buyer v seller

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

abacus

buyer v seller

Post by abacus »

In a collectors shop I was faced with thousands of comics un-priced and the thought occurred to me this may be more of an advantage to the seller rather than the buyer. In this particular shop the seller an amicable chap said that if I brought any of the comics to the counter he would give me a price.He mentioned the internet a lot so presumably he would check each item on the internet before quoting a price.I didn't like the idea of wandering up to the counter with comics and he quoting a price I didn't like and then me having to place them all back in the boxes.
I could see that if he had priced the comics and that they had sat around for ages customers could find bargains whereas with him waiting to see the latest prices he would gain the maximum benefit from selling them.
From a buyers point of view I would prefer either a blanket price for all comics or at least individually priced items.
In this particular shop which I wouldn't consider cheap price wise I just concentrated on the few comics that did have prices on them.
I admit I belong to the poundland collectors guild but finding bargains is part of the fun of this hobby just because I may be able to afford to buy a Rolls Royce doesn't mean I have to buy one. :)

Adam Eterno

Re: buyer v seller

Post by Adam Eterno »

abacus wrote:In a collectors shop I was faced with thousands of comics un-priced and the thought occurred to me this may be more of an advantage to the seller rather than the buyer. In this particular shop the seller an amicable chap said that if I brought any of the comics to the counter he would give me a price.He mentioned the internet a lot so presumably he would check each item on the internet before quoting a price.I didn't like the idea of wandering up to the counter with comics and he quoting a price I didn't like and then me having to place them all back in the boxes.
I could see that if he had priced the comics and that they had sat around for ages customers could find bargains whereas with him waiting to see the latest prices he would gain the maximum benefit from selling them.
From a buyers point of view I would prefer either a blanket price for all comics or at least individually priced items.
In this particular shop which I wouldn't consider cheap price wise I just concentrated on the few comics that did have prices on them.
I admit I belong to the poundland collectors guild but finding bargains is part of the fun of this hobby just because I may be able to afford to buy a Rolls Royce doesn't mean I have to buy one. :)

What a funny way of conducting business?! I think I'd give that kind of shop a miss unless I was desperate for a particular issue. I wonder where he was researching on the internet? If he was looking at Phil Shrimpton's results, he'd be doubling the prices!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Most that were priced started at around £3.50 for ones I could buy for less at my usual comic places and I did ask if by buying two or more I could get a discount but he wasn't prepared to budge .He probably had the correct shop prices but not a good buyers price for me.For instance he had a lot of 2000AD comics at a £1 each whereas I've passed them up at other shops for 50p or less.He said he hadn' t got around to pricing them yet but the thousands on show I think pricing them will take a long time I did however buy one of the very cheapest priced ones I could find at £2.75p having spent ages rummaging through the boxes.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Where's the shop?

abacus

Post by abacus »

Adam Eterno wrote:Where's the shop?
It is a collectors shop in Blackpool to the right off rawcliffs road ( I think that's the name )and runs on a street one up parallel with the beach .It sells collector toys as well and all the comics are in a room at the back.All the comics are indexed but I could not find many that were priced.
I enjoyed looking around it though.
I have to go to the lounge or have to go to a certain part of the room to get the internet connection at the hotel ( back home wednesday to proper internet connection) :D but if possible will give exact details of shop location later.

