MY SPECIFIC COMIC ERA

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Old Forum Fella

MY SPECIFIC COMIC ERA

Post by Old Forum Fella »

I just got thinking, thanks to the 'oldest comic' question which precedes this, about comics from before my time (which don't really interest me) comics from the sixties and seventies (in which I'm very interested)and comics now (which, Marvel and a few DC apart, I have very little interest in). The comics I see in WH Smith packed in celophane with gifts usually some TV type stuff seem so juvenile. What do other people think

Originally posted by Steve on the old forum on 24/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

MY SPECIFIC COMIC ERA

Steve - at the risk of getting my head bitten off I have to agree with you, but I think you have to clarify it with the fact that today's comics are aimed, in general, at a much younger, more targeted/focused groups than in the past - a massive task in itself for todays creators I would imagine - there are some great invetive strips and artist out there (again I mention Jamie Smart, Steve Bright Lew Stringer etc)that are doing great work - but I also love picking up comics from before my time (50s to early 60s)and readign thorugh them, as I feel (persoanlly) that the strips are more fun although again some are terrible.

Originally posted by Paul McScotty on the old forum on 24/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

MY SPECIFIC COMIC ERA

Yes, most of today's comics are aimed at a younger readership than Lion, etc were. Publishers felt that the 7 to 11 year old market is no longer strong enough to support adventure comics, but the nursery market has expanded. However, titles such as Toxic, Rampage, Zap etc are aimed at the 7 to 11 age group, but their content reflects more of what kids are into now (games, movies, etc) and their strips reflect that.

If you look back, comics have been aiming at a younger market bit by bit for some time now. Fleetway's "Speed" for example was obviously "younger" in tone than Valiant. Battle Picture Weekly became more simplistic in its later years (when it included Action Force).

Going back further than that, one could argue that the stories in Tiger were far less literate than the Victorian text stories in Chips, Comic Cuts etc.

Time doesn't stand still and comics, like any other media, adapt to suit the society around them.

Originally posted by Lew Stringer on the old forum on 24/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

MY SPECIFIC COMIC ERA

Lew you sure mention Comics cut a lot......do you read it now....I know your Grandad did.

I have a Comics at war book by Denis Grifford...which shows some of this..even some samples of Magic comic.I havn't looked at detail at Victorian or Edwardian comics..Chips etc...is there anything which you like about these.

I am a big fan of Popeye of the 30's and like the early Thimble Theatre...I have several books...my email is taken from popeye (the Jeep).I also like Little Nemo and the surreal artwork. I'm yet to get the hang of Krazy Kat though good layouts and surrealness.

My era is the 80's..its my childhood!

Originally posted by Peter Gray on the old forum on 24/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

MY SPECIFIC COMIC ERA

"Lew you sure mention Comics cut a lot......do you read it now....I know your Grandad did."

No. It finished in the 1950's.

My Grandad read Illustrated Chips.

Originally posted by Lew Stringer on the old forum on 24/1/2006