Comics That Were Never Real

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Comics That Were Never Real

Post by SID »

What comics have you come across on the Internet that were never real?

I have two examples:

Judge Dredd printed by IPC Magazines in 1978. A very clever mock up. If only it had existed. :(

Spider-Man and Doctor Who Weekly. A merger of Marvel's Spider-Man and Doctor Who Weekly comics. Not a bad mock up until you realise that the design of that particular Spider-Man comic is a few years too early and that issue date/issue number belongs to the second issue of the just merged Spider-Man and Hulk Weekly.
Attachments
jrpipv.jpg
Spider-Man And Doctor Who Weekly _377.jpg
Last edited by SID on 20 May 2015, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

SID

Re: Comics That Were Never Real

Post by SID »

Robbie Moubert wrote:Leg Stringer did this April fool a few years ago.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/ ... -1972.html
Thanks, Robbie. Just read it.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

SID wrote:
Robbie Moubert wrote:Leg Stringer did this April fool a few years ago.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/ ... -1972.html
Thanks, Robbie. Just read it.

And two more.....

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... comic.html

http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... -1961.html

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

That Dredd mock-up is absolutely on the money, it is almost as if I could pick it up and see previously unearthed material from Ezquerra and Mc Mahon from 1977!

The colour scheme and lettering is extremely authentic-looking from the period, and even the Dredd image chosen is not immediately reconizable---great choice, from whoever put this together.

Just imagine if such an item with unseen material was to turn up............

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I found the image the mock-up Dredd cover originated from--quite coincidentally, looking through very early issues of 2000 ad. just last night---good, visceral stuff--less mature compared to todays' Dredd, but brimming with vitality.
This is lifted from Prog 10, so very early indeed, and this is a masterful manipulation job that has not only been 'flipped', but has the shoulder pad and eagle corrected to the right way round---as well as the blast from the lawgiver removed----- so a fair bit of skill involved here.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:What comics have you come across on the Internet that were never real?

I have two examples:

Judge Dredd printed by IPC Magazines in 1978. A very clever mock up. If only it had existed. :(

Spider-Man and Doctor Who Weekly. A merger of Marvel's Spider-Man and Doctor Who Weekly comics. Not a bad mock up until you realise that the design of that particular Spider-Man comic is a few years too early and that issue date/issue number belongs to the second issue of the just merged Spider-Man and Hulk Weekly.
One of my fellow aficianados has reminded me that these have been featured elsewhere. Michael Carroll spent way too much time creating that mock up. Jeremy Briggs covered it in this article for Down The Tubes And Graham Reid's homage to the cover art of Starblazer is another good example of an issue that was never real.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!