(Addition)

Bond Street, Blackpool online as http://www.dreammaker-toys.co.uk
Not my kind of prices anyway but interesting to look around comic room at the back of the shop.
A day trip out today , hello internet, losing contact, hello-------anyone there ----h-----

abacus

Post by abacus »

Last day of holiday and having bought 8 comics today from oxfam in Lancaster thought my spending was over but noticed on the way back into Blackpool that Infinity comics was open so rushed in before closing and bought 12 ×50p comics, is there no end to the spending ?need to save . :)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

When I go to the ephemera fair I see things I like that are not priced. I find it awkward to ask the price and then visibly pale and stagger back when the price is too high. Unless I am desperate for the item I will generally pass it up. Sellers would do better business if customers could see a price.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

abacus wrote:is there no end to the spending? need to save.
I think the answer is self-control, abacus. One alternative would be to leave your house with only enough money for a burger and a coffee, another could be to stitch up your pockets. If you are in the habit of paying with a debit card, you might consider cutting it up into small pieces and binning the pieces. If, after giving these options a go, you find that you are still shelling out like there's no tomorrow, you would need to consider consulting a hypnotherapist or some other professional shrink in order to undergo appropriate aversion therapies. If you have any other out-of-control spending issues, such as smoking cigarettes or overeating for example, you could get the shrink to deal with those as well while you are in the consulting room. Whichever route you choose, and you do need to select one of them, I genuinely wish you the best of luck with it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:When I go to the ephemera fair I see things I like that are not priced. I find it awkward to ask the price and then visibly pale and stagger back when the price is too high.
Having once wandered round a London ephemera fair with you, Steve, you may recall that we did discuss this matter at the time. My suggestion was, and still would be, simply to ask the seller how much the item is, then buy it if you feel it is good value, or say Thanks, I'll think about it, and replace the item on the seller's stall. No matter how embarrassed you may be feeling, the seller will not notice it as he/she will only be focused on the possibility of a sale. To dealers you are just a punter, nothing more.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course, if you think a price is too high you can always make a lower offer. At fairs I find the majority of dealers are happy to split the difference; I wouldn't recommend this approach at Sainsburys however!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I do suffer from social anxiety so try to avoid interaction with dealers as I find small talk mortifying. I retired on May 31st so am having to count the pennies. I took £18 to the comic fair on Sunday and spent the lot on six holiday specials.

Correction I was made redundant but took retirement as I'm 61 but I would like to get back into work for a few more years.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Back home at last to a decent internet connection.
Regarding comments earlier on comic spending I don't shell out a lot but I do wonder if comic buying has become a bit of an addiction for me , whenever I go anywhere I am always on the lookout for comic sales.I suppose an addict is the last to become aware of an addiction.
Thanks, I think self awareness is the order of the day. :D
When collecting I suppose comic rarities are the first objective followed by items that are slightly different from the norm and also cover art and inside comic art are things to be considered.
I buy comics not for selling purposes but am mindful of how easy they will be to sell near or above the prices I pay.
Last edited by abacus on 05 Jul 2017, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I was made redundant but took retirement as I'm 61 but I would like to get back into work for a few more years.
Well just do it, Steve. I did. I retired at 60 from my post as Head of the Spanish Department at Maghull High School, and took a Works Pension based on 34 years in the classroom, plus 4 that I was permitted to buy in. When I add in the State Pension that appears in my account on the 16th of every month, I never have to check my bank statement to see whether I have enough money when a tempting batch of issues of Mandy or M&J pop up on eBay. Furthermore, I had barely retired and got my feet under the table when a good friend of mine, originally the Head of Modern Languages at Wirral Grammar School for Girls but at that time Chief Education Officer for the Wirral, rang up and asked me if I fancied doing a full-time supply job for him. I said I wouldn't mind so he fixed it up. I just did two terms for him, and the following Septrmber I got as much or as little work as I wanted from Sue Scholes at Sefton Supplies. I remember ringing her up one day in order to tell her that I had decided to retire completely, but before I could say any more she said Ah, Derek, you couldn't do Stanley High for me tomorrow, could you? I can never say No to a lady so I was still there two terms later. I only got out then because I had a cancerous prostate whose removal was rather more important that taking 2G's register.

abacus

Post by abacus »

Phoenix wrote:and the following Septrmber
Surely that's not you Phoenix ,have you got a stand -in typing for you ? :)

starscape

Post by starscape »

It seem's veery doubt-full
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies