Motorcycle madness

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Re: Motorcycle madness

Post by paw broon »

Can't help with wall of death illos but that Young Marvelman cover is intriguing me. Don't understand why the note is there about re-edited in England. While Marvelman was translated for Italy, Spain, Brazil - and perhaps other countries - they were reprints. And this issue is too early yo be a reprint of earlier issues as happened towards the end of the run. I don't have this, or enough, examples of YM to check.
Unless this issue is an old Cap Marvel Jr. story, redrawn and re-edited to fill a gap in production. A bit naughty if that's the case. Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

matrix

Post by matrix »

Phoenix wrote, on 'what comics did you buy today': Here is the front cover of issue 1 of the 1922 version. The rear cover has gone walkabout but, as I don't collect The Champion, it doesn't really matter. A few years back I bought a run from that first issue as far as the last issue of 1926 from Billy Nicholls, a friend of mine who lives in the Wirral.

Phoenix do you still have those Champion? I was wondering if you do could you please have a look at the covers to see if a motorcycle appeared on one? The earliest I have is number 387 dated 29/6/29 'Speedsters of the dirt track' which is possibly the first Speedway story in Champion? There could be an ordinary motorcycle story in your copies? Thank you, no hurry!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

This question may well be unnecessary, matrix, but on the offchance that it isn't, do you have the set of Motor Bike cards that were given to readers of Adventure in 1929? This free gift consisted of 24 cards, each featuring a motor bike. The cards were given away in batches of six over four weeks between 412 (Sep. 21 1929) and 415 (Oct. 12 1929). If you haven't heard of them I'll post a scan of a couple to let you see what they were like.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Phoenix wrote:This question may well be unnecessary, matrix, but on the offchance that it isn't, do you have the set of Motor Bike cards that were given to readers of Adventure in 1929? This free gift consisted of 24 cards, each featuring a motor bike. The cards were given away in batches of six over four weeks between 412 (Sep. 21 1929) and 415 (Oct. 12 1929). If you haven't heard of them I'll post a scan of a couple to let you see what they were like.
Yes please Phoenix that would be good to see those.

matrix

Post by matrix »

In 1978 Byblos productions put out a title called 'Wheels', mostly motorcycle stories. It ran for two issues plus the preview issue scanned below.

A character called 'Jack Justice' was the main story in all the comics, having run for three issues you can tell it was a popular! So not expecting a lot of interest in it but it is what it is part of comic history, at least they tried!
One good thing with not much interest in them you can pick them up in mint condition which suits me!
Attachments
Wheels1.jpg
Wheels0.jpg

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Hi Matrix,

I. Also collect Wheels but I'm not clear how long is lasted - any ideas?
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

matrix

Post by matrix »

Richard S. wrote:Hi Matrix,

I. Also collect Wheels but I'm not clear how long is lasted - any ideas?
Hi Richard

As far as I know there were only the two numbered issues no1 and no2 plus the preview, so as it was bi-monthly probably no longer than ten weeks.

Do you think Jack Justice is original or reprinted? They were printed in Italy.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

There were more issues than that (I'm away from my collection at the moment so can't confirm a number, but will Do so later)

matrix

Post by matrix »

Ok thanks. I got the info from the uk comic price guide which are usually onto it.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

ok, so there's
a). the preview issue
b). #1 (dated October/November)
c). #2 (dated Dec 78 / jan 79)
d). Feb/Mar [undated]
e). April/May [undated]
f). June/July [undated]
g). August/September [undated]
h). October/November [undated]

In fact the quality of the last issue I have (which may or may not be THE last issue) is the best in terms of quality.

Happy hunting!

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks Richard. I have never seen those other issues, I thought there were only the three so had not been looking. I have had mine for a couple of years and got them out the other day when in the mood for a post!

matrix

Post by matrix »

Another nice 'Wall of death' cover this time from 'Valiant' 1975.
Attachments
s.l1600.val.wall.jpg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Whilst browsing Ebay I saw this and remembered this thread in case you're interested. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Champion ... SwI8laLX21

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I've just checked my bound volume of The Champion for 1947 for motorcycle front covers. There are six of them. All of them relate to the serial Double Of The Mystery Speed Ace.
1316 (April 19)
1319 (May 10)
1320 (May 17)
1322 (May 31)
1324 (June 14)
1334 (August 23) The story ends in this issue.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Thanks for pointing me to those Adam, and Derek for the dates. I do have all of those examples but always on the lookout so any help is much appreciated. I have over fifty Champion MC covers but I am sure there are many more?
Also just picked up my second Champion Library MC cover and story no55 so pleased with that. They are not easy to find.