Comics that have disappointed you

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SID

Comics that have disappointed you

Post by SID »

I know that this could apply to a lot of comics but has there been a comic that started with great potential only for it to fail or not meet your expectations?

For me, this would be Strip magazine. A comic that had plenty of promise but failed due to distribution problems.
Last edited by SID on 23 Aug 2014, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

starscape

Re: Comics that have disappointed you

Post by starscape »

Strip for me too. Not just the distribution though. The stories weren't as good as what I expected. I was looking for more a return to Valiant/Action/Warlord etc. Stories full of excitement and adventure that worked in short installments. Here, it was more the modern way of story telling. Overly complicated plots that need you to follow every issue (which I did) but just aren't that riveting. I mean, god's dog for goodness sake. I was so desperate for a Tom Tully/Gerry Finlay-Day style action.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

SID

Post by SID »

Agreed that not all the strips were my cuppa tea but I thought that Strip definitely had potential especially with the new King Cobra. However, it came out so erratically that it was difficult to get into.

Another mag that was cut down in its prime was Warrior.
Last edited by SID on 22 Sep 2014, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Starlord should have excelled far more than its paltry 22 issues. It was outselling 2000 ad at the time but, maybe this is crucial, it was more expensive to produce as regards paper and format. Tharg won out. But, with hindsight, I reckon that was a good thing. Had Starlord won out, we wouldn't have 2000 ad now (obviously) and Starlord would have merged with Eagle or vice versa, and the combined title would have died in the early-mid nineties. So... can't complain, can we?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Not a comic, but a strip that disappointed me:

I SPY [the character] was 'killed off' in May 1970, in an especially bleak story, and I kept soldiering on with SPARKY without my favourite character, although the paper was quite hollow without him [some other good strips, though].

5 months later, the character was declared as being in a state of comeback, and I was delighted.

On the way back from the newsagensts with issue 300, I opened SPARKY up to devour the much longed-for return of the strip as I walked home [ I done this all the time, that's how much I loved the character] however instantly my heart sank: the artwork looked alien and different: clearly, another artist was being employed as I was pretty saddened by this.

I discovered that Les Bartons' spirit of cartooning was a big part of the appeal of early I SPY and his successor Brian Walker ---a very good artist-----never really injected quite the same spirit into the stories; his style was just, different.

Today, I actually quite rate the Walker I SPY strips: they are very good in their own right and a deserved part of the characters' considerable legacy.

The Barton definitive will always have a special place in my heart, though...

aw............cute.

For a disappointing comic, it has to be HOOT. The strips and artwork were fine but the paltry 16 pages and then-high 20p price-tag was really off-putting, and I only bought the debut issue. Just poor value, end of story.

SID

Post by SID »

Another one for me was Krazy Comic. It was quirky and fun and in some ways a precursor to how humour comics were going but then got merged into Whizzer and Chips. Yes it lasted more than 22 issues but not much more.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Hmmmm, we're really talking about two completely different things here. Comics that were great but finished and comics that were terrible. Might make more sense to just have one on this thread. It's apples and oranges.
STARSCAPE Comic

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Found Jackpot a bit of a disappointment most of all for the way they done the lettering in the strips. It spoilt the comic, Lew would know the name for that type of lettering.

Bethanys grandad

Post by Bethanys grandad »

Clint nuff said

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Bethanys grandad wrote:Clint nuff said

Love it, B.G.!

I shouldn't really kick a bad comic/mag while it's down, but that was sho' a dubious 'un.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Quite enjoyed a number of the stories but the attitude of Clint just drove me away. They made it clear they didn't want anyone that read comics to read Clint (even though I'm pretty much the same age as the writer). Well done. You managed it.
STARSCAPE Comic

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I must admit that I thought the attitude of Clint appeared to be that they wanted an audience that thought lads mags were highbrow.

I liked a couple of the stories, but not enough to pay out for what was essentially a lads mag with a couple of comic stories in it.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

SID

Post by SID »

starscape wrote:Hmmmm, we're really talking about two completely different things here. Comics that were great but finished and comics that were terrible. Might make more sense to just have one on this thread. It's apples and oranges.
The original premise of this thread was to talk about comics that started off with great promise only to fail. Either because those key ingredients disappeared or the comic itself packed in/got merged with a sister publication.

Starlord is a good example (already mentioned in this thread). Some say that it started off good lost its way before being merged away. Not sure that I agree with some of that. But everyone agrees it was a great comic in the first place.

starscape

Post by starscape »

In that case then, how about the Daredevils then? Alan Moore's Captain Britain, with Frank Miller's Daredevil, finished off with Stan Lee's Spider-Man. No way that could fail surely?
STARSCAPE Comic

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:I must admit that I thought the attitude of Clint appeared to be that they wanted an audience that thought lads mags were highbrow.

I liked a couple of the stories, but not enough to pay out for what was essentially a lads mag with a couple of comic stories in it.
I enjoyed CLiNT apart from the articles on comedians etc. putting Frankie Boyle on the cover of No.1 was a big mistake, I felt.

It actually worked out cheaper to buy CLiNT for the strips than to buy the individual American editions of each strip. Later issues had even more comic strip content, especially after it's relaunch. I think the delays between issues were its main downfall. God knows how much Smiths would have penalised them for missing a schedule.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/