Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What comics would you get in the year of your birth? 

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.

Scenario time. :shhh:

Imagine that the Doctor's TARDIS worps into your livingroom and takes you off on a fantastic adventure. Afterwards he takes you home and says his goodbyes only for you to realise that he has taken you back to the year of your birth and there is no way of getting back to your own time.

Once you have accepted your lot, you then go out and achieve the mundane (finding a place to live, a job, a fiancee, etc...) and you settle in your new life. However, you soon realise that you are missing the key element - your regular comics.

Of course, you cannot get the comics of 2014 so what comics would you get?

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:56 pm
Profile YIM

Now for me, it would be 1964.

So the comics I would get are Valiant, Lion, Eagle,
The Dandy and Commando.

There would be other comics such as TV Century 21 but they wouldn't come out until later.

Loving comics since 1969 including: Action, Battle-Action, Captain Britain, Champ, CLiNT, Cor!!, Cracker, The Crunch, The Dandy, Doctor Who Comic, Eagle, Eagle, Hotspur, Hurricane, Jet, Lion, The Magic Comic, Red Dagger, Revolver, Scream!, Smash!, Spike, Starblazer, Starlord, Strip, Thunder, Valiant, Vulcan and Warrior.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:03 pm
Profile YIM

For me, it would have been Buster, the Beano and the Dandy. (1965)

Maybe, also Valiant.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:19 pm

TV Century 21, The Beano and Buster for me plus Alan Class comics whenever I stumble across them.

I will though be spending a lot of time trawling for Golden & Silver Age US comics so that I can ensure a comfortable retirement...

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:32 pm

I should have added - I'm now in 1965 too.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:33 pm

As I would be in 1949, it would have to be story papers, particularly those with masked mystery men and thriller/s.f.serials. Beano and Dandy would be must reads. For my superhero fix, Superthriller with Ace Hart came out the year before. Sun and Comet are both up and running by this time. Of course there would also be a lot of G.G. Swan publications and how wonderful would it be to have a wallow in those? But, available in newsagents, pubs, market stalls, you could find a wealth of those American look-a-like comics that were shovelled out.
Swift Morgan, the t.v. boardman pub. and Roy Carson excited audiences back then, and still do it for me nowadays.
If you had a few bob to your name, being able to travel to nearby towns and checking newsagents and other wee shops would have been a pleasure. Treasure trove to be found, I imagine. Of interest to me is that The Phantom comics published by Frew in Australia commenced publication in 1948 and there is every chance they would have been available here - not regularly or every issue - soon after. They certainly were by the early to mid '50's. I'd be working piles of overtime to save up for all those amazing comics.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:48 pm
Fence Sitter

The Beano, Commando, Battle Action, Victor, Eagle, Roy of the Rovers and maybe War Picture Library.

Edit: Oh yeah, this would be 1984!

Last edited by felneymike on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Mr Valeera

So back to 1968 for me. Eagle, Victor, Hotspur, Hornet, Rover and Wizard, Ranger, Tiger, Valiant, Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Topper and Commando. Did I miss any?

Plus holidays at Caravan sites around the country would reward me with those Alan Class comics so beloved of caravan site shops everywhere.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:52 pm
Profile WWW

1959 for me. Undoubtedly I'd buy The Beano as it was going through arguably it's best ever period with Baxendale, Reid, Law, Watkins etc. Possibly Eagle, although I've never really been a Dan Dare fan. Not really a great year for UK comics. Film Fun and Radio Fun were on the decline. Lion and Tiger hadn't yet hit their heights. I think I'd probably be more interested in buying the Daily Mirror every day for the strips and looking out for the first US comics to be imported into the UK after the war restrictions were lifted.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:03 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmm. On retrospect, I think I would opt for The Hotspur rather than Commando. Don't get me wrong, I love the comic and would still get it in 2014. But in 1964, DCT did have other choices that I would prefer.

So final choice would be:

The Dandy
Valiant
Lion
Eagle
The Hotspur

Last edited by SID on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 pm
Profile YIM

1971 for me so i would get Beano,Dandy,buster,whizzer & chips etc,Darn it i would buy all titles plus all marvel & Dc especially the likes of spiderman & xmen in multiples & sell them in my now old age :lol:

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:06 pm

In 1968, I'd say Valiant was far and away the best British comic going. Lion revamped itself to catch up.

Marvel was going through an incredible period of course, with Silver Surfer and Captain Marvel going through the Silver to Bronze Age and the Vision first appearing, as well as great stuff from Namor, the FF etc.

Not much from DC except Neal Adams artwork. Solid from DCT but not much I'd be desperate to read. Not that I wouldn't get them but I think it took Warlord to drag DCT into the kind of writing I preferred.

comics, cartoons, music & movies

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:49 pm
Profile WWW

1978... so probably that year's run of Plug.

EDIT: Oh, and 2000 AD, of course.

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:52 pm

...and Starlord

comics, cartoons, music & movies

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

I'm sure you can guess the year. Besides the first issues of Knockout and Countdown, I’d have to get:

Amazing Spider-Man #100
Avengers #93, 94
Batman #232
Fantastic Four #112 – Hulk vs Thing
Marvel Feature 1, feat. the Defenders
Incredible Hulk #140, 141

Plus Beano and Dandy of course...

Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next