DC Thomson - `Fun` title free gifts - the 70s.

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Hen Broon

Re: DC Thomson - `Fun` title free gifts - the 70s.

Post by Hen Broon »

Plug Comic Free Gifts 1978
Attachments
Plug  #19 & #20  -  1978.JPG
Plug Comic  #20  -  1978.JPG

Hen Broon

Post by Hen Broon »

Dandy Comic Free Gift #1976 & #1977 comic - 1979
Attachments
Dandy  #1976 & #1977 Comic  -  1979.JPG

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Many thanks Hen! These pictures of the gifts have really brought the thread to life - cheers! :cheers: :) :D
A Face unclouded by thought.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

alanultron5 wrote:Rightyho! and from now (1977 - 79_, only Dandy and Beano gave gifts (Unless I got it wrong!) Seems 1976 was `Fun titles` gift free but I would have thought Beezer might have given some when it `swallowed up` Cracker in Aug 76 - but the newly conjoined titles did not give gifts! Is that a first Ray?!
Not a first Alan. Thomsons had done the same thing the year before with the amalgamation of Topper and Buzz and in comics history there had been a number of occasions when this has happened. For example the AP's pogrom of its' old comic titles in 1953 saw a number of mergers that did not coincide with any free gift giving.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Kashgar wrote:
alanultron5 wrote:Rightyho! and from now (1977 - 79_, only Dandy and Beano gave gifts (Unless I got it wrong!) Seems 1976 was `Fun titles` gift free but I would have thought Beezer might have given some when it `swallowed up` Cracker in Aug 76 - but the newly conjoined titles did not give gifts! Is that a first Ray?!
Not a first Alan. Thomsons had done the same thing the year before with the amalgamation of Topper and Buzz and in comics history there had been a number of occasions when this has happened. For example the AP's pogrom of its' old comic titles in 1953 saw a number of mergers that did not coincide with any free gift giving.
Likewise, there were no free gifts in 1969 when IPC merged Lion and Eagle, and Tiger and Jag, and when City merged TV21 and Joe 90. I suppose the mergers themselves would boost sales without the need for gifts.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

The joining of Hotspur and Crunch in 1980 did not provide any, nor did the swallowing of Wizard by the Victor in 1978 produce a plethora of freebies. And the last merger on the D C Thomson's boys papers of Victor and Warlord produced nothing either.

In my mind, the mergers would provide you with new stories, but rarely free gifts, but you would get some interesting competition prizes sometimes.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thanks for that Data - Ray; Lew, Col. So Beezer & Cracker certainly not unique at all in that sense!
A Face unclouded by thought.