Bags & boards

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Bags & boards

Post by big bad bri »

Does anyone have any links where i can buy UK 2000ad size & buster .beano dandy,size bags & boards as the comic shops in london seem to have stopped selling them & i can only see USA size on ebay & forbidden planet etc thanks

Stingray

Re: Bags & boards

Post by Stingray »

Hi Bri.

I just typed OLD 2000AD SIZE BAGS into eBay and there are loads of them on there. I guess the Beano's will fit A4 sized bags.

Comicjohn sells all sizes from Birmingbrum, so should be able to get all the bags you need. There are other sellers as well. Noticed some with Shiver and Shakes in bags.

A

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Thanks stingray that's what i need shiver & shake size for my busters etc, i used to buy bags regularly but haven't for a few years & they are all pileing up now its gonna be an expensive few months :lol:

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I know the very frustration. I spent ages trying to find suitable UK comic sized bags. It seems all the comic shops think everything is US sized compact.

I managed to find some sealable bags by chance in a charity shop in Manchester when I bought a couple of 70s Beanos - they gave me one to put them in and I asked if anymore and they had some to spare (I paid a small donation as thanks).

It's worth asking around at comic fairs - in Manchester I was directed to a dealer called Daryll who sold me some at the next fair.

At recent fair I bought some comics some without B&B, as dealer said he ran out. I advised who to see.

As for London- when I visited 30th Century last year they did mention they sold bags & boards;don't know if they still do (could ring for some, but postage costs), but it's great when I buy from there as each comcis is already bagged & boarded.

Frustrating thing is search for boards - I recently had to but some white card to cut up from WH Smith which cost a bit - but it was all I could find. Not even office I work in can spare any card.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

DavidKW wrote:Not even office I work in can spare any card.
You could ask them for the empty boxes that the card is delivered in, David, and cut them to size. They are obviously not keen to part with card they have bought for their own purposes.

rivertonunited

Post by rivertonunited »

I can recommend a 'programme' storage website.

I will dig out the website addy, he does three different sizes of bags and boards.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm also sorting out my comics using the 2000AD bags and boards...its useful to see which comics are in good condition and maybe in the future replace with better copies..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I've decided to not go down the bag and board route...But will buy this instead..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... UTF8&psc=1

These of course fit Beano's....
But also 22 Whoopee comic size..

Just bought 10 for £30..
I have trouble with dampness in my box room...so no more plastic bags for me..
I will look through my comics and only put in my best comics...

I'll of course will need more boxes..

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Peter Gray wrote:I've decided to not go down the bag and board route...But will buy this instead..

Just bought 10 for £30..

I would need 100's of those damn things :lol: Also wouldn't fancy that metal clip pushing down on my comics. I do like the 2000ad boxes as they are perfect for the ipc whoopee sized comics but even those are hard to get in comic shops round here now.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Just found this link now just need to find new buster size & beano
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-100-X-20 ... 5ad6db5d67

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Peter Gray wrote:I've decided to not go down the bag and board route...But will buy this instead..

Just bought 10 for £30..

I use these for 6 months of SPARKYS, [per box] Peter, and they fit brilliantly---they look pretty cool on shelves as well.

Comics in bags alone is OK, but if you have a few hundred or over, they slide about all over the shop......[with the weight] Boxes like these are the best discovery I have found yet for the smaller-scale comics.

Eventually I aim to customize the boxes [they are quite hardy, even if they fell onto the floor] by printing out colour photocopied artwork, scanned and shrunk down from the actual comics..........the logos for example.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I agree Spy...it was my Mum's idea...problem with bags as you day they do slip and slide...

great you can get 6 Months of Sparky and Beano' in them...its going to work...
Also like the idea of logos...

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Do people own tatty comics...ripped pages...cut up sections coupons..drawn on..
Doesn't have to be too tatty...But they are not worth anything other than for reading...I'm wondering if to get rid of them at a charity shop...and just keep the perfect ones..will be hard to do...But from then on collect in a different way...trying to go for more better conditions..
These will be put in the boxes I'm buying..

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Peter Gray wrote:...But they are not worth anything other than for reading...
But surely, Peter, reading is what they are for. Don't worry about their condition not being perfect, as I'm sure there are no true comics enthusiasts anywhere who have such a collection. Get replacements by all means, as and when you can, and then give away those you are replacing. But until that time, just enjoy the ones you've got.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

My Mum who is kindly drying out my comics from damp.(had a leak in the bathroom!!!!)..keeps telling me to get rid of some...She said you could keep the 70's comics and get rid of the 80's one...
erm the 80's were my childhood!! Oh well she will never understand my comic collecting...still kind to help..