Remembered [ humorous] comic characters

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

Remembered [ humorous] comic characters

Post by abacus »

Here are some characters from my childhood comics that have always remained in my memory.Now these are not particularly my favourite comic strips the originality of the artwork probably being the reason they have stayed with me.

The 50s KNOCKOUT COMIC had artwork that was different from most and had a number of remembered characters
BILLY BUNTER
STONEHENGE KIT
DEED A DAY DANNY

One of my favourite comics FILM FUN also had one of my favourite strips
LAUREL AND HARDY
I didn't know untill recently that there exists a Laurel and Hardy fan magazine which occasionally features scans from the Film Fun annual.
I have not mentioned Beano and Dandy because these comics are still with us but PANSY POTTER I remember because that was the last page of the comic in the 50s.
I might add that the fat thin contrast between Laurel and Hardy is ideal for comic art in a similiar fashion to the earlier WearyWillie and Tired Tim.Athough not a comic a similiarity can be seen in Don Quixote and his companion.I have a book by Dennis Gifford COMIC ART OF CHARLIE CHAPLIN with scans of many of the of the covers of his appearances in comics and although he was a popular entertainer of his day for me the portrayal in comic strips doesn't work.