Name That Tune

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

DJDogfart

Name That Tune

Post by DJDogfart »

If this has been covered before, will someone please tell me.
i was thinking the other day, how many comics/comic characters had been mentioned in songs. Two that immediately spring to mind are Desparate Dan, in The Kinks 'Village Green Preservation Society' as mentioned in the Beano/Dandy merger thread, and Corpral Clott in The Damned 80's single 'History of the World part II'. oh, ive just remembered the same band did 'Grimly Feindish' too.
any more takers?
Scccrrruunnge

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Name That Tune

Post by steelclaw »

Something simular was done here a while back,

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=202

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

The Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band mention Biffo the Bear on Big Shot and Lord Snooty and his Pals on The Intro and the Outro: Both on the album Gorilla

dishes

Post by dishes »

I thought we had a longer thread about this somewhere but I can't find it. (The link steelclaw provides above is broken for me).

From Flanders and Swann's the Spider:

What a frightful looking beast -
Half an inch across at least -
It would frighten even Superman or Garth!
There's contempt it can't disguise,
In the little beady eyes,
Of the Spider sitting glowering in the bath.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

blaing

Post by blaing »

Dishes, the directory for the forum has changed. The link is...

http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=202

dishes

Post by dishes »

Thanks Bruce!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Listening to my MP3 player coming to work and best of Creation album came on. They were a 60s pop art band in the vein of the Kinks and the Who. I saw them live in the early 90s. One of their songs "Biff Bang Pow" I suppose can claim to have a comic character, a comic artist and a comic name in the title. (There was an artist who signed his work "Bang" wasn't there?). Also their single "Painter Man" mentions comic books. Eddie Phillips played the guitar with a violin bow before Jimmy Page I think. Was pleased to see a violin bow appear at the gig.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

stevezodiac wrote:Listening to my MP3 player coming to work and best of Creation album came on. They were a 60s pop art band in the vein of the Kinks and the Who. I saw them live in the early 90s. One of their songs "Biff Bang Pow" I suppose can claim to have a comic character, a comic artist and a comic name in the title. (There was an artist who signed his work "Bang" wasn't there?). Also their single "Painter Man" mentions comic books. Eddie Phillips played the guitar with a violin bow before Jimmy Page I think. Was pleased to see a violin bow appear at the gig.
Hi Steve, there certainly was an artist who signed himself 'Bang'. This was Edgar 'Harry' Banger who was responsible for drawing 'Koko the Pup' in the 'Magic' comic. (Not that he got to sign this D C Thomson strip of course). Interestingly though he didn't actually pronounce his surname as it is written. Instead he pronounced it Bainjer. Still, I suppose if he'd sign his work 'Bainj' it wouldn't have had quite the same memorable effect.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes Kashgar, that's the bloke - Harry Banger, rhymes with danger - and a lot of his work was for Gerald G Swan titles. Coloured Slick Fun cover featured Stoogie, later Super Stooge, drawn by HB and signed "by Bang"

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Shades of Hyacinth Bucket there.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

For a more American flavour, there's Jimmy Olsen's Blues by the Spin Doctors, from their album Pocketful of Kryptonite. Or more obscurely, Alley Oop by The Hollywood Argyles, itself referenced in David Bowie's Life on Mars (Look at that caveman go!).
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

As Marionette has added an American flavour, I can add Donovan's Sunshine Superman, which has some comic mentions incl. Green Lantern. Also Sergeant Rock by XTC. British artists naming American heroes. The Kinks have one mentioning Captain America. Not quite the same thing but the John Mayall's Bluesbreakers LP cover has Clapton reading the Beano:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diz2012/4493627910/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My Name Is Jack also mentions Superman.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

"Green Lantern" by Camberwell Now is the Green Lantern oath set to music. "Cry Baby Cry" by the Beatles owes a little bit to Treasure Tales Of Princess Marigold Land, and Captain Marvel features in "Bungalow Bill". And Sergeant Pepper was a character in an early Rob Riley strip.

dishes

Post by dishes »

She looks like the Sunday comics
She thinks she's Brenda Starr

- Blondie, Rip Her To Shreds