Rebellion acquire Egmont's archive of strips and characters

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

big bad bri

Re: Rebellion acquire Egmont's archive of strips and charact

Post by big bad bri »

you just beat me to it lew :lol: hopefully exciting times are ahead anw we will get those long sought after reprints of oink battle whoopee etc or dare i say it new monthly reprints comics or a new weekly featuring classic characters
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox ... e-37177877

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

This is DEFINITELY exciting :D

An affordable Hookjaw collection, "The Collected Oink" (probably titled The Whole Hog?), all that sort of stuff... Maybe even a "new" Big Comic Annual?
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Just saw it myself too! delighted that girls comics are included in the haul, of course :-)
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Interesting to hear that the deal supposedly includes "comics aimed at girls like Misty and Sally" - especially as Sally was launched in 1969. :?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

With any luck - and according to what's reported on the BBC site - we might see new versions of old comics, or new compilations, on the shelves once again.
But bear in mind that a lot of the pre-1970 originals for many weeklies were chucked, or at least "disappeared" ,and just don't exist any more, so were Rebellion to gain access to pre-'76 material, in some cases they'd have to make do with re-scanning existing hard copies of comics or use the multitude of scanned material that exists. Much like the BBC are currently doing with off-air, amateur recordings.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

paw broon, Rebellion had to do exactly that scanning and clean-up to produce their Misty reprint that's due out in Sept. So it won't put them off - but it clearly is going to add to the time and cost.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

philcom55 wrote:Interesting to hear that the deal supposedly includes "comics aimed at girls like Misty and Sally" - especially as Sally was launched in 1969. :?
Perhaps they meant Sandie. I don't think the Beeb puts comics experts onto this sort of story - it came out as a local news item for Oxfordshire :)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

paw broon wrote:With any luck - and according to what's reported on the BBC site - we might see new versions of old comics, or new compilations, on the shelves once again.
But bear in mind that a lot of the pre-1970 originals for many weeklies were chucked, or at least "disappeared" ,and just don't exist any more, so were Rebellion to gain access to pre-'76 material, in some cases they'd have to make do with re-scanning existing hard copies of comics or use the multitude of scanned material that exists. Much like the BBC are currently doing with off-air, amateur recordings.

The pre-1970 material is still owned by Time Inc, so unless Rebellion do another deal with them, it won't happen. The current deal is with Egmont, for acquisition of post-1970 material.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:This is DEFINITELY exciting :D

An affordable Hookjaw collection, "The Collected Oink" (probably titled The Whole Hog?), all that sort of stuff... Maybe even a "new" Big Comic Annual?
I wouldn't think that Oink! is part of the deal, as the rights issue isn't straightforward.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wasn't a lot of Oink's material creator owned? They should own the name at least though.

I wonder if they'll try to revive/reboot Roy of the Rovers? Would be an easy one to market to an older audience like they do 2000AD. As for the humour material, I wonder if it would be worth them trying to do what DC Thomson does with The Dandy - an all-reprint Buster Summer Special?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

whatever happens its gonna be great seeing those titles again in reprint or whatever form again
as im still disapointed the reprint whizzer and chips annual from a few years ago never led to anything and i never saw them annuals in any sainsburys i visited in london so still haven't got them.

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

big bad bri wrote:whatever happens its gonna be great seeing those titles again in reprint or whatever form again
as im still disapointed the reprint whizzer and chips annual from a few years ago never led to anything and i never saw them annuals in any sainsburys i visited in london so still haven't got them.
big bad bri wrote:whatever happens its gonna be great seeing those titles again in reprint or whatever form again

wilsia

Post by wilsia »

Sorry guys don't know what happened there, I wanted to say that it was a great nostalgia feel a few years ago when I picked up the Whizzer and Chip, Battle etc annuals from Sainsbury,s so hear that Rebellion now have the rights is great news. They are hardly going to invest in ownership rights without plans to do something with them. My only worry and I don't want to be negative but I hope they do print and not just e books.
I just don't do e books. Would love to see Colquhuon's Kid Chameleon from Cor comic in print or Charlie Peace but heck will settle for anything

babington

Post by babington »

Do Egmont own the rights to Sweeny Toddler? Dredd and Toddler have crossed over before, of course (see below), but now they could have a proper showdown!
Whoopee-1985.jpg