What's your least favourite single comic strip ever?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tictak

What's your least favourite single comic strip ever?

Post by tictak »

By this i mean certain episodes of strips that have annoyed you. As aforementioned, i hate the strip in the 2001 BSK annual where they fall in love with their reserve teacher, but what about you?

Gilly

Re: What's your least favourite single comic strip ever?

Post by Gilly »

For me its when they changed Dennis into the style of the new TV series.

It annoyed me that they couldn't call him the menace anymore and it wasn't in the style of the Dennis I grew up with

tictak

Post by tictak »

That's not really what i'm talking about, i mean which one-off, weekly strip annoyed you the most.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Sorry but the fact that it was like that does make it my least favourite single comic strip

Apart from that I can't think of a strip that I particularly didn't like

tictak

Post by tictak »

The reason i didnt like that strip was: Why have a strip about the Bash Street Kids fancying a girl? Of all the storie-lines they could have picked, it was the most sickening, ridiculous, hateful and perverted strip i have ever seen in my life. They seemed too broken-hearted when they found out she was married, i'd never do that! Whoever was the scriptwriter at that time should have been sacked. Disgraceful. I'm sorry, Classics Comics, if that was you, but i just didnt get it. Sorry. :offtopic1: But didnt Iain McLaughlin once post up on here all the strips you've written for? I couldnt see it when i searched on his profile. Can anybody give a link?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I think Mike Pearse wrote his own, and 2001 was his era.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

From the Avengers weekly in 1974, the arrival of Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu in issue 28 gets my vote. By the following issue he'd become the cover star with his name bigger than the Avengers own and was also the first strip. A real cuckoo in the nest if ever there was one. Hated it.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

tictak wrote:The reason i didnt like that strip was: Why have a strip about the Bash Street Kids fancying a girl? Of all the storie-lines they could have picked, it was the most sickening, ridiculous, hateful and perverted strip i have ever seen in my life. They seemed too broken-hearted when they found out she was married, i'd never do that! Whoever was the scriptwriter at that time should have been sacked. Disgraceful. I'm sorry, Classics Comics, if that was you, but i just didnt get it. Sorry. :offtopic1: But didnt Iain McLaughlin once post up on here all the strips you've written for? I couldnt see it when i searched on his profile. Can anybody give a link?
I don't remember that strip at all. However, it's the first time I've ever heard a Beano story described in those terms and I struggle to imagine how a Beano strip could have caused such extreme offence. It wasn't one of mine. I was on the Dandy at that time. And as far as I remember, I've never worked out a full list of all the stories I've written for. I'd guess it's well over a hundred stories and a total of about 15,000 scripts. But I'm in no hurry to sit down and work it out.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

It was one of Mike Pearse's sagas, so wouldn't have been by the Beano office.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

tictak wrote:it was the most sickening, ridiculous, hateful and perverted strip i have ever seen in my life.
What a thing to write.

Maybe it's your sick perverted mind.

tictak

Post by tictak »

I wasnt being perverted, it just didnt seem right.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Mike Pearse wasn't doing anything original there, though. At one time or another, the majority of boys in the comics seem to meet someone way out of their league that they fancy, even if they're very much at the "girls smell, but Toots is all right because she's one of us lads" stage.

It even happened to Oor Wullie, if you ask him privately what he really thinks about Primrose Patterson.

tictak

Post by tictak »

Ah, Wullie seems to like her more in the Peter Davidson strips, i always feel. He seems to hate her in the Ken Harrison strips.

tictak

Post by tictak »

Talking of which, in the 2004-2007 Jak and Todd strips Todd fancies mandy! I find that weird.