Beano book 1982 inside cover name the celebrities

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Beano book 1982 inside cover name the celebrities

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Second Base I would reckon.
A bit of a goer then.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Glam rock a bit late..

ImageImage

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Raven wrote:The blonde woman is probably Suzanne Dando, who presented the children's sports series Stopwatch on BBC1 from around early September 1981.

Photo:

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/541949 ... FPkw%3D%3D
How could we have forgotten Suzanne Dando? Excuse me while I happily reminisce about how pretty she was and still not too shabby these days either.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Was Suzanne Dando ever involved in athletic activities that will have required her to wear spikes, and can the medal be explained?

Raven

Post by Raven »

She was a sporty all-rounder in her children's TV career, trying all sorts of sporting activities in shows like Stopwatch and We Are the Champions. I think she earned a few medals and awards around 1979-1980 in both World and National championships.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:I think she earned a few medals and awards around 1979-1980 in both World and National championships.
She did, Raven, but I think they were all for gymnastics. So while it may well explain the medal, it can't explain the spikes. Is there any proof that she wore spikes in the TV programmes you mention?

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I've had a look at the Women's 4 x 400m relay team that won bronze at the Moscow Olympics in 1980 and the nearest match appears to be Donna Hartley. The resemblance is about as close as the other being Kate Bush so you may not agree but that is a GB running vest that she's wearing.

judomole

Post by judomole »

[quote="Shiner"]I've had a look at the Women's 4 x 400m relay team that won bronze at the Moscow Olympics in 1980 and the nearest match appears to be Donna Hartley. The resemblance is about as close as the other being Kate Bush so you may not agree but that is a GB running vest that she's wearing.

yes I still think it is her to
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 85244a.jpg

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Well that looks good..

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I googled female UK athletes from the 1980s and Donna Hartley looked like the answer to me as well.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

So are we settling on Kate Hartley and Donna Bush then?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I think we should seriously consider the point Kashgar made that maybe Dave Sutherland didn't do that good a job on some of the caricatures. Most are fine but Ronnie Corbett's caricature, while recognisable, doesn't really look like him. Furthermore, if the caricature of Ronnie Barker were to be taken completely out of its context here, and presented on its own, he would be even less recognisable. Perhaps, under the circumstances, Dave may well have drawn Donna Hartley looking like Sally James or Suzanne Dando.

judomole

Post by judomole »

Phoenix wrote:I think we should seriously consider the point Kashgar made that maybe Dave Sutherland didn't do that good a job on some of the caricatures. Most are fine but Ronnie Corbett's caricature, while recognisable, doesn't really look like him. Furthermore, if the caricature of Ronnie Barker were to be taken completely out of its context here, and presented on its own, he would be even less recognisable. Perhaps, under the circumstances, Dave may well have drawn Donna Hartley looking like Sally James or Suzanne Dando.

I think the Donna Hartley one is fairly close

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/arc ... 85244a.jpg

I agree about the Ronnie Barker one if you took away Ronnie Corbett

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Considering that Dave Sutherland is primarily a comic artist rather than a caricaturist, and that he'd be drawing those endpapers to a deadline, along with many other pages at the time, I think he did a fantastic job. All the caricatures are recognisable (apart from the blonde runner, but I don't follow athletics).
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

I still think that the transcience of fame is an essential factor in our bemused confusion over who the blonde athlete might be. She still looks like Sue Barker to me even though I realise that from all the other visual clues this cannot be the case. Whoever she is meant to be, be it Donna Hartley or someone else, she hasn't remained in the public consciousness long enough for us to recognise her outright from this particular caricature.
But then, in his defence, Dave Sutherland was drawing this in 1980 or thereabouts when it may well have been obvious who she was meant to be.