Thoughts on collecting comics

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

jamesjohnson5551

Re: Thoughts on collecting comics

Post by jamesjohnson5551 »

Nice post. Thank you so much for sharing

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

babington wrote:There has been some talk recently of US collectors getting interested in UK reprints of Marvel/DC material - once they've collected all the American issues, that's the next place to go. Some characters like Captain Britain were only published in Marvel UK issues. If this trend really does happen, then some UK comics could become very expensive!
The black and white reprints of Kirby's strips in Fantastic do look better than the smudgy coloured U.S. originals, now I've been able to compare them. So there's one good reason to seek out British reprints.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There is also the novelty that in wham, smash and pow the strips were reformatted to fit their larger size. And my mate Steve told me that in tv21 series 2 some of the Peter Parker faces were redrawn.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

stevezodiac wrote:There is also the novelty that in wham, smash and pow the strips were reformatted to fit their larger size. And my mate Steve told me that in tv21 series 2 some of the Peter Parker faces were redrawn.
Steve, those reprints in TV21 were also re-written in some cases with a completely different slant on the stories, as well as being reformatted. See here:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2008/ ... art-3.html

You're right, Sue. The ones in Fantastic (and also in Terrific) are the better reprints. Although there are some editorial changes to the American spelling, phrases, and cultural references to make the dialogue more English.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

The Doctor Strange story- featuring the `Living Tribunal` and `Nebulos` is very much edited! great swathes involving `Yandroth` cut out and dialogue heavily altered (not for US phrases) but to keep in with the drastic changes to storyline!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

alanultron5 wrote:The Doctor Strange story- featuring the `Living Tribunal` and `Nebulos` is very much edited! great swathes involving `Yandroth` cut out and dialogue heavily altered (not for US phrases) but to keep in with the drastic changes to storyline!
Good point, Alan. I'd forgotten that. Yes, I think they edited it so they could wrap up the story ahead of Fantastic ending.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

babington wrote:There has been some talk recently of US collectors getting interested in UK reprints of Marvel/DC material - once they've collected all the American issues, that's the next place to go. Some characters like Captain Britain were only published in Marvel UK issues. If this trend really does happen, then some UK comics could become very expensive!
That's 100% correct. I've just sold over £800 worth of 70s Marvel comics and Power Comics with gifts last week to a guy in the States and he's desperately after my Pow! set with their gifts on a "name your price" basis but they're not going anywhere! He actually works at the CGC and says that the UK comics with Marvel characters in are the most in demand. I think they see them almost as variants.

They love the free gifts as the US comics very rarely offered anything similar.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Incidentally, that Dr. Strange story is the only example I can remember where something was printed in Fantastic before the original American episodes (in Strange Tales) arrived in the UK!

abacus

Post by abacus »

I bought a Charlton comic today and when I got home I was annoyed with myself because I realised I had bought a comic I already had.I searched and found the original comic that I had bought and luckily apart from one story in them the rest of the stories in them are different .Whew!Collecting can be confusing (see pic)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I have that Haunted Love. Cover by F. Nieta I think.

abacus

Post by abacus »

One of my favourite places for comic searches is the carboot sales,within 4/5 miles where I live there are 5 sunday carboots ,these are well organised the smallest one free and the rest 50p entrance fee.All have food and toilet facilities. A particular one I like has a loudspeaker system where music is played and they have a large chalk blackboard where you can write what you are looking for and the announcer will break into the music from time to time and ask stallholders if they have that item.Only drawback with this carboot is that the rest of the week the field is used for sheep and so you sometimes have to be careful where you are stepping :)

When I am on holiday in GT YARMOUTH there are plenty of carboot sales in the area these are free entrance.

! don,t know when carboot sales started but I remember as a child occasionally some kid would set up a table outside of their house and sell toys etc,

There is one carboot I go to in the area which has one field for stalls and selling and another field for free car parking.For some odd reason a number of people choose to park at the side of the road outside the carboot and each sunday we see traffic wardens walking along giving out tickets,that can make it an expensive day for some buyers :) even though in the carboot newspaper advert it warns them not to park at the side of the road.

abacus

Post by abacus »

As with most collectors of comics and annuals (I am guessing there are other collectors out there :P )I prefer items in near mint condition.
Pages coloured in , crosswords filled in , inscriptions , clipped corner prices and torn binding are all off putting when it comes to buying items.
However speaking for myself I do make the occasional exception.The item pictured is in poor condition with only 34 of its 96 pages intact and worthless and yet I paid a few pence for it because to me it has a rarity value.
Printed and published by ROBERT EDWARDS (london) LTD it is in the Swan publishing tradition with what I would call lesser known comic characters.It has a thin carboard cover and since the comic stories are complete on each page ,missing pages have little effect on the entertainment value.
Image]Image
Last edited by abacus on 28 Jun 2016, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

nice drawings in those strips.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Abacus, that's a nice find and looks very much like a Swan book. Those 2 pages would fit perfectly in a Swan annual. Any idea of the publication date?

abacus

Post by abacus »

="paw broon"]Abacus, that's a nice find and looks very much like a Swan book. Those 2 pages would fit perfectly in a Swan annual. Any idea of the publication date?
As stated this is a part book with a number of pages missing, it does contain the first page with the ROBERT EDWARDS publisher info.I did type this printer and publisher in an internet search before posting because I was interested in working out an approximate date for myself but came up with no result.
I mentioned that the book was the same format as a Swan publication with a very thin cardboard cover , the only other assistance in trying to give a date is the 2/6 price tag which to me would probably point to the late 40's early 50's.
Last edited by abacus on 17 Feb 2017, 11:34, edited 58 times in total.