Too much action: how Action drowned in its own ultraviolence

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Digifiend

Too much action: how Action drowned in its own ultraviolence

Post by Digifiend »

From today's Guardian:
Too much action: how kids' comic Action drowned in its own ultraviolence
Forty years after the sudden demise of a popular 70s comic, David Barnett looks back at its shocking tales of football hooliganism, savage sharks and rampaging teenagers:
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... publishing

comixminx

Re: Too much action: how Action drowned in its own ultraviol

Post by comixminx »

Just read the article. Always good to have the comics we're interested in mentioned in the mainstream press, but it's a bit of a thin article I thought, with no questioning of the received story that we have heard several times before now. Steve MacManus in "The Mighty One" said he thought Action was a bit reckless and pushing it too far, not judging it as neatly as at the beginning of the run of Action. I thought that was an interesting take on it, it'd be good to have heard from a few more voices from the past on this.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have the 2000 AD documentary and Mills was saying there that the cover with the anarchist kids turned out looking like a policeman was about to be assaulted on the cover, but really it was a muck-up in the colouring dept, with the policemans' helmet just happening to be lying there seperately.

dishes

Post by dishes »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I have the 2000 AD documentary and Mills was saying there that the cover with the anarchist kids turned out looking like a policeman was about to be assaulted on the cover, but really it was a muck-up in the colouring dept, with the policemans' helmet just happening to be lying there seperately.

Because who cares when mere civilians are attacked with a chain? Just as long as the bobbies are respected.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes.

Attacking cops is more anti-Establishment than 'merely' civilians getting a hiding from thugs, and the likes of Nationwide with Frank Bough would have been foaming at the mouth at this one.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

What I found ridiculous was that it was obvious that the guy being attacked was wearing a suit and not a policeman's uniform.

It was a manufactured moral panic and it was a deliberate closure of a stream of criticism aimed in the general direction of the establishment.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!