What's the most you've spent on a comic/collection?

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Re: What's the most you've spent on a comic/collection?

Post by Adam Eterno »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:5000 quid would not last all that long in the pub these days, so it is money well spent on the Sparkys, Alan.
You sound like my kind of drinking buddy ISPY!

yes Adam I am disgusted at the price of drink in the pubs these days: even posh Times Square in New York was cheaper than here.......

collecting comics is probably a better bet!
I'm still trying to work out a way to enjoy both at the same time! A Comic pub??

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Please excuse my maths folks- my brain hadn't woke up when I typed that and the extra zero :o :) :roll: got away from me!
A Face unclouded by thought.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Adam Eterno wrote:A Comic pub??
Now there's an idea! :)

On a related note, I wonder if any pubs have ever been NAMED after a comic or comic strip character...?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A comic-themed pub seems like a winning idea to me---and a good example of how ideas can come about just through people adding in spontaneous comments in threads like these.

Obviously such a place would be plastered with iconic graphics on all the walls: maybe even proper murals done by proper artists, and not just a few vintage framed comics up on the walls.

A life-sized Andy Capp dummy propping up one end of the bar.

The bar staff all dressed up like specific characters: Teacher from the Bash Street kids, barmaids as Beryl the Peril, etc---Judge Dredd a bit too cumbersome here.

Theme nights of punters coming along all dressed as now- obscure UK comic characters: an opportunity to dress up as Gus Gorilla or the Cloak: and not just the obvious suspects like Dennis, Dan or Bananaman.

This sounds intruiging with great novelty value, and would doubtless generate a lot of media publicity, however the old chestnut about 'copyright infringement' rears it's ugly head to put the dampeners on the proceedings as per usual.

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

I remember the Intrepid Fox pub in Wardour Street (London) used to have a comic book heroines theme (Tank Girl and the likes) even though some of the artworks were already partly faded... I have never seen one named after a comic strip character. A character like Andy Capp would make a good name for a pub :) but I don't know how the copyright/trademark considerations would apply.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I do remember DCT excercizing the power to shut down a restaurant called 'Desperate Dans' in central Edinburgh, back in the 80s.

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I do remember DCT excercizing the power to shut down a restaurant called 'Desperate Dans' in central Edinburgh, back in the 80s.
I am not surprised... strangely enough, there seems to be a Desperate Dan's restaurant in Tenerife :shock:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... lands.html

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: This sounds intruiging with great novelty value, and would doubtless generate a lot of media publicity, however the old chestnut about 'copyright infringement' rears it's ugly head to put the dampeners on the proceedings as per usual.
I'm surprised a creative is so dismissive of copyright protection. Copyright law is there to protect the independent creator as much as it protects companies, Rab. Would it be "rearing its ugly head" if it was protecting your Baby Boomer characters from being used without your permission for monetary gain?

While a theme pub based on comics characters would need permission from the copyright owners, there's nothing to stop customers turning up at any bar in fancy dress. Sounds like the bar at any comics convention! :lol:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Foreigners in Dundee was a great pub that had a great link to comics. The landlord was friends with Messers Kettle and Christine and had original pages from Caveman Ugg from a certain gentlemen's magazine placed around the pub.

You could always spot a new regular as he would have a pint in hand as he worked his way around the pub!

There were also one pagers from Randy decorating the pub walls too.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

fair points, Lew:

I'm just glad you've described me as a 'creative!'

Anyone on here fancy arriving at a theme pub dressed like my Veronica character?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I spent £115 on the first issue of buster earlier this year i would not do that again unless maybe iss 1 whizzer and chips as i suffered for weeks as im not working.

blaing

Post by blaing »

The most I had spent on a single issue was the Christmas 1970 issue of Sparky (£72), but as it turned out, I needed a better copy. (i think I ended up paying £10 for the better issue)

I wouldn't like to work out on what I spent on my Sparky collection, though.

starscape

Post by starscape »

It'd be original art for me. £300 a piece has been known. I would say they have at least held, probably increased, in value.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies