Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Motorcycle madness 

Can't help with wall of death illos but that Young Marvelman cover is intriguing me. Don't understand why the note is there about re-edited in England. While Marvelman was translated for Italy, Spain, Brazil - and perhaps other countries - they were reprints. And this issue is too early yo be a reprint of earlier issues as happened towards the end of the run. I don't have this, or enough, examples of YM to check.
Unless this issue is an old Cap Marvel Jr. story, redrawn and re-edited to fill a gap in production. A bit naughty if that's the case. Can anyone shed any light on the matter?

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Phoenix wrote, on 'what comics did you buy today': Here is the front cover of issue 1 of the 1922 version. The rear cover has gone walkabout but, as I don't collect The Champion, it doesn't really matter. A few years back I bought a run from that first issue as far as the last issue of 1926 from Billy Nicholls, a friend of mine who lives in the Wirral.

Phoenix do you still have those Champion? I was wondering if you do could you please have a look at the covers to see if a motorcycle appeared on one? The earliest I have is number 387 dated 29/6/29 'Speedsters of the dirt track' which is possibly the first Speedway story in Champion? There could be an ordinary motorcycle story in your copies? Thank you, no hurry!

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:12 am
Guru

This question may well be unnecessary, matrix, but on the offchance that it isn't, do you have the set of Motor Bike cards that were given to readers of Adventure in 1929? This free gift consisted of 24 cards, each featuring a motor bike. The cards were given away in batches of six over four weeks between 412 (Sep. 21 1929) and 415 (Oct. 12 1929). If you haven't heard of them I'll post a scan of a couple to let you see what they were like.

Wed May 03, 2017 11:21 pm

Phoenix wrote:
This question may well be unnecessary, matrix, but on the offchance that it isn't, do you have the set of Motor Bike cards that were given to readers of Adventure in 1929? This free gift consisted of 24 cards, each featuring a motor bike. The cards were given away in batches of six over four weeks between 412 (Sep. 21 1929) and 415 (Oct. 12 1929). If you haven't heard of them I'll post a scan of a couple to let you see what they were like.

Yes please Phoenix that would be good to see those.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:45 am

In 1978 Byblos productions put out a title called 'Wheels', mostly motorcycle stories. It ran for two issues plus the preview issue scanned below.

A character called 'Jack Justice' was the main story in all the comics, having run for three issues you can tell it was a popular! So not expecting a lot of interest in it but it is what it is part of comic history, at least they tried!
One good thing with not much interest in them you can pick them up in mint condition which suits me!

Attachments:
Wheels1.jpg
Wheels1.jpg [ 271.29 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Wheels0.jpg
Wheels0.jpg [ 278.86 KiB | Viewed 527 times ]
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:06 am

Hi Matrix,

I. Also collect Wheels but I'm not clear how long is lasted - any ideas?

Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:45 pm
Profile WWW

Richard S. wrote:
Hi Matrix,

I. Also collect Wheels but I'm not clear how long is lasted - any ideas?

Hi Richard

As far as I know there were only the two numbered issues no1 and no2 plus the preview, so as it was bi-monthly probably no longer than ten weeks.

Do you think Jack Justice is original or reprinted? They were printed in Italy.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:54 am

There were more issues than that (I'm away from my collection at the moment so can't confirm a number, but will Do so later)

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:32 am
Profile WWW

Ok thanks. I got the info from the uk comic price guide which are usually onto it.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:34 am

ok, so there's
a). the preview issue
b). #1 (dated October/November)
c). #2 (dated Dec 78 / jan 79)
d). Feb/Mar [undated]
e). April/May [undated]
f). June/July [undated]
g). August/September [undated]
h). October/November [undated]

In fact the quality of the last issue I have (which may or may not be THE last issue) is the best in terms of quality.

Happy hunting!

Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:33 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Richard. I have never seen those other issues, I thought there were only the three so had not been looking. I have had mine for a couple of years and got them out the other day when in the mood for a post!

Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 am

Another nice 'Wall of death' cover this time from 'Valiant' 1975.

Attachments:
s.l1600.val.wall.jpg
s.l1600.val.wall.jpg [ 296.65 KiB | Viewed 369 times ]
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2