Help identifying a mystery comic from the 1990s

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Marquischacha

Help identifying a mystery comic from the 1990s

Post by Marquischacha »

Hello all

I don't know if anyone will be able to help me but this is probably the best place to ask!

My grandmother bought a comic for me in the early 90s and I cannot for the life of me remember the name. I only remember a few things about it:

- I probably had it at some point between 1993-5, in a WHSMiths

- It was more a kind of "magazine" type format than the usual Beano or Dandy style strip papers. By this I mean I think I remember there being puzzles and articles as well as comic strips.

- The back cover had a large illustration of "The Ugly Bug Ball", which was an A4 picture of insects at a dance.

- I think (and this is very hazy) that the "flagship" character of this publication was a girl/tomboy of some sort.

That's all I have I'm afraid! If anyone can shed any light on any similar sounding publications from that time (even earlier or later as I'm not 100% on the years), that would be great!

Thanks
Rob :)

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Help identifying a mystery comic from the 1990s

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Cosmic, perhaps? A spin-off from Time Out, which had a mix of comics and puzzles and, yes, occassional articles. Articles based on history and space in early issues, and based on pop stars and films in later issues.

One of the flagship characters was called Talista, a girl who could travel through time. Maybe it's that one?
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Cosmic, perhaps? A spin-off from Time Out, which had a mix of comics and puzzles and, yes, occassional articles. Articles based on history and space in early issues, and based on pop stars and films in later issues.

One of the flagship characters was called Talista, a girl who could travel through time. Maybe it's that one?
It wasn't Cosmic, though I did used to have that as well! It was very similar to Cosmic in many respects, but I remember Cosmic came out in perhaps 1996 or 1997? The one I'm after was definitely more 1993-5ish.

Incidentally, do copies of Cosmic ever surface on eBay or the like?

Thanks for the reply!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

My mistake there sorry, I missed the 1993-5 bit. You DO have me wondering now, though!
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Cosmic, perhaps? A spin-off from Time Out, which had a mix of comics and puzzles and, yes, occassional articles. Articles based on history and space in early issues, and based on pop stars and films in later issues.

Cosmic was a spin-off from Take a Break, not Time Out. I have issue zero, which was given free with Take a Break which my mum bought at the time.

Marquischacha

Post by Marquischacha »

Which other characters were in Cosmic? I'm certain it's not the comic I'm looking for though!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Captain Cosmic and Sergeant Star, plus Talista's Travels in Time which was already mentioned.

You can thank TwoHeadedBoy for the info: http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... &start=195

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Here's a scan of the cover of Cosmic issue zero. It had 52 pages full colour throughout.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Whoops - I see it's Taliska, not Talista.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Bit of a long shot, but maybe it was Quiz Kids?

It's been around since 1987, still going now...

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Good seeing Cosmic again. I had a website about that comic a few years back. Seems to have been taken offline now. Actually it was a pretty good comic. Had the first 5 Issues.

The Cap.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Tell me the URL and maybe I can find an archive. There's at least three possibilities if it was Geocities, and archive.org is good for most things unless there's a robots.txt blocking their crawler.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Digi , alas it was tripod and they have a habit of deleting sites that haven't been visited in a while. I had no robots.txt file and trust me , I tried the wayback machine myself. Actually this program seems to be down at the moment. I'm sure I have the site files on an external hard drive somewhere , but I'm buried in hard drives :-) Also ,I'm extremely busy with The Yellowed Pages so it may be a while before I can dig it out.

The Cap.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Digi , I found the link to my Cosmic site I did a few years back on another old site I used to do , now long abandoned :-) Here's the link http://cosmiccomic0.tripod.com/index.html Most of the first Issue is there though some links may be dead. Still , enjoy what there is of it ,

sincerely,

The Cap.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Heh, so it wasn't down after all. Thanks.