The Beatles Story

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Cat Simon

The Beatles Story

Post by Cat Simon »

A bit of an odd one, but does anyone remember reading a comic-strip story of The Beatles in a girls annual?
To try and narrow it down, I read this Xmas '76 (I was on holiday in Newcastle at the time), so I think it would have been printed in a girls annual dated possibly from '69 to '76. I think it might have been a DC Thompson annual.
It has a significant factor for me as The Beatles are my musical passion, and I think this was the first thing I ever read about them. (I would've been 7 at the time)
Any ideas anyone?

Digifiend

Re: The Beatles Story

Post by Digifiend »

http://johnslookout.150m.com/beatchron1.htm
You got the years right, so that's probably not what's being asked about here.

EDIT: Odd, the post above this must've been deleted while I was typing, it mentioned a story in Look-In 1981-2.

Raven

Post by Raven »

If it was a few years later (early 80s) I'd have said it sounds like the 'Story of The Beatles' comic strip from Look-In, partially reprinted in the Look-In Pop Annual.

Maybe it was from one of those 'Pop Group'/'Popswop'/'Fab 208' type annuals of the time? To help date it, do you recall if the strip was looking at the group from a historical perspective, or did it portray them as still being an existing group - and did they look like early moptop Beatles or later period long haired Beatles in it?
Last edited by Raven on 10 Oct 2010, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Digifiend wrote:
EDIT: Odd, the post above this must've been deleted while I was typing, it mentioned a story in Look-In 1981-2.

That was mine - you got in there quickly just before I re-edited my post (re-edited version now above).

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

'Judy' used to do celebrity stories of this type in the annuals during the 1970s.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

If you can pinpoint some of the events that happened in the story, Cat, that might narrow it down a bit..there was probably a fair bit of this type of comic thing done on this group.

Cat Simon

Post by Cat Simon »

Yeah, it looks like my original reply got deleted somehow!
I know it defenently wasn't the Look-In strip, as I remember that at the time (81-82).
As The Beatles split in April '70, I've got a feeling it could be an annual from '71 to '77.
The only part I remember is Paul McCartney as a child struggling to play a gutair as he was left-handed, and Ringo spending his childhood in hospital, and I'm sure the story finished with them splitting-up.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

I don't know if you're aware Cat, but original artwork from the Look-in 'Beatles Story' strip is up for sale:

http://www.bookpalace.com/cgi-bin/sh000 ... nsonBeat01

NP

Post by NP »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:If you can pinpoint some of the events that happened in the story...
Like; Born, grew up, played in Hamburg, the Cavern, Please Please Me, Beatlemania, Palladium, Number one singles, number one albums, Royal Variety Show, Ed Sullivan show, A Hard Day's Night, American Tours in stadiums, Help!, MBEs, Pot, LSD, Revolver, the Phillipines, 'Bigger than Jesus', end of touring, Strawberry fields, Sgt Pepper, Apple, India, Yoko, Get Back, Let it Be, Abbey Road and split up you mean? :wink: Isn't EVERY version of the Beatles story pretty much like that?!
(I'm exhausted just TYPING that! How they did it all is a miracle!)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

NP wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:If you can pinpoint some of the events that happened in the story...
Like; Born, grew up, played in Hamburg, the Cavern, Please Please Me, Beatlemania, Palladium, Number one singles, number one albums, Royal Variety Show, Ed Sullivan show, A Hard Day's Night, American Tours in stadiums, Help!, MBEs, Pot, LSD, Revolver, the Phillipines, 'Bigger than Jesus', end of touring, Strawberry fields, Sgt Pepper, Apple, India, Yoko, Get Back, Let it Be, Abbey Road and split up you mean? :wink: Isn't EVERY version of the Beatles story pretty much like that?!
(I'm exhausted just TYPING that! How they did it all is a miracle!)
...You forgot the bit about co-starring in Strange Tales no.130!

- Phil Rushton :)

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Here's a Beatle strip, US Comic from the 1970s

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogsp ... -post.html

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Cat do you have any of the bootleg Alternate Beatles albums. I think I have all of their studio albums in alternate form made up of different takes of each song. I got them from Greenwich Market over the past few years - here are a few examples:

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Perhaps it was a reprint of the 1964 Jackie strip drawn by Brian Delaney. This page is featured in Paul Gravett's Great British Comics:

- Phil Rushton

Cat Simon

Post by Cat Simon »

Thank-you all for your responses.
I've tried trawling through t'net, and I'm now of the opinion that the nearest is probably what philcom55 posted.
Also, stevezodiac, are those bootleg cds readily available in London, mainly Camden? I don't get to the UK that often, and wouldn't mind getting a couple next time I'm in London. :bullseye:

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I got them from a record stall in Greenwich market but they have since relocated to a shop in nearby Creek Road. I also have alternative All Things Must Pass album. I've never been to Camden (its north of the Thames for crying out loud) so can't say what wares they have in that burg.