TV Comic - first Sooty appearance?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

koollectablz

TV Comic - first Sooty appearance?

Post by koollectablz »

Does anyone know when Sooty first appeared in TV Comic?

The actual issue number and date? I know when he started on the cover, but he'd been inside on and off for a while before.

Digifiend

Re: TV Comic - first Sooty appearance?

Post by Digifiend »

Issue 124 advertises "Sooty & Mr Turnip on page 3" on the cover, so it's in or before that issue.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Cheers! That sounds like he was in it before then...

I do like the artwork on the early Sootys, actually looks like him!

Raven

Post by Raven »

By Morph's chum Tony Hart, aren't they?

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Indeedy!

Amazing how long Sooty has been going, not bad for a glove puppet with a water pistol...

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

I used to read TV Comic, it was my favourite for a long time, I had it delivered. But I don't recall Sooty being in it at all. What's the date on that issue, Digi? I suspect it's after I stopped reading it (which I'd say was near the end of the 70s)

I stopped reading TV Comic soon after it became the Mighty TV Comic, doubling up in size but to no great effect, and using reprints:-- that was the killer blow for me, made me feel I must've been reading it too long if I was recognising strips I'd read before. Thinking I must be too old, I reluctantly gave up comics at that point.

...And moved on to Mad magazine! :)

Raven

Post by Raven »

Ginger wrote:I used to read TV Comic, it was my favourite for a long time, I had it delivered. But I don't recall Sooty being in it at all. What's the date on that issue, Digi? I suspect it's after I stopped reading it (which I'd say was near the end of the 70s)

Sooty was in TV Comic in the 1950s.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Ha! Before my time. That was my other theory!
I'd forgotten TV Comic had been going that long, to be honest.

Thanks, Raven.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Sooty also made early appearances in some Whirligig annuals (as did Hank and Mr. Turnip).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Raven wrote:Sooty was in TV Comic in the 1950s.
He was also a regular on TV itself. Younger members will find it difficult to believe but at that time there was only one channel available, that being BBC. After watching the 1953 Cup Final on a 12'' screen at my uncle Reg's house in Chorley my parents rented a television principally so that my mother could watch the coronation. Personally I was delighted to be able to watch the test matches against Australia. At the time the shops' technicians would come to the house, set up and tune your TV of choice, and then leave it with you while you got used to it, but in those early days they would allow you to change it for a different one several times so that you could make up your mind carefully which model you wanted to buy or rent. The technicians would mainly come out in the mornings because then the programme was the same every day. You could watch Randolph Turpin knocking out Tiberio Mitri every morning if that's what floated your boat. To be fair, there were lots of different items for the technicians to use, including a panel known as Test Card C.

We watched pretty well everything on offer at first, but it was just the novelty factor at work. The soaps were The Appleyards and The Grove Family, whose matriarch, Grandma Grove, was forever saying ''I'm faint for lack of nourishment.'' I'm not sure whether The Grove Family spawned any spinoffs or not but there were two novels about The Appleyards written by David Edwards in 1955 and 1956 respectively. The author was a cast member, playing John Appleyard.
Attachments
Appleyards.jpg
Appleyards2.jpg

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ginger wrote:I used to read TV Comic, it was my favourite for a long time, I had it delivered. But I don't recall Sooty being in it at all. What's the date on that issue, Digi? I suspect it's after I stopped reading it (which I'd say was near the end of the 70s)
March 1954 - I can't make out the exact date - Comic Vine could use a better scan.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/tv-comic-124/4000-171443/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's a Sooty strip from TV Comic #108, so he goes back to 1953 at least.
Attachments
00003.jpg

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Cheers! That's most helpful!

jamesjohnson5551

Post by jamesjohnson5551 »

Hi, superb thread...