Tiny Tots 1957/58/59; who?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

wigwam

Tiny Tots 1957/58/59; who?

Post by wigwam »

Hi all,

Which lucky collector on this forum owns a (nearly) complete run of the nursery comic Tiny Tots from October 1957, No. 1267, until its demise in February 1959, No. 1334?

For an article I'm working on (the origin of Gulliver Guinea-pig) I am in need of some facts and figures.
When the comic was revamped in October 1957, a new series was launched on the centre-pages: The New Nursery Rhymes. First instalment was a story written by Playhour's assistant editor David Roberts, with artwork by Ron Embleton. Tiny Tots for 17 May 1958, No. 1298, saw the publication of what I now believe is the first story ever printed of Gulliver Guinea-pig's adventures, written by Roberts and illustrated by the versatile Phillip Mendoza. See upper scan. A week later the Travels, as they were now called, of this unlikely but very likeable hero continued in Playhour. Again written by Roberts and illustrated by Mendoza. See lower scan.
Now I would like to know if there were other stories in Tiny Tots starring Gulliver before or after this instalment. Or was it a one-off? Unfortunately, I do not own a complete run of Tiny Tots' final years. A list of all the stories on the centre-pages from October 1957 to February 1959 would be most welcome.
I know there is an illustrated three-page story in the Tiny Tots annual for 1959 (published September 1958). Phil Rushton uploaded the scans elsewhere on the forum.

The finished article will be published on Irmantas' Kazoop blogspot.
I hope someone is able to help.

Regards from The Netherlands,

John
Attachments
GGp-TT1298(crop).jpg
GGp-PH189 (crop).jpg
Last edited by wigwam on 15 Dec 2017, 22:43, edited 3 times in total.

stevezodiac

Re: Tiny Tots 1957/58/59; who?

Post by stevezodiac »

Sadly my copies of Tiny Tots are buried among my stuff in storage and practically impossible to unearth. Sorry I can't help. I have never checklisted them so can't say what era they are.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I can't help either, I'm afraid. I would help if I could but I don't have a great deal anyway that isn't from DC Thomsons, and of their nursery titles, Pepper Street, Bimbo, Twinkle, and Lucky Star, I just have a handful as examples, two or three of each title at best. Sorry.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I picked up quite a few Tiny Tots from Ken Graham a few years ago. Disbound copies so in excellent condition albeit trimmed.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I only have two or three issues of the later Tiny Tots run, but if I can find them I'll let you know whether any include Gulliver. Incidentally, I've just seen that the estimable Steve Holland intends to include David Roberts in the second volume of his 'Forgotten Authors' collection, so that should be worth watching out for.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:I've just seen that the estimable Steve Holland intends to include David Roberts in the second volume of his 'Forgotten Authors' collection, so that should be worth watching out for.
I've never heard of these, Phil. What are they exactly?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

You can read more details in Steve's latest post on his 'Bear Alley' blog.
https://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/

...Alternatively you can order Volume One (Kindle or Print) here:
http://bearalleybooks.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... ume-1.html