{Print on demand DC thomson

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

{Print on demand DC thomson

Post by Peter Gray »

Coming sometime in the future...
But with the new format, will you be exploring any of that?
With the new format, if you look at – not even going to the adult books, I’ll tell you about that in a minute – you know the likes of Moshi Monsters, that has this massive selling comic on the go. The comic came from a very successful website, web comic, and then back to print. That’s a very interesting concept that the Dandy could come right round and come back to print. If we’re successful enough. One of the things we can do, with the marvels of print-on-demand, and the fact that we have this site, is we could look at collections, individual collections of characters. That would be, I would say, an adult market for sure.
Right at this minute we’re in the middle of a major, major scanning initiative, basically to scan every comic we have. We’re working on The Dandy and The Beano at the moment, but we’ll do them all. That then leaves us open to print on demand a collection. I can’t say a definite, but I think that would be one of the ways you could monetise a digital comic.
Morris Heggie

What would you like to have reprinted and to own...

It can be from any DC Thomson title...any character..year...

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/the-dandy-goe ... 6-to-2006/

I would love A3 size banana bunch by Leo baxendale..I'll collect one year at a time...
or even The Beezer from the beginning onwards...

complete Jonah...its amazing we'll be able to do this now..

collect Black Bob stories..

Bash street kids by Leo year by year...

I just love the fact it will be reprinted on paper on demand...

Tin Can Tommy

Re: {Print on demand DC thomson

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I'd like to be able to have a print on demand book with all the strips drawn by one particular artist eg all of Ken Reid's work for both The Beano and The Dandy.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Basically the entire output of DCT/IPC and every other comics publisher.......to get this online or on disc is long overdue, as lamented endlessly on here...

Print is nicer and the real deal, but it's too expensive to put out tailored versions .........ideally I'd like to see all the DCT 'funnies' stuff from the entire 1960s available to see.

Dunder Ed

Post by Dunder Ed »

Id love a book containing all of DDWs characters, Micky, Biffo, Desperate Dan, Ginger, Lord Snooty all tailor made into a lovly hard back annual.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

The way people get entire years of comics bound i would love to get entire years of dct titlles done this way or complete johnah bash st kids etc

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'd love to see vintage copies of the Weekly News. Unlike the comics you just never see old editions on sale anywhere. Also complete Sunday Post Fun Sections.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I was thinking of all the lovely adventure strips that could be collected like..

Paddy B's Sinbad the sailor his first Beano work from the 50's...

How about Ken Hunters adventure stories collected...

Classics from the comics mentioned they were scanning awhile back...so lets hope its not too long to see and to request..

I Spy could be collected up..

:cheers:

Digifiend

Re: Print on demand DC thomson

Post by Digifiend »

They did say Beano and Dandy will be scanned first - probably because their websites can offer the back issues as digital downloads.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I do hope a lot of this stuff surfaces before too long in one format or another---it's just languishing in the archives, and most young people today probably doesn't even know this stuff even existed!

The fact that DCT are stating officially they are scanning wades of material is a healthy sign, though......fingers crossed!

Loved the I SPY omnibus suggestion, Peter-----and how about Ken Hunter and Robert Nixon omnibuses?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hmmmm....It'd be nice if they made some of Leo Baxendale's Banana Bunch sets available as large posters suitable for framing. 8)

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

DCT had stacks of bound volumes of vintage comics up on the office shelves: I often looked through them: the earliest I looked through was Wartime Beanos [naturally yellowed].

However, just one years' output of Sparky in a single volume took up over 1000 pages--it felt like a telephone directory! And that was just cheap newsprint---deluxe paper like in use today would make a bound volume bulky and very expensive to put out.

Sadly I feel this luxurious and desirable approach is simply too expensive to be a viable business concern......[it's by far the best format, though], and I envisage online editions or dvd-roms the way forward......after early reservations, I see this as the future of comics collection [in the main, but there will always be 'print purists' and I'm certainly not about to chuck out any of my book on comics, annuals, etc] for purely pragmatic, practical reasons.

I've been able to catch up with a helluva lot of comics History recently through this route---lets' see it become OFFICIAL!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

All of Ian Kennedy's work for DCT in one place. Wow! I think I have just found my happy place.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Yeah but the whole point of "print on demand" is they only print the amount that are going to be sold, so complete bound years (though I should think it's more like you'll be restricted to 6-monthly blocks) of comics are not out of the question, nor are books collecting just one strip for a given length of time (even obscure ones). It's just a matter of the computer calling up the given pages and printing them out. Of course it will be expensive, perhaps as much as £60 for a volume of Beanos... but what would you pay for a 6-month run of original wartime issues? I for one can't wait! (hope they have nice cover designs, though, and maybe black and red stripes on the spines).

In some places in America there's even "Espresso book machines" that will print and bind anything from a digital archive while-u-wait!

DCT are already doing this, in a way. I doubt there's a big warehouse full of A1 Commando cover posters waiting for somebody to buy them!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

DC Thomson were doing a low key print on demand before..I can't find the post But I think some one wanted a Dandy adventure story complete and they printed it and bound and he was very pleased...Crimson Ball I think it was?

As you say we could read really early Beano's and Dandy's which is amazing...

Tom Thumb by Dudley D Watkin's would be another good one to collect together

Jonah in bound volumes on demand is a reality...hopefully not too long..

Classics from the comics mentioned the scanning in 2010 September...so its two years later...so there must have been some progress...someone had written to the letter page of Classics when the format was really good and with this section...

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

found it

Gary

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:32 pm Post subject: Bound volumes of 1937 and 1938 books of Beano and Dandy idea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last year, I sent an e-mail to DC Thomson making a few suggestions regarding the idea of reprinted collections from their archive. I had a reply from B (Bill or Bob, sorry I can't remember) Moodie who liked my ideas but said they had no plans for any of them to be followed up. However, he inform me that serious collectors, for their own, non-copyright infringing use (i.e. not to run copies of for friends or to sell) could request photocopies of pages if they knew the issue numbers. I was suprised but delighted and after getting a quote for the cost, ordered a complete reprint of 'The Crimson Ball' that ran in 'The Dandy' in the 1960's (I had been trying to collect this strip for years without much luck). It cost me about ?40 altogether, which may seem expensive to most people but it is 64 pages, copied in colour (well, lots of crimson if you know the strip) on good quality paper, ringbound with card covers. It was a good copy job (high quality) and I thought it was an excellent service. I really can't see this strip being released as a collection in the shops like 'The Steel Claw', so for me, I thought it was well worth it. So for 'one off' strips such as this, it's still a cheaper alternative than trying to find the original issues.