Hal Starr

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Hal Starr

Post by colcool007 »

Here is a request for help from John Freeman as he is trying to help John Ridgway in his quest to colour up a large portion of Sydney Jordan's art for a project that he is undertaking.
John Freeman wrote:Can anyone help artist John Ridgway? He's trying to track down a print copy (or scans) of this early "Hal Starr" strip by Syd Jordan - but neither of us have information on where it appeared. So it's a bit of a treasure hunt! Can anyone help?
Hal Starr.jpg
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Re: Hal Starr

Post by Digifiend »

Strange Worlds issue 10, Atlas Publishing. You got lucky, it's the only issue Comic Vine had the cover for, and it happens to mention the Planet Eng story title.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/hal-starr ... 00-450034/

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Hal Starr was reprinted in the Dutch comic, EPPO, 1988? I don't have any examples of it, either physical or digital and, oddly, on the usual suspect sites for digital comics, the ones with the HS strip are not available.
And that example posted by Digifiend is an Australian comic. I think an Atlas reprint title. Again, I can't find issues of it in either format. Sorry.
This page has some info. 4th item down and it takes an age to load. There are a couple of other covers as well:-
http://ausreprints.net/content/main/?gr ... &pg=6#3757

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Whoops - saw the 9d price on the cover and assumed it was British. Didn't realise they used £sd like we did back then. Sorry.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Easily done Digifiend. Australia used £sd till they went to a metric currency in 1966, I think. Australian comics turned up in the UK in the '50's and '60's, not only The Phantom. It's often a tell-tale when you see the 9d price on a comic. When you do, have a look at the indicia.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Or if there isn't any indicia visible you can often go by the adverts - they usually give an address in Sydney or somewhere.

blaing

Post by blaing »

paw broon wrote:Easily done Digifiend. Australia used £sd till they went to a metric currency in 1966, I think..
That is correct, Paw. Australia went into decimal currency on St. Valentines Day, 1966, a little over 50 years ago.

SID

Post by SID »

Hal has also been reprinted in Dan Dare's Spaceship Away. Good strip.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).