YOUR GOLDEN ERA

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

SimonD

Re: YOUR GOLDEN ERA

Post by SimonD »

Old Forum Fella wrote:Oddly enough I went to art college in Manchester with John Donnelly's son (also called John) during the 1970s. Afraid I don't know what happened to the father but I remember that John Jr. had actually drawn for the original Lion while he was still a schoolboy! (...needless to say I was green with envy). He eventually went on to work in advertising.

Originally posted by Phil Rushton on the old forum on 29/1/2006
Hi Phil

My name is Simon Donnelly, John Donnelly's youngest son, sadly Dad passed away in 2005. My brother John has now semi-retired from an amazing and very successful time in advertising and remembers you. By the way, Dad also worked in advertising prior to freelancing full time as an illustrator. I'll try and post some more original Moony From The Moon artwork I have found. I've been looking through lots of comics Dad did work for. Can't believe how much he did! Kind regards Simon

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Hi Simon! It's great to hear from you - please give my regards to your brother. Is he still the world's No.1 Jack Kirby fan? :)

SimonD

Post by SimonD »

Old Forum Fella wrote:Lew,being a comics artist yourself,would you know where I could get hold of John Donnelly for a possible interview.He illustrated the centre pages for Toby comic in the 70's.I run a tribute site to that particular comic and can find no info on same on the net.

Originally posted by Captain Storm on the old forum on 28/1/2006
Hi Captain

I'm afraid Dad died back in 2005. I think your talking about Pixie Bumpkin on Clodhopper Farm if I'm not mistaken?! I remember him using his Windsor & Newton paints on that! Great memories! :) Simon Donnelly