What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Re: What comics DIDN'T you buy today?

Post by Digifiend »

I'm not certain, but I think it was 1976.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Well that's definitely not 1985 :D

If you go back there would you be able to pick it up, and I'll pay you however much it costs plus postage?
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

blaing

Post by blaing »

This is unusual, me posting in the "what DIDN'T you buy today" thread, but today I lost out on a bundle of ten issues of Sparky. It wouldn't have made a significant dent on my missing issues, though (only two out of about eighty odd issues to collect from 1965-1975).

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

....Nyaarrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!

This afternoon, after leaving the Manchester Comic Mart, I strolled over to a nearby second-hand book stall to see if they had any old comics for sale. Unfortunately, all I could find were a handful of coverless Valiants and Victors from the early 1960s - and as I was looking for anything more substantial the stallholder came up behind me and rather smugly announced that I'd just missed a great pile of old comics (including lots of Beanos and Dandys) which he'd sold to someone else only moments before!

Sometimes I really hate comics collectors....! :(

- Phil Rushton

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I went to Manchester Comic Mart as well on Sat - nothing tempted me, was less a representation of Brit comics than at last 2 (and I can't get into 2000AD - I like what's set in the everyday now in the UK)- I can't relate to anything American (and the guys on reception tried to tempt me with we have British editions of Marvel - does nothing for me I said).

Phil - where was that market stall you went to? I went round shops to see if I could find anything and it appears I've been missing a market for years under my nose... :headbash: (though what they got the time you went wouldn't tempt me...nad Beanos & Dandys don't tempt me...)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

blaing wrote:This is unusual, me posting in the "what DIDN'T you buy today" thread, but today I lost out on a bundle of ten issues of Sparky. It wouldn't have made a significant dent on my missing issues, though (only two out of about eighty odd issues to collect from 1965-1975).
---what is your favourite period of Sparky, then, blaing?

the 1965-Feb 1969 early 'nursery' version [almost fairy-tale like, somewhere between Bimbo and Beano]:

---or after Feb 1969, when the comic was edited by Ian Chissolm, and it took on a 'zanier' approach?

blaing

Post by blaing »

for me, It would have to be the 1969 to 1977 era.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Gotta agree! The early incarnation has a curious charm, but I felt the comic was a bit 'odd' in the early days, even first time around---not bland, though!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

DavidKW wrote:Phil - where was that market stall you went to? I went round shops to see if I could find anything and it appears I've been missing a market for years under my nose... :headbash:
It's across the road from the entrance to the Arndale Market, Dave - Though I'd be surprised if you aren't already familiar with it. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred they have nothing comic-related, but I always check it on the off-chance whenever I'm in Manchester.

- Phil R.

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

A Dandy comic number 2 with its jumping frog free gift in mint to very near mint condition mainly because it cost £2000....

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

dandy mad wrote:A Dandy comic number 2 with its jumping frog free gift in mint to very near mint condition mainly because it cost £2000....
Phew! For a moment there I thought this was the thread about what you did buy today! :shock:

- Phil R.

matrix

Post by matrix »

dandy mad wrote:A Dandy comic number 2 with its jumping frog free gift in mint to very near mint condition mainly because it cost £2000....
That was a bargain, at least compared to this link.

http://www.realretrostuff.co.uk/page/4/

dandy mad

Post by dandy mad »

£6k and its in much worse condition! Plus the lady that was selling the Dandy number2 had the complete year for 1938 but I didn't ask the price for those as I was already scraping my jaw up from the floor after asking the price for the 2nd Dandy.... Shocking the price of early Dandy's nowadays!!!!

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Thanks Phil of course I remember it now (doh!); I've not walked past it for a while (and not got into Manchester much lately) & times I've been to stall there's never been anything comic-related.

Still it shows you never know what sometimes turns up at these places...

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Went to a local car boot this morning and saw some Jackie from 1969 & a pile of 1967 Victors, but was not tempted to buy eithers, much as I like football & pop music/culture from those eras.

Budgets & storage space are limited for now anyway.

Always preferred IPCs efforts at sport strips & some ladies I was chatting to a while back say that switching over to Jackie was the biggest mistake they ever made!