space Aces book but nothing else on your list. Range Rider (and Dick West, of course) and Roy Rogers are most enjoyable western strips but the ones I have are the Dell comics versions. Are the ones you have real British WDL annuals or the glued together hardback b&w Miller reprints? Or something else?
Thanks for the first comment Paw. I was beginning to think I was talking to myself! I must admit that I am going to be sending Mr McShane up a bit as he will be the Des O'Connor to my rotund Russ Abbot! :lol:

The Range Rider annual is by Dean and the Roy Rogers is a WDL with a nice little bonus.
Roy Rodgers and autograph.jpg
The reason I picked up the Range Rider is due to the internal art being done by Leo Rawlings, a Victor stalwart.

I must admit that I am currently enjoying this blogging malarkey and the moment it turns into a chore is the moment it comes to a dead stop.

Rab, I can see your point, but I just don't see it that way. The comics sector has continued to evolve and it has to or it is dead in the water. I lament the comics of my youth as much as the next guy, but I truly believe we are in a golden age for comic fans. I have never met as many creators as I have in the last two years. My comic collection continues to grow and while I can, I will continue to collect old and new comics. And my current sketch book continues to get some awesome sketches from active artists who don't mind me being a cheapskate!

At the moment, I can hardly wait for the next instalment of Uber. Or to go to Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday for the Glasgow ComicCon organised by Black Hearted Press in the Contemporary Centre for Arts on Sauchiehall Street. 5 sleeps to go!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Thanks for the info. But I'm about to demonstrate another gap in my knowledge of British comics. Range Rider - this obviously contains material originated here. So does the book reprint strips from somewhere else, not Dell it seems, or was the work done specifically for the book? Sorry to be a nuisance.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:Thanks for the info. But I'm about to demonstrate another gap in my knowledge of British comics. Range Rider - this obviously contains material originated here. So does the book reprint strips from somewhere else, not Dell it seems, or was the work done specifically for the book? Sorry to be a nuisance.
You got me intrigued now as I thought you would know better than I! :lol:

Looking at the contents is quite interesting. The original Dell comics can be read at Fury Comics. And if you look at page 1 of the comic, you can see it is copyright 1952 Tie-Ups Inc. Now we fast forward to 1962 and look at the book produced by Dean. It is completely illustrated by Leo Rawlings, but just as interesting is the fact that the is marked as Authorized Edition and the copyright is as seen below.
Copyright close up.jpg
I've done it extra big so it doesn't hurt your eyes. :D And we can see it is copyright Tie-Ups Inc. So definitely a link between Dell comics and Dean.

It could be a case of material being produced under license or it could be material created for the original US print run, being reused in the UK when Range Rider was shown in the UK in the early 1960's. What makes it really interesting is that only one story is a comic strip and all the rest are text stories by Arthur Groom with occasional spot illustrations.

So it makes me think that this is either all new material by Arthur Groom (most likely) or Arthur Groom edited the original US scripts to put them into story format (considering his output, I doubt that this is the case, but I've put it in just to cover the bases).

Interestingly, I have just watched thisvideo and it looks like Tie-Ups Inc spread their net wide as the 1956 Television Favourites Western Annual featured a Range Rider comic strip story in comic format. Unfortunately it is a bit too blurry for me to figure out if it is one of the Dell stories being reprinted, but it would not surprise me.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Do not worry about lack of comments on your blog, Col: it is part and parcel of this business.

Some really great blogs get absolutely no comments---I hardly get any myself, but I know for a fact many people return to read the postings by the source coding of the 'hits'.

I've had about 7000 hits since March, which I am fairly happy with. It also encourages me to keep drawing ,which is a good thing.

Even vistors from I site I am banned from look in at my stuff! [seemingly regularly]

I notice a lot of folks pack in their blogs though---maybe the pressure of working all day for some?

I like to think I lead a full life but I always try to find time for regular bloggery, even if it is just adding a new pencil sketch.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I had a look in the British Guide but no Range Rider listings at all. But that McAlpine Guide has a some errors and quite a few omissions. You've got me really curious now. I have to call Wee John for something else, so I'll also ask him if he can shed any light on the matter. I'm not certain about this but I don't think there was a Miller Range Rider album but something is ringing a bell about a Range Rider strip in a British comic. Certainly TV Tornado had The Lone Ranger, along with The Phantom, Man From Uncle etc. I'm probably havering here.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Thanks for taking the time to read my doom-laden take on the current comics-scene, Col [and anyone else].

It's the funnies market I was pinpointing in particular; 2000 ad for example still puts out some highly-accomplished stuff.

I am not saying the BEANO is putting out substandard stuff, but there are a lot of corner-cutting approaches being used there that we never used to get.

Yes, things should evolve over time, and streamlining is often for the best, but there comes a point where standards definitely lower, maybe it's just a natural winding down of quality---the same thing happened with TV.

I am not complaining though: there is loads of the old stuff to keep me going.

Maybe it's just me still stuck in the past!