Price increases

Talk here about just about anything associated with British comics or story papers and the industry that does not fit in any other forum.
There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Adam Eterno

Price increases

Post by Adam Eterno »

I was just musing......

I sold a 2000AD #2 with Biotronic Stickers on Ebay last week for £400. As I was carefully wrapping it up, I was looking at the cover and saw the original price was 8p.

Being a numbers guy, I couldn't help but think of the massive 5000x increase in value over 40 years and worked out that the annual compound interest on that 8p was an unbelievable almost 24% pa for 40 years!!! To put it into perspective, a £20k house at the time would now be worth £109m at the same annual compound rate.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I so wish I'd spent a little more of my pocket money on comics rather than split the funds with my stamp collecting!

Even The Beano #1 doesn't match that annual compound rate or it would be worth £480k! Is there any other British comic with that level of massive increase in value?

koollectablz

Re: Price increases

Post by koollectablz »

Hmmmmm.

The pulped Action 23rd October 1976 - 7p to £4k

Less than a year earlier than the 2000AD #2, but 10x more increase in value.

Also the Rupert Bear annual 1973 (brown face cover) 53p to £22k.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I sold fourteen Neal Adams Batman/Detectives yesterday which I bought for around 6p each in the early seventies. I got £500 for them. Now I am retired I need to make up my former salary somehow and you can't take comics to the grave.

koollectablz

Post by koollectablz »

Can't beat a bit of Adams Batman goodness.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:Now I am retired I need to make up my former salary somehow and you can't take comics to the grave.
I had similar concerns when I retired completely from teaching at Easter 2008, Steve. I had little choice as I had to go into hospital to have a cancerous prostate removed, and you can't then just pop back into work (as a supply teacher at that time) with a colostomy bag strapped to your leg. The trick I found was to adjust to the changed circumstances. That meant wanting less, making do as far as possible with what I already had. The surgeon told me during the first post-operative review that the successful operation had given me a good ten more years of life. I hope that was an underestimate as I've had nine and a half of those so far!!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm 61 and, when you turn 60, it occurs to you you might only have twenty years to go at the most. It'll take me that long to sell off my collection. But there are things I will keep forever like my Real Western magazines and my Charlton comics which I have always had a soft spot for. And my Power comics of course.

I would urge all middle agen men here to have a prostate check. I had one a year or so ago. Not nice but could be life saving. Try to avoid a biopsy though as they can be more trouble than necessary. I think they have a scan now that is less invasive and has no horrible side effects.

I was pleased that I managed to live within my pension for the first month, Tesco's four cans of bitter for a pound helps although I miss my Bass, Tetleys Smooth, Boddingtons etc. (I have one can a day when I get home). I heard a few years back that drinking in moderation is good for you.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:It'll take me that long to sell off my collection.
Why sell it off at all? When I peg out my two lads know already that my possessions are to be sold, and the money they raise divided equally between them. In the meantime the story papers/comics are going nowhere because they are a resource that I am constantly referring to or, more pleasurably, reading. Actually, reading over and over again. As an example, I am currently completing the story listing in Debbie. I could have finished it yesterday but for giving in to the temptation to read some of her interesting serials along the way. Just twelve issues to go and then I'll dig out my issues of Tracy. I'm only thirteen of the 277 issues missing, no two consecutive, and notes on all thirteen from the British Library, so a stress-free task awaits, and I like stress-free tasks. Oh, and before you mention it, there are several excellent serials in Tracy that will be calling out "Read me!, Read me!". I know, I know, I've got a low resistance to temptation. That's how I ended up with all these comics in the first place. But are they not great Thomson products? Of course they are. :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Wouldn't want to lumber my nieces with thousands of comics. They wouldn't know what to do with them.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

my brother has already said my 1000s of comics are going in the skip when i die :lol: :( :(

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

big bad bri wrote:my brother has already said my 1000s of comics are going in the skip when i die
Just will them to somebody else and then he won't be able to get his hands on them. You :cheers: Him :headbash:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Debbie's in the can, Tracy's on my desk. I have now listed 3609 serials, 1309 (Emma, Diana, Suzy, M&J, Nikki, Spellbound and Debbie) plus 1236 (Judy) and 1064 (Mandy). Just Tracy and Bunty to log. I think a cup of coffee is called for before I continue.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Adam Eterno wrote:I was just musing......

I sold a 2000AD #2 with Biotronic Stickers on Ebay last week for £400. As I was carefully wrapping it up, I was looking at the cover and saw the original price was 8p.

Being a numbers guy, I couldn't help but think of the massive 5000x increase in value over 40 years and worked out that the annual compound interest on that 8p was an unbelievable almost 24% pa for 40 years!!! To put it into perspective, a £20k house at the time would now be worth £109m at the same annual compound rate.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I so wish I'd spent a little more of my pocket money on comics rather than split the funds with my stamp collecting!

Even The Beano #1 doesn't match that annual compound rate or it would be worth £480k! Is there any other British comic with that level of massive increase in value?
As I've mentioned here a few times before, I sold a copy of 2000AD No. 2 with stickers a few years ago for just over £600. Sounds like its value is falling! :lol: (Although it depends on catching the right buyer at the right time of course. One could sell for twice that amount next week.)

David McDonald

Post by David McDonald »

Interesting conversation, I helped my cousin sort my late Uncles possession's a few years back. He had an amazing collection of books, mostly Westerns and Sci Fi, an odd mix, records, Lladro figures, Hornby sets, comics and Photos.

While some were saying it would be worth a fortune, besides a handful of items it was mostly worthless. 10 year previous it may have made a considerable amount, but that was not why he had it. He lived in a small house in a rural Irish town, he would put on a Jazz record and read his Westerns or a Moorcock novel. The value of his collection was immaterial, he just enjoyed it, like someone would going to a match or the pub.

The experience did make me evaluate my own collection, I know none of my kids will want thousands of comics filling their front room when I kick the bucket, and by that stage (hopefully!) anyone else who is interested in issue 2 of 2000AD will also be in the same position:)

So with that in mind I have been selling original art, which was previously an add on to the comics, but other that looking great on the wall, I have more sentimental value in the battered Whoopee comic from 1984, and likewise for the American material I have amassed over the years that I have not looked at, they are for shifting. The stuff that I love however, the British material from 70 up worth a fortune or not, they are staying, bar misfortune!

abacus

Post by abacus »

Hopefully some collections finish up in charity shops or car boot sales making my endless wear on shoe leather visiting these places worthwhile. :D
No family members are interested in my comic collection my wife hinting at a bonfire, but my eldest son spends time on Ebay so I think he will dispose of them.
One other thing ,the odd occasion where I have bought something and found a fault in the item I have placed a note inside highlighting the fact and what about those facsimiles will they take them for the real thing? :) Beano No.1 for example.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There's telltale signs on that Beano. The reprints are stapled, the original isn't. The original is newsprint, reprints are probably on better quality paper. There may also be pages missing, it should be 28 pages.